• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage versus ComicLink!

27 posts in this topic

What are the pluses and minuses of consigning on Heritage versus consigning on ComicLink? What are the factors that would prompt a seller to choose one over the other?

Similarly, are there any pluses or minuses that would cause a buyer to be more likely to participate in one house's auctions rather than the other's? Or is it all comic dependent?

What are your thoughts?

???

10% fee for Comiclink and I believe 19.5% fee for Heritage but I believe if you've got big ticket items or a valuable collection the fee are negotiable.

I think you might have your numbers wrong. HA has a consignment fee of between 0-15% depending on the item, time etc. It's negotiable. the BUYER pays a 19.5% that goes directly to HA, the seller never sees or pays a cent of it. CL charges seller a 10% consignment fee of the hammer price If I remember correctly there either is a very low BP or none at all so that the final hammer price is generally higher (buyer pays what he bids, not what he bids+20%)

What are the pluses and minuses of consigning on Heritage versus consigning on ComicLink? What are the factors that would prompt a seller to choose one over the other?

Similarly, are there any pluses or minuses that would cause a buyer to be more likely to participate in one house's auctions rather than the other's? Or is it all comic dependent?

What are your thoughts?

???

Hepcat, it depends on what you are selling. When consigning to HA you take a risk of where your piece ends up. It could be in a featured quarterly auction (Next one is in august) or it could end up in the weekly auction, which generally does not receive as much traffic or as high of prices (i've actually scored a few pieces below GPA because of this) With Comiclink you pick where it ends up.

10% fee for Comiclink and I believe 19.5% fee for Heritage but I believe if you've got big ticket items or a valuable collection the fee are negotiable.

I think you might have your numbers wrong. HA has a consignment fee of between 0-15% depending on the item, time etc. It's negotiable. the BUYER pays a 19.5% that goes directly to HA, the seller never sees or pays a cent of it. CL charges seller a 10% consignment fee of the hammer price If I remember correctly there either is a very low BP or none at all so that the final hammer price is generally higher (buyer pays what he bids, not what he bids+20%)

Still, that's 19.5% that goes to Heritage rather than to the consignor. You absolutely have to consider that when deciding who to consign books to.

And to the OP, shouldn't CC be part of this discussion, as well? They had some great results last night.

Still, that's 19.5% that goes to Heritage rather than to the consignor. You absolutely have to consider that when deciding who to consign books to.

And to the OP, shouldn't CC be part of this discussion, as well? They had some great results last night.

That 19.5% doesn't always all go to Heritage.

This is a really interesting discussion. I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread.

But taking the rates out of it for a minute (assume a hypothetical scenario where the fees are the same) would you consign a big collection to HA or Clink? Would it depend on what you have?

Do GA comics do better in one spot? SA comics? Does the discussion change much if you are talking about original art instead of comics? Is a HA featured better than a Clink featured? is a Clink focused better than a HA weekly?

This relates real closely to something I've been struggling with for the last few weeks and would love to hear peoples' thoughts.

This is a really interesting discussion. I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread.

But taking the rates out of it for a minute (assume a hypothetical scenario where the fees are the same) would you consign a big collection to HA or Clink? Would it depend on what you have?

Do GA comics do better in one spot? SA comics? Does the discussion change much if you are talking about original art instead of comics? Is a HA featured better than a Clink featured? is a Clink focused better than a HA weekly?

This relates real closely to something I've been struggling with for the last few weeks and would love to hear peoples' thoughts.

:hi: Hey Filter. Personally I think Ha featured auctions trump all other auctions because they are the only true auctions (auctioneer calling the lots and trying to extract out higher bids. I think Ha featured is hard to beat for OA, especially the high end of it. Some of this could probably be extrapolated by looking at each houses last three major auctions and prices realized.

Would ComicConnect offer as much exposure as the other two? Does Heritage still publish a big Signature Auction catalogue? Does ComicLink publish any catalogues or is it all online?

???

CC gets great exposure. Don't forget they are owned by Metropolis, and they have the Guinness record for highest comic sale. (ugh I feel dirty shilling for them lol) Heritage publishes a catalogue. They are sent free to some people but others have to pay $30 for it each time or you can subscribe (I just called them the last time I won something and asked to be put on the mailing list they said no problem and I'm on it now) CC also does a nice catalogue . I've never gotten a catalogue from CL so I don't know. Hope that helps Hepcat.

CC gets great exposure. Don't forget they are owned by Metropolis, and they have the Guinness record for highest comic sale. (ugh I feel dirty shilling for them lol) Heritage publishes a catalogue. They are sent free to some people but others have to pay $30 for it each time or you can subscribe (I just called them the last time I won something and asked to be put on the mailing list they said no problem and I'm on it now) CC also does a nice catalogue . I've never gotten a catalogue from CL so I don't know. Hope that helps Hepcat.
CL has a catalog, at least for OA, not sure about comics though.

A lot of times "pure timing" decides where you consign. You get a book back too late for a feature auction that has begun or the catalog deadline has passed, so its wait or consign to the next best auction. I will never consign to HA.com. Clink will be first and Ebay or CC is my second choice

A lot of times "pure timing" decides where you consign. You get a book back too late for a feature auction that has begun or the catalog deadline has passed, so its wait or consign to the next best auction. I will never consign to HA.com. Clink will be first and Ebay or CC is my second choice

Good point. A lot of it comes down to timing too. (Which auction is up next, which auction coming up has the best stuff in it etc)

For me its Comiclink & Heritage at 1A and 1B. eBay is a nice venue for cheap stuff or for expensive stuff that will sell well anywhere (an AF 15 for instance is going to sell for about the same anywhere but eBay's FVFs max out at $250)

I've never consigned anywhere else.

why never HA.com (shrug)

What are your thoughts?

???

Comiclink only sells slabbed books, is that right?

If you have time, there's no need to consign your books to anyone. You can list them on eBay, CC and CL and set your price (within reason) and eventually all books will sell.

I don't consign books to any of the major auction houses b/c frankly, I can achieve the same price, and many times higher, on my own. And I pay zero selling fees on our site or here. On occasion we sell on eBay, we get fantastic prices, usually all-time GPA highs.

I see no need to give pigs any additional monies....should keep them for yourself (or find a cheaper option...like us at 5%).

The flip side is if you're a forced seller, then all bets are off (probably CL IMO).

What are your thoughts?

???

Comiclink only sells slabbed books, is that right?

No they have raw books listed....just rarely have photos.

Yea CC you're right but certain books do better at auction. Look at the last CL event auction. Tons of all time highs that were 2x GPA all time highs. If I had posted the DD#1 6.5 they sold on here for $2,000 I would have gotten dozens of PM's asking me if I had lost my mind asking for $600 more than GPA and I'm sure tons of "GLWTS". Meanwhile that book hammered on CL for $2600... There were numerous examples of "strong" sales. I just need the price to hammer 7% higher than what I can get on the boards and I am making a better profit