• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

If you seriously think that vintage advertising prices are going to drop over the next five years you are sorely mistaken. I invest heavily in this category and vintage advertising remains one of the top ten categories of antiques and collectibles year after year with vintage Coca-Cola leading the charge. I have a waiting list of ready and willing clients eager to pay record breaking prices for this stuff.

In 2008 to 2009 you used to be able get porcelain Coca-Cola buttons from the 1950's for about $500-$600. Those same sixteen inch buttons will cost you between $900-$1000 today in near mint condition. Signs prior to 1965 continue to set new auction records on a monthly basis.

American Pickers has helped create massive demand for vintage advertising. If you read the 2015 Antique Trader guide on antiques and collectibles you will find that vintage advertising is one of the hottest categories listed.

Sure, but couldn't a lot of the same/similar positive arguments be made for the vintage comic book market? While some art/collectibles markets never really recovered from the 2008-2009 swoon, others have soared to new highs over the past 5 years (like your Coca-Cola buttons/signs and SA Marvel keys), fueled by macro fundamentals like near-zero percent interest rates and micro-fundamentals like bullish reinforcement from superhero movies for comics and from reality shows like American Pickers for Coca-Cola collectibles. I'm not sure that the experience of the past 5 years necessarily portends a rosy long-term future for either market, though; the overwhelming majority of assets out there have been on a cyclical upswing since 2009, even those with arguably lousy long-term secular fundamentals.

I don't think ComicConnoisseur is insinuating that the Coca-Cola collectibles market is necessarily going to drop over the next 5 years, but, fast forwarding, say, 20 to 30 years ahead, I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine the late Millennials and especially the generation coming up after them are going to have less interest in them (as well as a great many other things, including comics). 2c

Gene, my post was in direct relation to what 'CC' wrote nothing more (in that regard). I firmly believe that if one is going to comment on another collecting field than that individual had better have facts to back up his or her statements. Would you not agree?

I want to make one thing clear, on a personal level I like ‘CC’ as a fellow forum member. He is very respectful, does not resort to personal attacks, and truly loves the medium we all enjoy. However, would I really be doing him a favor if I allowed the inaccuracy of his posts to prevail in regards to other collecting fields?

Just my perspective on this issue as a whole.

Respectfully,

'mint'

If you seriously think that vintage advertising prices are going to drop over the next five years you are sorely mistaken. I invest heavily in this category and vintage advertising remains one of the top ten categories of antiques and collectibles year after year with vintage Coca-Cola leading the charge. I have a waiting list of ready and willing clients eager to pay record breaking prices for this stuff.

In 2008 to 2009 you used to be able get porcelain Coca-Cola buttons from the 1950's for about $500-$600. Those same sixteen inch buttons will cost you between $900-$1000 today in near mint condition. Signs prior to 1965 continue to set new auction records on a monthly basis.

American Pickers has helped create massive demand for vintage advertising. If you read the 2015 Antique Trader guide on antiques and collectibles you will find that vintage advertising is one of the hottest categories listed.

Sure, but couldn't a lot of the same/similar positive arguments be made for the vintage comic book market? While some art/collectibles markets never really recovered from the 2008-2009 swoon, others have soared to new highs over the past 5 years (like your Coca-Cola buttons/signs and SA Marvel keys), fueled by macro fundamentals like near-zero percent interest rates and micro-fundamentals like bullish reinforcement from superhero movies for comics and from reality shows like American Pickers for Coca-Cola collectibles. I'm not sure that the experience of the past 5 years necessarily portends a rosy long-term future for either market, though; the overwhelming majority of assets out there have been on a cyclical upswing since 2009, even those with arguably lousy long-term secular fundamentals.

I don't think ComicConnoisseur is insinuating that the Coca-Cola collectibles market is necessarily going to drop over the next 5 years, but, fast forwarding, say, 20 to 30 years ahead, I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine the late Millennials and especially the generation coming up after them are going to have less interest in them (as well as a great many other things, including comics). 2c

I agree a 100%. I attend estate auctions every so often and the average age is around 65, the median age is probably a bit lower, around late 50s. I'm 34 and I never see anyone in my demographic (and certainly not any younger) show any interest in this stuff. I'm not saying comics doesn't have this risk as well, but at least with the 8 LCS in my area I always see kids in them...

133 pages? :eek: Could someone tell me if comics are a good investment? 20 words or less please. :)

My feeling is that very certain books can be. But there is inherent risk of course, however, what in life is certain beyond death and taxes? Roll the dice with however much you feel comfortable with.

Oops, that was more than 20 words, sorry.

Gene, my post was in direct relation to what 'CC' wrote nothing more (in that regard). I firmly believe that if one is going to comment on another collecting field than that individual had better have facts to back up his or her statements. Would you not agree?

