• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hawkman 4 so hard to find in decent condition?

96 posts in this topic

No way this book is worth near that much.

I agree, seems like the herd mentality is making this book a bigger deal than it really is.

It's a lot cheaper than her dad's first appearance. :insane:

Beat the rush and pick up her cousin's first :thumbsup:

As I look to upgrade key issues I'm noticing that Hawkman 4 is particularly hard to find in high grade or even in low grade. I know about the Zantana appeal but why so few? Is it hoarding, speculating or just a scarce issue? hm

I have also noticed that certain DC keys are always hard to get. Adventure Comics 283 (first Zod) is one example. Is there something about DC production in the early silver age that is having this effect now? Any insight or secret sharing is appreciated. :gossip:

Just be happy this book doesn't have a black cover. :flamed: I have a couple of 1965 black covered DC key books that are flat out difficult to find in 8.0 or better grade. And I've been looking on and off since 2007.

Beautiful 9.0.

I don't really want to know what you paid .., but yes I really do. If you don't mind sharing. Oh man I know it's going to be a killer.

I have a lot of copies, ranging from like 2.0 up to, hopefully, about an 8.5.

I've been watching anything about a 9.0 very carefully. I think the price will level off once there's more of them on the market. Although I don't mind selling off my old Magic the Gathering collection to pay for a REALLY nice copy

I paid $575 for the Hawkman #4 and a Brave and Bold #54 CGC 9.0. Both are keepers and unpressed to my knowledge. Figure I paid $200 for the Hawkman.

:luhv: WOW!! I love a good bargain story.

I bought a nice looking copy that's with CGC now for around $50. I didn't know it was popular, I just bought it. The seller didn't know it was popular either. I'm thinking it's going to grade at least a 9?

Someone fill me in: why the heck did this book become so popular all of a sudden?!?!? I just happened to look at this thread and say "hey, I think I subbed that to CGC" and then looked at the EBay price and GPA; holy moley.

I agree with one poster. Action 252 very undervalued and I finally grabbed one; not for the value, just because I've always wanted it. First Poison Ivy, I think if the cover wasn't so weird, it would also have boomed in price. I've looked for a HG copy for a while that wasn't priced off the wall.

Someone fill me in: why the heck did this book become so popular all of a sudden?!?!? I just happened to look at this thread and say "hey, I think I subbed that to CGC" and then looked at the EBay price and GPA; holy moley.

What else; movie rumors of course! :gossip:

With DC trying to emulate Marvel's MCU success rumors abound about which Justice League members will have film appearances including Zatanna.

Not only movie or tv show rumors (she was lover of john constantine , so she could appear in the TV show). It seems that the character is popular with a lot of cosplayers and the book is from 1964 so it doesn´t have a big printing . The art of the cover is great , and thanks to Marvel Dr Strange impact she will fit great in the Magic super heroe trend

Ohh and yes she is hot !

In my opinion one of the best investments of the year and there´s a great opportunity on lower grades

This thread reminded me that I picked one up ages ago on the boards in F+/VF- condition as part of package deal. Has slight spine roll and some NCB creases that should press out.

Only problem is digging the book out and trying to remember what I paid for it.

SA DC 'keys' seem harder to find than Marvel (see SC, BB, etc). This falls under that category too it seems.

What else; movie rumors of course! :gossip:

With DC trying to emulate Marvel's MCU success rumors abound about which Justice League members will have film appearances including Zatanna.

I'm with those who are disgusted by the fact that movies have become the tail that wags the comic book dog.

:mad:

Here anyway is my copy:

15-10-201145607PM.jpg

I bought it so many years ago that I don't have any clue as to what I paid.

(shrug)

As I look to upgrade key issues I'm noticing that Hawkman 4 is particularly hard to find in high grade or even in low grade. I know about the Zantana appeal but why so few? Is it hoarding, speculating or just a scarce issue? hm

I have also noticed that certain DC keys are always hard to get.... Is there something about DC production in the early silver age that is having this effect now? Any insight or secret sharing is appreciated. :gossip:

Pre-1965 DCs are tough to find compared to superhero Marvels because DC comics just weren't collected, i.e. hoarded, to nearly the same extent as Marvels not only at the time of their publication but for decades thereafter! Comics that aren't collected aren't valued. DC comics from that time period were therefore more likely to be abused and pitched. That's why Silver Age Marvel superhero comics are ten (twenty perhaps?) times as common now as DCs.

:preach:

Why though did you feel compelled to duplicate this existing thread on Hawkman 4?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=16&Number=7541397&Searchpage=4&Main=334354&Words=Hawkman&topic=0&Search=true#Post7541397

???

I agree, seems like the herd mentality is making this book a bigger deal than it really is.

Keep in mind though that it's been the herd mentality that has in recent years caused any of these "keys" to outstrip the "value" of their counterparts by miles. Objectively this phenomenon makes no more sense to a disinterested observer than any other wave of speculation that's pushed up the prices of everything from tulip bulbs to high tech stocks in the past.

of course not, it's a DC for one thing

Meaning that there are only 5-10% the copies out there relative to Marvels of a similar age.

Keep in mind though that it's been the herd mentality that has in recent years caused any of these "keys" to outstrip the "value" of their counterparts by miles. Objectively this phenomenon makes no more sense to a disinterested observer than any other wave of speculation that's pushed up the prices of everything from tulip bulbs to high tech stocks in the past.

of course not, it's a DC for one thing

Meaning that there are only 5-10% the copies out there relative to Marvels of a similar age.

and only 2% of the collectors who give a hoot relative to Marvels of a similar age