• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by your collection?

98 posts in this topic

When I first got back into collecting comics around a dozen years ago or so, I thought to myself, "I'm just going to buy a few of the books that I had when I was young." I figured it would only be a couple short boxes or so, as I really didn't have much more than that as a kid.

Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to organize a collection of 38 short boxes and one long box and I have to say, it was totally overwhelming. It's been a couple years since I organized it last, and I hadn't realized how much more I had accumulated in that time. In my mind, I haven't really been collecting much. Turns out, not collecting much equals 11 more short boxes of comics over the last 3 years or so.

At any rate, I just wondered if anyone else has had this feeling. I kind of don't want to be responsible for all these comics. I feel like if they are in my possession, I am in a sense, their caretaker.

I was kind of forced to sell 80% of my collection (about 1,100 books due to financial situations but after the fact I am glad to have such a small but nice collection. Been wanting to downsize for years but could not get myself to do it until I was forced to . Glad I did it now. Nice 3-400 book collection. All in order and nice and neat.

Yes, I tried organizing some stuff today and that is exactly what I felt...overwhelmed. Yet, I do not want to get rid of anything because the moment I do, it will be hot. lol

I did a while back so I liquidated. I was a little sad seeing some of that stuff go. I had huge runs of Wolverine, X-Men, UXM, and related titles. I was never going to read them though, I just liked having them. I got rid of things I owned multiples of, I got rid of runs I had later bought in trade as long as the trade was nice enough. I even got rid of my Usagi Yojimbo vol. 1 (kept the first issue).

It's tough letting go, but now my collection is much easier to go through. A goal of mine is to get it all on two bookshelves, and hopefully keep the collection that small, which will require me to constantly downsize. It's not quite that small yet. I have two bookshelves, two longboxes, two short boxes, and a magazine box right now.

Yes, I am getting to get point of feeling like my comic collection is weighing me down. But every time I go to part with a set I love, I hoard three more. :) This time around though, I don't even want to buy any more. I don't enjoy reading the ones I own at them moment so I know it is time to lighten the load.

I'm closing in on 140 short boxes and have run out of room to store them. I'm guessing 1/3rd of the collection I want to keep indefinitely, another 1/3rd I could make money on, and another 1/3rd is just tripe. I'm planning on taking a week off later this year so I can start organizing how I'm going to get rid of books. Meanwhile, I keep adding a short box about every 1 - 3 months. (shrug) At least now, the short boxes of comics I am adding are in the "keep indefinitely" category.

I only have 7 longboxes by my answer is yes. I just don't like how time consuming it can be keeping track of a collection like this.

It feels good when I get rid of a big stack of books, but then I just buy another big stack. And the saddest thing is, I never have time to read them anymore, yet I keep collecting... :ohnoez:

Yeah it was. I had binders full of pages an a dozen or so long boxes of so much random stuff. I've since punted most of it and rebuilt with the model "best possible". Acquisitions come once a month on average for the collection now. The goal is to have 2 shorts of cgc keys, box of nm raw complete sandman, Star Wars marvel, and one copy of every marvel from January 1 1980 till dec 31st 1989.

Not really but I do have a lot I want to get rid of. I honestly probably have close to 5,000 comics I want to get rid of as my interests when I got them were much broader than they are now and I don't really see myself wanting to keep them. Now I'm focusing more on just my favorite characters so everything else is going to go.

(worship) 140 short boxes is quite the collection rjrjr.

I'm starting to get there. I have about 15 or sixteen long boxes and I really don't want to handle many more. I keep thinking about cutting off my new book buying and focusing just on my silver and bronze collecting.

Speaking of new books. I started collecting them again a few years ago but I don't even have the motivation to alphabetically add them to my old collection. It's almost feels like they don't belong with that collection so I have separate boxes for them. hm

I felt overwhelmed trying to get books over having them. I stopped buying modern all together and streamlined my focus and it worked out better.

:)

I did too. Punting some of those titles is a relief.

Funny this topic was brought up today. I was thinking about it when I walked my dog this evening. I have so many, it's ridiculous even thinking of how to sell them. I'm even up for trades, but no one is ever up for that type of thing.

Patrick

about 10K books, all in built in shelving. I love seeing it everyday!

I have the same scenario,and I can't say enough about how great it is to be organized.

So no I'm not overwhelmed at all.

I have a ton or two of comics and they are not overwhelming. Although I know I need or should let 2/3 of them fly. Every time I pick up a comic and think I should sell this, I get a nostalgic feeling...... or is that gas?

Anyway. I enjoy my collection but need to continue to focus it and sell books I no longer actively collect.