• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are we so attached to our comics?

85 posts in this topic

I would PM you for a half price deal anyways.

:ohnoez:

But seriously, I go to our local comic convention on my birthday,

rather than my family giving me a party..

I know I have issues.....

lots of them......

:idea:

It isn't that - as I mentioned before, I have been told on this very board that those issues are far too common and unless they are UHG, no one here would want them. Looking back at most of my past sales threads, I think those terms have proven correct.

No worries, and thanks for all the kinds words.

:)

-slym

I have wondered the same thing myself, and I am not a collector. I only have about 30 comics, none of which are worth anything, that I look at about twice a year, but I WILL NOT GET RID OF THEM. I think on some level some people feel like somewhat of a fraud if they get rid of their collections. Even with my paltry 30, I wonder if I can say I like comic books if I don't actually *own* any. Will I feel weird getting in to a discussion about the merits/pitfalls of the latest Marvel movie if I can't pull out a comic book with the character I'm discussing? Also, a comic book collection is something, frivolous though some may find it, that you have put time/money/effort/research/love into. SO why *would* it be easy to get rid of? :-)

I love my comics for so many reasons..the ones my Papa bought me,the ones I bought to read with him,the ones I got at yard sales as a kid,bought off of spinners,gifts from boardies(a huge shout out to everyone here that has been uber kind,you ken I love you forever!) runs I have completed,runs I need to complete,comics I bought just for the covers......NOSTALGIA!and they smell great!

And they give me a reason to keep on hanging out here and talking to all you fine folks! :foryou::angel::hi:

Have to day this is one of the most interesting threads I have read on these boards. Truly thoughtful responses, serious soul searching for a fellow boardie and not a snarky comment in the bunch.

Clearly there are a ton of reasons why we collect and maybe sometimes over collect and it was great to hear people reflect in this forum. No right or wrong answers, just our own reasons that go with our story. Slym, thanks for posting so we could all benefit. Keep positive as I'm sure things will turn around soon. Best of luck.

I can't sell anything....

I've let a couple of things go here and there, and the only ones that never bothered me where sales to fellow Boardies I knew were going to appreciate the books.

They are like little pets I worry over.

Yep. I'm a weird dude.

anyway, the point is, its hard because it's something you've dedicated yourself to and are proud of and over time it has become a part of you..

This is very true

I think most of you know I am not in the best situation, and money is never plentiful for me. So, with all these collectables, why can't I bring myself to sell them? It took a painful effort to start selling my books, but as I get closer to "my REAL collection," i.e., the books I personally bought off of the stands, I find myself dragging my heels to get them out, get pics or scans, and sell them. It's taken MONTHS to get my UXM from 94-130 scanned, graded, and now I only have 3 left from that group, and it has been weeks (months?) since I have listed any others. When I get to #171 (the one I first bought off the stands) I think I am gonna have a breakdown. What is gonna happen to me from 171 to #472, when I stopped collecting? And...

Why? Why the HELL am I so attached to these? Why do I literally have a minor panic attack when I even think of getting them out to sell? They aren't even worth that much money, but it is 300+ issues of a book I put my childhood into. My "adjectiveless" X-Men goes from 1 to 172, and my Wolverine goes from 50 to the end of vol. 2 (183?) and then the first 30 or issues of vol. 3. I need to just go ahead and get what I can for them and do what I need to.

I can't be the only one who ever felt like that. All you that have turned over your collections at least once, how did you cope? Am I really that weak inside? If I can sell off those mutant titles, and my VALIANT collection, I would have maybe a long box of comics left, some of those I bought recently on speculation.

I guess this is some sort of cry for help...

:(

-slym

I too am selling my collection and could have expressed my feeling almost verbatum. I am really struggling to let go of my cherished memories from my youth. I drag my feet getting pictures and determining prices to let them go for.

I would PM you for a half price deal anyways.

:ohnoez:

But seriously, I go to our local comic convention on my birthday,

rather than my family giving me a party..

I know I have issues.....

lots of them......

:idea:

It isn't that - as I mentioned before, I have been told on this very board that those issues are far too common and unless they are UHG, no one here would want them. Looking back at most of my past sales threads, I think those terms have proven correct.

