• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed...thanks everyone...

43 posts in this topic

I would give it a 1.5 but the back looks like water damage.

I would also think it is definitely not a 2.0. 1.8 is the highest I could see this book getting, but I still think 1.0

I have a 2.0 FF5 that presents much nicer but was hammered because of a weak spine. Yours also has a very weak spine in addition to numerous tears.

I'd still love to have your book though (thumbs u

Thanks Red...but obviously you are in the majority...a 1.0 is just silly...

Good thing about Hulk 1 seems that from 1.0 to 2.0 the can still go near or more than $3K or better.

A 1.0 and a 1.8 is a very different book....I asked about another Hulk 1 awhile back and most gave that a 1.0 or better and that had a huge piece missing....

Look up a 1.0 in Overstreet. I gave specifics about a 1.5 and 2.0 in this post....

I find based on O this book should be an easy 2.0....that said...I might even concede a 1.8 on a bad grade day...but to drop down to a 1.0 when a coverless is a .5 just can't happen...

Seems you want a 1.8 for a 1.0 price...who doesn't! Well we shall see I will probably post next week...let those with cash decide what it is worth..regardless of grade...

Good thing about Hulk 1 seems that from 1.0 to 2.0 the can still go near or more than $3K or better.

A 1.0 and a 1.8 is a very different book....I asked about another Hulk 1 awhile back and most gave that a 1.0 or better and that had a huge piece missing....

Look up a 1.0 in Overstreet. I gave specifics about a 1.5 and 2.0 in this post....

I find based on O this book should be an easy 2.0....that said...I might even concede a 1.8 on a bad grade day...but to drop down to a 1.0 when a coverless is a .5 just can't happen...

Seems you want a 1.8 for a 1.0 price...who doesn't! Well we shall see I will probably post next week...let those with cash decide what it is worth..regardless of grade...

You ARE one weird cookie . . . ^^

I won't be buying as it's out of my price range; so my grade assessment has nothing to do with buying the book.

Also, I don't grade based on overstreet; I grade based on what I think CGC will grade the book. All of my keys are low grade (see my signature) so I compare my books to your scans and I see a 1.0; there is just too much going on. It is purely my opinion and you asked for opinions.

You ARE one weird cookie . . . ^^

Divad, that comment has officially resulted in me taking you off ignore.

Thanks everybody...

I get the gist...1.0 to 2.0 .....way to much of a swing to help much...but thanks.

I am sure we could all find issues that look better or worse than mine that have been graded 1.0 t0 perhaps even 2.5.......that is why I through Overstreet into the mix. Obviously it means nothing. CGC is supposed to grade by O standards...and based on those standards the book could never be a 1.0, and probably not a 1.5.

The least this book, in my estimation should fair is a 1.8 and I probably should send out.

However, based on what I see in GPA...1.8 vs 2.0 and even a 1.5 does not seem to change the buy price much.

Visually this book has some pluses that I imagine a buyer (like myself) cannot ignore....that being bold colors, no tape, not brittle, no pieces missing and no color touch up or glue and no Marvel chipping. Sure it has some issues...but to knock it down from a 10 all the way to 1 seems a little heavy handed.

It does not matter if I change your mind or we agree...just stating my case.

I am not sure how the new grading service would grade this item..and PGX would probably call it a 3.0 ;) Guess that is why third party grading is so popular...hard to get a consensus...and that is why the benefit.

May post next week..if someone wins they can consider pressing or having it graded.

I think it a decent, more affordable copy for the price I will put on it...

Thanks again for your participation. Joe

HERE IS A 1.8 that sold recently...

I think mine nicer than the first one...

HULK1182950_zpsb1bc8b7c.jpg

This has centerfold crease...mine does not...however, I have stain...perhaps a tad better..

A 3.0

HULD1304750_zps74232e24.jpg

Anyway...I may post here next week..hate sending things out...

I would agree that your copy is somewhere between these two, but both are weak examples of their respective CGC grades, Especially the 1.8

Thanks everybody...

I get the gist...1.0 to 2.0 .....way to much of a swing to help much...but thanks.

I am sure we could all find issues that look better or worse than mine that have been graded 1.0 t0 perhaps even 2.5.......that is why I through Overstreet into the mix. Obviously it means nothing. CGC is supposed to grade by O standards...and based on those standards the book could never be a 1.0, and probably not a 1.5.

The least this book, in my estimation should fair is a 1.8 and I probably should send out.

However, based on what I see in GPA...1.8 vs 2.0 and even a 1.5 does not seem to change the buy price much.

Visually this book has some pluses that I imagine a buyer (like myself) cannot ignore....that being bold colors, no tape, not brittle, no pieces missing and no color touch up or glue and no Marvel chipping. Sure it has some issues...but to knock it down from a 10 all the way to 1 seems a little heavy handed.

It does not matter if I change your mind or we agree...just stating my case.

I am not sure how the new grading service would grade this item..and PGX would probably call it a 3.0 ;) Guess that is why third party grading is so popular...hard to get a consensus...and that is why the benefit.

May post next week..if someone wins they can consider pressing or having it graded.

I think it a decent, more affordable copy for the price I will put on it...

Thanks again for your participation. Joe

1.5 to 1.8 at best

Keep in mind that those previous two examples you used could be nicer books as far as the interior goes. I know its hard to tell because they are slabbed but the interiors of both of those books look to be in nicer shape, i.e. they lay flat and the covers are wrapped tightly to the interior of the book. They may even be more firmly attached at the staples.

You book has great colors and no restoration and that's great, but there are multiple things wrong with multiple portions of the book. If the interior was tight and you were dealing with just the issues visible on the front and back covers than I could see a strong argument for the 2.0 to 3.0 range. But the tears, wrinkles, creases and other defects of the cover combined with the defects of the interior bring this down below the 2.0 range IMHO.

I think you may have even pointed this out in one of your posts, the accumulation of defects dictates the grade. Try to find some better slabbed books that are closer to yours for a better idea, or look at some books of your that are graded so you can see them first hand. Or like someone else said, maybe get it pressed .

Still a beautiful book though!

Just for reference, here are two copies of Hulk #1 that CGC was probably too harsh with. The 1.5 does have a detached cover, but no back cover surprises as per the Heritage scan, and I've seen CGC 4.0s that don't looks as good as the 3.0

One can't rely on a single CGC book to benchmark a grade - they are not that consistent.

lf-3_zps57f45dd5.jpg

lf-2_zps2f3a964e.jpg

This is a 1.5 per CGC when it was slabbed and sold on HA a couple of years ago.

Still, a nice book with bright colours on the cover.

If you do re-sub, why not get it pressed? It will remove the creases on the back and what looks like spine roll too?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-1-marvel-1962-cgc-fr-gd-15-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121111-11218.s