I want to make one thing clear, on a personal level I like ‘CC’ as a fellow forum member. He is very respectful, does not resort to personal attacks, and truly loves the medium we all enjoy. However, would I really be doing him a favor if I allowed the inaccuracy of his posts to prevail in regards to other collecting fields?

Respectfully,

'mint'

Thank you for kind words. With me nothing is ever personal, just maybe a difference of opinion. (thumbs u

Now with this research. I have researched Ad nauseam many other collectibles fields because I wanted to find another field that could compare to comic books. I wanted to find something that I could get into before it got big like comic books did after CGC and movie hype. I have studied numerous collectible fields/antiques, and none have the upside like comic books. 90 percent of these other hobbies/antiques are either dead or dying. Comic books seem so far to be the anomaly. I think it`s because the key characters never get old and die, and seem to reinvent themselves to new audiences which keeps their interest ticking longer, then let`s say a hobby like marbles or Lionel Trains. ;)

When I say 90 percent I do see in toys and videogames of a similar quality like comic books, and the grails in those hobbies could be good long-term bets.

Here is an example of comparing Coke collectibles to Comic Books pricewise.

Just doing some research on EBay we will find Coke items have 5 items with bids on them worth over $1000,while comic books have 35 items selling for over $1000 with bids. Now if we lower the barometer to $500 we will find comics have 105 items selling for that price and above, while Coke has 15.

So looking at the EBay researched numbers.

Comic Books= 105 with bids that will sell for over $500.

Coca-Cola = 15 with bids that will sell for over $500.

To me Comic books have much more interest, and a greater upside then Coca-Cola collectible products.

:)

Wow. Here's something that will add a flavor to this discussion of which cultural artifacts will survive going forward. Watching the British Open. They just aired a short clip where they asked the golfers to name all four Beatles. the friggin Beatles! And many of them couldn't do it..

If the Beatles are getting forgotten after 50 years even given their still ubiquity and musicians today, can anyone argue that anything is immune from cultural obsolescence??

To me Comic books have much more interest, and a greater upside then Coca-Cola collectible products.

Just to throw a spanner into the works, the eBay comparison would only be valid if eBay was the marketplace of equal choice for both collectibles.

I am not sure what people collect in Coca-Cola items --but I was looking for a 50s Coke cooler to go along with my old car and found that shipping rates made eBay uncompetitive with my local flea market/dealer.

I realize that this is just anecdotal but there is a uniformity to comic books that I think would affect the choice and range of marketplace and therefore validity of statistics. (shrug)

Respectfully,

'mint'

Thank you for kind words. With me nothing is ever personal, just maybe a difference of opinion. (thumbs u

Now with this research. I have researched Ad nauseam many other collectibles fields because I wanted to find another field that could compare to comic books. I wanted to find something that I could get into before it got big like comic books did after CGC and movie hype. I have studied numerous collectible fields/antiques, and none have the upside like comic books. 90 percent of these other hobbies/antiques are either dead or dying. Comic books seem so far to be the anomaly. I think it`s because the key characters never get old and die, and seem to reinvent themselves to new audiences which keeps their interest ticking longer, then let`s say a hobby like marbles or Lionel Trains. ;)

When I say 90 percent I do see in toys and videogames of a similar quality like comic books, and the grails in those hobbies could be good long-term bets.

Here is an example of comparing Coke collectibles to Comic Books pricewise.

Just doing some research on EBay we will find Coke items have 5 items with bids on them worth over $1000,while comic books have 35 items selling for over $1000 with bids. Now if we lower the barometer to $500 we will find comics have 105 items selling for that price and above, while Coke has 15.

Hello CC,

Let me respond in kind and please rest assured that I meant every kind word I said and then some. This is just a difference of perspective as I think a lot of people (not just you) are attempting to compare 'apples to oranges' in relation to the comparison of vintage comic books to other antiques and collectibles as a whole if they are using eBay as a barometer for such a basis.

It is true that comic books have experienced an incredible surge of value in the last ten to fifteen years. CGC helped revolutionize the market and bring a consistent standard of integrity and confidence (albeit without some controversy along the way). None of the other collectible categories you mentioned have this. It takes a very respected seller or dealer to be able to grade and authenticate both vintage and antique marbles (which I also collect) and vintage advertising. Ever try to identify the manufacturer of a vintage machine made marble? Even experts get it wrong. Not surprisingly there are also a lot of fakes and reproductions being sold as authentic pieces. This is why eBay is a very bad barometer of these collecting categories as a whole.

The reason I brought up Morphy Auctions is because if you would peruse their past auction sales you would see that they do get record prices for both vintage and antique marbles as well as vintage advertising. Why is that they can get record breaking prices why these same items if sold on eBay will garnish so few bids? Morphy Auctions (along with other high level/high end auction houses) personally vet and authenticate all the items they sell. They also stand behind the condition and authenticity of any item their own in house experts vet for sale. As such a better comparison would be completed CGC auction prices versus completed Morphy Auctions sales (or insert a similar auction house here).