No worries, and thanks for all the kinds words.

-slym

If your putting these on EBay make sure to use good key words in the title for buyers to look at your auctions.

Price and condition yes are a factor, but having more eyeballs look at your auction is another one. Make sure your keywords stand out

I wish you the best of luck on these.

(thumbs u

Have to day this is one of the most interesting threads I have read on these boards. Truly thoughtful responses, serious soul searching for a fellow boardie and not a snarky comment in the bunch.

Clearly there are a ton of reasons why we collect and maybe sometimes over collect and it was great to hear people reflect in this forum. No right or wrong answers, just our own reasons that go with our story. Slym, thanks for posting so we could all benefit. Keep positive as I'm sure things will turn around soon. Best of luck.

You trying to make me cry or something?

;)

Thanks for your kind words, Bronx!

-slym

I just had to do the same thing. I am facing foreclosure having been out of work since last November and just finished selling 85% of my collection. Over 1,100 books. Got enough to pay my bills for a month while i look for a job.

After I sold them I was suprised how relieved I was as I dragged these books from house to house and from Ny to NJ. I kept my personal favorite books that fit it into a nice storage box. I was so not wanting to sell them but again suprised how I feel afterwords. Glad I did it. Well really didnt have a choice but again glad i sold them.

Slym,

I'm with you. I can't bring myself to sell almost any book. Detachment is just not an option and I really pray it never has to be. Having said that, I do realize there are more important things in life.... and if I ever needed too I will do what needs to be done, and sell... but trust me, I will exhaust every other single option out there before being forced to sell.

What scares me more than selling?

I can't stop buying. I want more.

THAT'S what scares me the most. It's like a never ending battle.

Slym,

I'm with you. I can't bring myself to sell almost any book. Detachment is just not an option and I really pray it never has to be. Having said that, I do realize there are more important things in life.... and if I ever needed too I will do what needs to be done, and sell... but trust me, I will exhaust every other single option out there before being forced to sell.

What scares me more than selling?

I can't stop buying. I want more.

THAT'S what scares me the most. It's like a never ending battle.

It really is...

Once one run or set is complete, there is always another....

I guess I've had them for so many years now that the only thing I can

think of doing with them is passing them on to my sons!

mm

I sold my entire collection down to one long box (approximately 250 comics). It was tough to do, but afterwards was very liberating and I wouldn't go back. I committed to not adding anything to the box over a year ago. I only gave into weakness once since then, for an ASM129. And the only reason this book got to me is that was a book I had saved up for as a kid, bought one, then sold it off for something stupid in my late teens. I felt it needed to be replaced and I had the right opportunity. Nothing else added though, and nothing I'm even thinking about now.

The stuff I kept were the keys that I really wanted to have in my collection, and a few of those nostalgia books (first comic book bought, first "expensive" saved up for book, etc.). I'm very happy with this collection and now I'm more interested in reading collected editions or digitally (content over possession).

If I found myself in the financial bind you're in, slym, I think I could bring myself to sell the rest, but it would be tough. Could you pick out a handful of super important to you keepers to help you be more okay with selling the rest?

this is a great thread,really good pointers I had to really slow down on buying books :( recently went way over budget,now I'm back to just buying my monthly pull list and an occasional trade no more keys for awhile but everytime I'm on here I get that itch I love comics,I feel like I know the characters and once I read one issue of a new character I like I gotta have there first appearance in high grade,there every series it gets a little much lol!! :blahblah:

OK, just listed UXM 138-150, all as BIN's... spent $4 on the listings, something I am not used to! Damn eBay and their new rules!!! If I sell a few, I might be able to pick up buying MD and EoW where I left off... maybe...

-slym

I always worry when an issue with "issues" sells quickly - my UXM 139 is gone, had many views and 3-4 watchers within the first hour, then someone hit the BIN. This copy had lots of defects, all clearly shown, and still went like that. *snaps fingers*

:wishluck: that it goes smoothly. If so, then the buyer feels like he got a good deal, and I got the price I was asking.

-slym