• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The I Wish I Owned a Walking Dead #1 and How I Attempt to Fill the Hole Thread

28 posts in this topic

Greetings Boardies,

I wish I owned a Walking Dead #1.

In an effort to fill the hole I picked up:

A. Walking Dead #1 - Wizard World New York Sketch Edition in CGC 9.8

B. Walking Dead #1 - New York Comic Con 10th Anniversary Sketch Edition in CGC 9.8

C. Spawn #222 - Sketch Edition Walking Dead #1 Homage in CGC SS 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane

From time to time I consider picking up a WD #1 Special Edition in CGC 9.8. Those hang out around $220, which is quite a bit more affordable than $1800!

--------------------------

What have you substituted for WD1?

For those that thought you'd never have one, what steps did you take, maneuvers did you make, to add one to your collection?

SpawnmeetsDead_zps5843efce.jpg

How did I fill the void? Grabbed Compendium One. ;)

It was the opposite for me. I read the compendium and then HAD to get the first prints.

There is something about WD #1 that makes people a bit crazy and desperate to get a copy. I remember the feeling well.

Does it have to be 9.8? Does it have to be graded at all? I see raw #1s regularly go for around £500, can't be much different in the States. Now that you mention it I'm currently selling off a bunch of comics, possibly to put towards one myself.

Greetings Boardies,

I wish I owned a Walking Dead #1.

In an effort to fill the hole I picked up:

A. Walking Dead #1 - Wizard World New York Sketch Edition in CGC 9.8

B. Walking Dead #1 - New York Comic Con 10th Anniversary Sketch Edition in CGC 9.8

C. Spawn #222 - Sketch Edition Walking Dead #1 Homage in CGC SS 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane

From time to time I consider picking up a WD #1 Special Edition in CGC 9.8. Those hang out around $220, which is quite a bit more affordable than $1800!

What have you substituted for WD1?

For those that thought you'd never have one, what steps did you take, maneuvers did you make, to add one to your collection?

SpawnmeetsDead_zps5843efce.jpg

Especially since they're going for closer to $2K+ right now.... :sorry:

-J.

My strategy for buying expensive books is this:

1.) I have a comic book fund. It's cash money in an envelope I keep with my collection. This way it's seperate from my normal funds which helps prevent me from spending it on other things.

2.) I put a small amount of money aside into my comic book fund each week. Usually the leftover cash from my spending money for the week. Sometimes its $20, sometimes it's only $5.

3.) I have a side job, and that money goes to the comic book fund as well. I tutor high school math and SAT math on weekends. This works for me and keeps the wife happy, because I'm not pulling money from our savings for comics. All the income we base our bills on doesn't get touched. I tutor, if you can't do that go cut grass or something!! lol

4.) As a last resort I'll sell comics. Sometimes I'm really close to being able to afford an expense comic and if I sell something from my collection I'll have enough. I only sell comics I have doubles of though.

Anyway, that's what I do. (thumbs u

I wouldn't mind owning a Walking Dead #1 but I'd much rather spend the money on a page of original art.

Yup... there are thousands of #1's and only one of each of the original pages. This is how I represent TWD in my collection. It's not impossible to grab an early page for a reasonable price.

Step 1. Find an auction for a cool page from roughly #21 - #34. Nothing too fancy so it is affordable.

Step 2. Make a note of the time the auction ends.

Step 3. Find James J 12 hours before the auction is due to end and smash his mobile phone, then cut his cable and phone lines.

Step 4. Bid in confidence.

Well... that's how I would do it nowadays. Seriously though... of course it's still going to cost quite a bit. There are 2 -3 pages left on Splash Page Art that are in the $225 bracket that heavily feature Rick and are all Adlard (smaller art)... probably the only ones I would consider in that range and likely cheaper than three CGC 9.8 books. The ship has pretty much sailed on both the #1 9.8 and art now though. I was lucky enough to flip a lot of comics when flipping was great so that the hobby paid for itself. Just don't feel any pressure to collect anything you don't personally enjoy, it might not be for you.

Walking%20Dead%20Iss%2088%20pg%204.jpg

Walking%20Dead%20Iss%2089%20pg%2011.jpg

Walking%20Dead%20iss%2078%20pg%2007.jpg

Step 5 : Follow Step 3 to the letter......failing to do so will not end well.

Step 6 : A nice email to James J works some of the time.

Step 7 : If step 3,5 or 6 appears not to be working......you only have to be a little more :insane: then him.

Step 5 : Follow Step 3 to the letter......failing to do so will not end well.

Step 6 : A nice email to James J works some of the time.

Step 7 : If step 3,5 or 6 appears not to be working......you only have to be a little more :insane: then him.

:foryou:

Btw..... Nice pages Garf (thumbs u

I'm saving up for a RAW black label. Really would like to add one to my books. I did hold out for a while for my issue one.

It was very hard for me to pull the trigger at the time. Just seemed and still does that OA is the better deal. The black label can be bought at anytime. One of a kind pages can be locked up forever. IMO