• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

Jim Aparo did some excellent A Man covers too-that guy could draw women....

That`s what I think he was trying to get at. A good number of Americans are rich on paper because of their houses worth, but in fact they are living paycheck to paycheck.

An example is my cousin owns or is paying a bank the next 30 years to pay off a house that has a perceived value of 1 million. On paper my cousin can say they are worth one million because of that house`s perceived value, but in reality they are not, as they struggle just to make the bank mortgage payments, pay car loans, come up with gas money, and what not.

Why you get so many Americans think they are richer then what they really are is because of their perceived house`s value.

Only the part you have paid off contributes to net worth. If you owe $500,000 and have $60,000 in equity that equates to a -$440,000 contribution to your net worth. That is not rich on paper or anywhere else.

We are grossly off topic again, but no, this is not correct. If you have a $500,000 value house with a $440,000 mortgage, that $60,000 in equity is applied to your net worth. The caveat to this is, that the equity in your owner occupied property is not applied to your net worth in a financial analysis.

-J.

Not to get any farther off topic, but how is that not correct? Net worth is assets minus liabilities. I completely agree that the $60,000 in equity goes on the asset side, but you can't ignore the remaining mortgage debt.

In terms of the example above, assuming his house is his only asset:

Assets = House = $500K

Liabilities = Debt on House = $440K

Net Worth = Equity on his House = $500K - $440K = $60K

Not quite-- Whatever equity is in your principal residence is not applied toward your net worth in a financial analysis.

-J.

Depends on what you mean by a "financial analysis." The equity in your home is certainly part of your net worth but is excluded -- along with funds in your retirement accounts (also part of your net worth) -- when calculating your investable funds.

Buying and selling comic books is not an investment its a job

It's not a job, it's an adventure.

There is nothing wrong with investing a small portion of your portfolio in vintage comics, provided you max out your IRA,have a year's expenses put away and have your financial house in order.

Not to mention first Green Arrow Petey. So if you had a choice. 1000 shares of AAPL or the Church 9.4 More Fun 73 what do you pick? I imagine the MF73 would fetch more than the 91kish the Aapl would fetch, but the commissions would be way high to liquidate. It fetched $75k back in 2/12 on a Heritage auction. I would assume 15-20% appreciation since the sale, but of course there are no guarantees.

Not to mention first Green Arrow Petey. So if you had a choice. 1000 shares of AAPL or the Church 9.4 More Fun 73 what do you pick? I imagine the MF73 would fetch more than the 91kish the Aapl would fetch, but the commissions would be way high to liquidate. It fetched $75k back in 2/12 on a Heritage auction. I would assume 15-20% appreciation since the sale, but of course there are no guarantees.

I wish that I were in a position to make that choice. Haha.

I've maxed out my comic allowance for the next couple of weeks, but then I think your Forever People 1 suggestion is a great one. Way too cheap right now.

There is nothing wrong with investing a small portion of your portfolio in vintage comics, provided you max out your IRA,have a year's expenses put away and have your financial house in order.

Philosophically speaking, I couldnt agree with you more, but the notion that people compare physical matter to shares/stock does not make sense to me at all

Well said.

Well said.

Buying and selling comics part time is a taxable hobby business, going full time is a job. Neither equals investing IMO.

160K is NOT middle income. And if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are doing something wrong. You are in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

Maybe buying too many comic books?

Yeah paying for daughters apartment,food...yadayada.Foster parenting her two boys,house payment,bills,my classic car,gas(big one)wife goes through 800 a month in gas,then comics! whew,I got a tad dizzy for a moment.

Another example of cost of living increase.

Who knows what gas will be 15 years from now?

I bet in the year 2000 nobody thought they would be paying 800 a month for gas.

