• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thing #1 With Backwards New Mutants #5 Cover Error

29 posts in this topic

I just came across this in a long box I have had for 2 years now, I never paid any attention to it until today.....

I was curious if this was a widespread error and what the value might be on this? Any help from the knowledgeable bronze age boardies would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

It is The Thing #1 with a backwards and upside down New Mutants #5 cover on it both are from July of 1983

14475278644_b63a2a1037_z.jpg

14476468715_245d765733_z.jpg

14289815449_b97ec92223_z.jpg

14290027327_00a79bf6f7_z.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any information where it came from how I obtained it is 2 years ago I purchased the contents of a collectables store, It had been in storage for around 15 years, The guy I purchased it from used to have a newsstand and the collectibles shop running at the same time so almost all of the books I acquired had 1 of each regular and newsstand.

I must have passed over it 100 times now and just thought it was a comics placed backwards in the bag and board, Today I noticed it had a sticker on the bag that said Thing #1 with backwards and upside down New Mutants cover....

Also there were 2 of them in the bag, So that made me question if it was common. It made me curious for sure as I hadn't seen one like it before. These may be the only 2, Either way I thought it was neat!

What normally happens when sending an error that isn't widely known or hasn't been submitted to CGC before? I've got an order ready to send and it wouldn't be any trouble including this.

One is probably around an 8.0 and the other around a 9.0, I guess if this is the only ones on the census and someone wanted it a 9.0 would be pretty good right? I've never found anything like this before, So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks for everyone input!

What normally happens when sending an error that isn't widely known or hasn't been submitted to CGC before? I've got an order ready to send and it wouldn't be any trouble including this.

I think you will just get the proper grade, but a green label. They are usually qualified as errors, and thus… Qualified. :D

For an error, it is pretty neat, not much for the cover error, but because the cover is inverted, but again this is a fun area of collecting that do not belong to regular series collecting, so it depends on who wants it, and how much he values it.

I’d say, give a copy to the Beyonder, he deserves it! :grin:

I think it neat but don't have an interest in keeping it, If it was an error of a book I love then maybe but I don't have a soft spot for either of these.... I'm thinking slab the nicer one and sell them as a pair? I really don't know.

conditionfreak thank you very much for the possible value, If you anyone has any interest in buying these hit me with a PM/Offer.

Thanks cosmic-spider-man! That also tells me what to call it, An Inverted cover, I also assume because the interior is Thing #1 it would be graded as the that right?

Also joe_collector is that $1 each or do you want me to burn them both for just the lone dollar? ... If it is the later ... No deal.