• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a Curator Pedigree ?

37 posts in this topic

Realizing I am really being outspoken about this, I just cannot believe this is a Curator Pedigree. I strongly believe the heritage of a pedigree should be maintained. With the grease mark date, possibly this is an Ohio pedigree but a Curator pedigree, I don't think so. CGC, tell me I am wrong and you have documentation directly from John Hauser.

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pgs-CURATOR-Pedigree-1st-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-/310957916858?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48668942ba

JS_atom34.jpg

Historically, CGC has been very diligent about maintaining the integrity of a pedigree. However, it seems like the current regime needs little to no validation for a pedigree status. Years ago, I purchased, direct from the OO collection, many Mass Pedigree comics. I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status. I am sorry but I am speaking out. There are many books out there with a Mass pedigree status that I know are not. I am calling out CGC to pursue more diligence in granting pedigree status. I think it is important for the hobby. Feel free to contact me if desired.

The only person currently employed by CGC that I'd trust to verify pedigrees is Mark Haspel, but as he's only consulting these days, I don't know how many hours he spends there each week.

Further clarification. Years ago, when I was submitting my Mass pedigree books, Mark Haspel personally validated my claims. I waited months for my submissions to be finalized while he made the appropriate phone calls. Kudos to Mark and CGC. However, in today's 'let's get it out the door fast' environment CGC seems to simply takes the word of the submitter. This is not good for the hobby. I am speaking out. I think pedigree integrity should be acknowledged. Does anybody else agree with me ????

The only person currently employed by CGC that I'd trust to verify pedigrees is Mark Haspel, but as he's only consulting these days, I don't know how many hours he spends there each week.

Agreed. I was once told that no pedigree designated book was finalized until Mark looked at the book = he personally reviewed every pedigree book submitted. I have no idea what goes on today.

yep I agree,

I had a bunch of Big apple TTA submitted but that was many years ago in the steve , haspel days

And one thing with the silver age side of that pedigree is the shadows on the back covers that stand out

at least with the newer pedigrees , twin cities savannah ect. they are going straight to auction after being slabbed

I agree with you but are you contacting the person who is submitting them as Mass copies and asking them why? I understand it is frustrating but frankly I would like to know who is doing stuff like this. Mass copies really don't have any specific trait and I was the 2nd collector to buy from the collection when Marnin brought them to market. They didn't come with Certificates. I basically had them noted in my database as Mass copies and that was how they were sold. If you showed me a raw Mass copy that I didn't know I would have a hard time calling it a "mass copy" just from its appearance.

Marnin would have the "master list", I would think that CGC would have it.

Is Lewisway gallery the "other Heritage" as I call it?

Historically, CGC has been very diligent about maintaining the integrity of a pedigree. However, it seems like the current regime needs little to no validation for a pedigree status. Years ago, I purchased, direct from the OO collection, many Mass Pedigree comics. I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status. I am sorry but I am speaking out. There are many books out there with a Mass pedigree status that I know are not. I am calling out CGC to pursue more diligence in granting pedigree status. I think it is important for the hobby. Feel free to contact me if desired.

It sounds like you are saying you sold the books as Mass Peds and some were not, but I'm assuming you meant you sold them books that were not peds, but they submitted them and got the ped status from CGC. If that is the case, then you should call those buyers/submitters and they should be called out about it.

Realizing I am really being outspoken about this, I just cannot believe this is a Curator Pedigree. I strongly believe the heritage of a pedigree should be maintained. With the grease mark date, possibly this is an Ohio pedigree but a Curator pedigree, I don't think so. CGC, tell me I am wrong and you have documentation directly from John Hauser.

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pgs-CURATOR-Pedigree-1st-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-/310957916858?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48668942ba

We will be contacting the seller to try to get the book back.

Mark is here as his time permits - usually a few days per week. Mark, Matt Nelson and I verify pedigrees.

I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status.

If anyone feels we got something wrong, please email me at plitch@cgccomics.com. We will be happy to look into it. If we make mistakes, we always do our best to correct them. Thanks for bringing this to our attention (thank you, Bob Storms, for emailing me directly.)

Mark is here as his time permits - usually a few days per week. Mark, Matt Nelson and I verify pedigrees.

I didn't think about Matt. He's a great resource. (thumbs u

Yeah I'm still waiting for my coffee table pedigree book.

bob

Yeah I'm still waiting for my coffee table pedigree book.

bob

I'm still waiting for the pedigree book too. :(

I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status.

If anyone feels we got something wrong, please email me at plitch@cgccomics.com. We will be happy to look into it. If we make mistakes, we always do our best to correct them. Thanks for bringing this to our attention (thank you, Bob Storms, for emailing me directly.)

That Storms, he's everywhere.