--------------------------------------

cost of living, cost of living, cost of living. my home in NYC costs a million give or take (not that i paid that thank goodness, although the bank owns most of it, as i am reminded every month). my same home in a similar neighborhood in cleveland probably costs $85,000, maybe less. $150-200,000 income in NYC or LA or SF with 2 or 3 kids does not go far. i know it's hard for someone from a low COL area have a tough time grasping this, like i have a tough time grasping buying a nice home for $140K.

So sad but true

These are average examples of houses in NY vs Houses in pretty much the rest of this country

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Damn I wanna live in Georgia! My house is about the same size,but cost me 800K. :sorry:

What's with that box for 500K in New York? :eek:

We may have sunny skies,with California girls,but we pay a huge price for it. :tonofbricks:

Plus they got them peaches....

lol

I keep kicking myself,thinking I could have that 140K paid off in 1/3rd the time.I still have 15 and change more years to go before I actually own my house. :pullhair:

Damn I wanna live in Georgia! My house is about the same size,but cost me 800K. :sorry:

What's with that box for 500K in New York? :eek:

We may have sunny skies,with California girls,but we pay a huge price for it. :tonofbricks:

Count your blessings - We don't even have that over here! certainly not in Jamaica Queens (Sanford & son style house which I listed). And I posted a house there as an example of a LOW entry level house in NY, you can just imagine how much the same shoebox costs in Manhattan right?

160K is NOT middle income. And if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are doing something wrong. You are in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

Maybe buying too many comic books?

Yeah paying for daughters apartment,food...yadayada.Foster parenting her two boys,house payment,bills,my classic car,gas(big one)wife goes through 800 a month in gas,then comics! whew,I got a tad dizzy for a moment.

Another example of cost of living increase.

Who knows what gas will be 15 years from now?

I bet in the year 2000 nobody thought they would be paying 800 a month for gas.

--------------------------------------

cost of living, cost of living, cost of living. my home in NYC costs a million give or take (not that i paid that thank goodness, although the bank owns most of it, as i am reminded every month). my same home in a similar neighborhood in cleveland probably costs $85,000, maybe less. $150-200,000 income in NYC or LA or SF with 2 or 3 kids does not go far. i know it's hard for someone from a low COL area have a tough time grasping this, like i have a tough time grasping buying a nice home for $140K.

So sad but true

These are average examples of houses in NY vs Houses in pretty much the rest of this country

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

It's just bad form (and a little tacky IMO) to be crying poverty and to claim to be barely getting by as you choose to live in your 1 million dollar house in Beverly Hills or condo in NYC or whatever other affluent area. No, you are not middle class, no you do not know what it means to he struggling, and yes you are being disrespectful to those people in the other 95% of the country who actually are. If you're doing well financially, good for you. But keep it to yourself, this is a board for comic books.

Rant over.

-J.

I got no problem with people doing better than me and jokin about it. Good job I say.

That`s what I think he was trying to get at. A good number of Americans are rich on paper because of their houses worth, but in fact they are living paycheck to paycheck.

An example is my cousin owns or is paying a bank the next 30 years to pay off a house that has a perceived value of 1 million. On paper my cousin can say they are worth one million because of that house`s perceived value, but in reality they are not, as they struggle just to make the bank mortgage payments, pay car loans, come up with gas money, and what not.

Why you get so many Americans think they are richer then what they really are is because of their perceived house`s value.

Only the part you have paid off contributes to net worth. If you owe $500,000 and have $60,000 in equity that equates to a -$440,000 contribution to your net worth. That is not rich on paper or anywhere else.

We are grossly off topic again, but no, this is not correct. If you have a $500,000 value house with a $440,000 mortgage, that $60,000 in equity is applied to your net worth. The caveat to this is, that the equity in your owner occupied property is not applied to your net worth in a financial analysis.

-J.

Not to get any farther off topic, but how is that not correct? Net worth is assets minus liabilities. I completely agree that the $60,000 in equity goes on the asset side, but you can't ignore the remaining mortgage debt.

No comment on the topic at hand, but has anyone else told you they figured out your avatar is the error printing of FF #110...?

;)