• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP TEN Things Learned from Latest Comic Connect Auction

26 posts in this topic

With apologies to Letterman....

10) Any auction that's more than 10 days long is too long

9) "Extended Bidding Time" is a good idea but should not last longer than 1 minute each

8) Tape on a key book? Does not matter, it will sell high

7) Books that do not sell at all on these boards will sell for 30% more during a

Comic Connect auction

6) "Incomplete" copy of a key book? Does not matter, it will sell high

5) Lower grade copies of key book will sell for 60%+ more than a readily available, higher grade copy during a Comic Connect auction

4) One or two outlier sales causes everyone to believe their books have suddenly skyrocketed in value overnight

3) Brittle paged copy of key book? Does not matter, it will sell high

2) Restored copies of key book? Does not matter, it will sell high

1) Even major comic book auction houses can have obvious shill bidding.

-J.

Looks to me that CC is the auction house to consign your books to get top dollar.

Really depends on the book. For keys and hot books, the prices were high. For second and third rank books, less so, I think.

10) Any auction that's more than 10 days long is too long

This, times 1 Million

I don't know about that as it seems to be the norm.

Comic Connect and CLink seem to utilize two weeks of bidding for their listings. Heritage Sunday auctions are for one week but their event auctions are longer.

In my humble opinion, from a seller's perspective it is obviously best for them.

From a buyers perspective it also allows for ample opportunity to research certain books to determine whether or not they want to drop certain amounts of money on certain books.

Looks to me that CC is the auction house to consign your books to get top dollar.
you Speak from experience :)

I've had my books auctioned off at practically every major auction house (CC, CL, HA, Ebay) and from the four, I did the best in CC. Yes, I guess quality and key books will get the best selling prices, but not all the time. Timing is important I agree. Event auctions are the better venues to sell books rather than the monthly auctions to realize higher sale prices. I'm sure a few of us forget or don't even look at the monthly auctions.

I've had my books auctioned off at practically every major auction house (CC, CL, HA, Ebay) and from the four, I did the best in CC. Yes, I guess quality and key books will get the best selling prices, but not all the time. Timing is important I agree. Event auctions are the better venues to sell books rather than the monthly auctions to realize higher sale prices. I'm sure a few of us forget or don't even look at the monthly auctions.

Maybe the catalogs really do make a difference?

Maybe the catalogs really do make a difference?

As well as all the other advertisements

And the time payment option is really gold for a consignor when there are big dollar books involved.

What are the conditions as to how the seller is paid if the buyer opts for time payments? Does Metropolis pay the seller in installments, upfront in full or upfront if the seller opts in at a loss?

And the time payment option is really gold for a consignor when there are big dollar books involved.

What are the conditions as to how the seller is paid if the buyer opts for time payments? Does Metropolis pay the seller in installments, upfront in full or upfront if the seller opts in at a loss?

Always wondered myself. My guess payment in full once time payments over.

Installments after CC gets paid.

I should add that they are more flexible than others on the time payments so you may be able to negotiate something else.

Always wondered myself. My guess payment in full once time payments over.

They will give cash advances up front too.