I personally buy very few ungraded items off of eBay and I am both a collector and a dealer with a lot of knowledge. There are very few trusted marble and vintage advertising dealers on eBay. Most overgrade, misrepresent, or flat out restore their items without any mention of this in the auction description. Very few buyers are willing to risk several thousand dollars on the purchase of a piece on eBay unless the dealer is well known and can provide provenance as to where the piece originated from.

I will agree that certain collecting categories are dying or have extremely limited markets. I still don't see a massive market developing for graded video games or even graded Magic the Gathering cards. As such not all graded collectibles have mass market penetration like graded comic books, coins, and currency.

PEZ and Atari (or really any pre-NES) video games have fallen from their previous high price points. By 2005 both markets had run their course. I get about half of what I did in 2003-2004 for almost any vintage Atari video game regardless of rarity and no one is buying the common stuff. Younger buyers would rather play it on their iPhone. The same analogy can be said for vintage PEZ dispensers. Most are bringing 40-60% less than what they sold for before 2005 except for the high demand pieces (the Universal Monsters, Caped Batman, etc.). The younger buyers just aren't there and older buyers have since moved on.

In conclusion and where you and me differ is that I don't think this means that graded comic books are the panacea that proponents are making them out to be. A lot of things can change in the next few years including demographics, an influx of baby-boomers selling off their own collections, and an increasing supply of high grade comic books that have yet to be graded. As I told someone else CGC only graded 2.6 million comic books thus far. While this may seem like a lot the truth is this is the tip of the iceberg when compared to the total amount of high grade books still sitting in collections. It is also the reason why I am very cautious of any book published post 1968.

Just my own perspective.

Kind Regards,

mint

So - buy more copies of Rocket Raccoon #1?

I thought Howard the Duck was the new character to go nuts over?

My 401k

25% Kamandi

25% Rip Hunter

25% Millie the Model

25% X-Force

You're never retiring.

My 401k

25% Kamandi

25% Rip Hunter

25% Millie the Model

25% X-Force

You forgot to add Youngblood to the list.

My 401k

25% Kamandi

25% Rip Hunter

25% Millie the Model

25% X-Force

You forgot to add Youngblood to the list.

Diversification is for suckers! I'm 300% long Turok 1 (margin account).

Speaking of Turok 1, I lost money on that one too!

No - not the 1.7 million-printed-but-otherwise-awesome Bart Sears Valiant issue - his first appearance. Case study:

Four Color # 596, CGC 7.0.

Bought via eBay, Jan. 2010 for $424, free shipping.

Sold this week in C'link's auction for $384 (but subtract their cut + taxes).

Holding period: 4.5 years.

I'm fairly certain I bought the book before the Jim Shooter Dark Horse revival was announced (his Turok 1 came out ~8 months later), so I don't think speculative hype was a factor then; and I'm fairly certain that nobody cares about the currently-published Turok series (including me, as it's an abomination, although not quite as bad as the later teenage Acclaim version).

Still, I would have guessed that a decent copy of a 3rd-tier 1950s superhero key would have gained modestly over the four-year period, particularly with not one but _two_ comic revivals in between.

I was wrong...

And if a boardie bought it this week, congrats. I would have outbid you if C-link allowed it.

Of course, we keep talking about investing in "comic books", when what we really mean is investing in pop culture icons. Comics are simply one means of expressing those icons... it's sort of like saying are books a good investment for the next 5/10/20 years. Some will be, certainly... but most will just be used books.

That said, I put together a casual longevity list of certain popular fictional characters, with the years that I would say they maintained mass-popular status. That doesn't mean nobody knows who these characters are anymore... but that there is a point they ceased being heavily marketed or sought after in a variety of mediums. Some characters have always gotten a boost from movies or TV at a point they may have lost popularity... 1880s Pinocchio certainly got a rebound in the '40s with Disney's movie. It's interesting how many icons dopped out of mass-favor after just a generation or two, despite being as huge in their time as any popular characters are today in ours. I don't know if it proves anything or not-- but I just thought it was kind of interesting. Some of course, are still continuing today, so the length of their popularity is unknown.

Harry Potter (2000s-on) (15+ years)

Popeye (1930s-1950s) (30 years)

Buck Rogers (1930s-1950s) (30 years)

Green Hornet (1940s-1960s) (30 years)

Luke Skywalker (1980s-on) (35+ years)

The Brownies (1890s-1920s) (40 years)

Mickey Mouse (1930s-1960s) (40 years)

Lone Ranger (1930s-1960s) (40 years)

Flash Gordon (1930s-1960s) (40 years)

Wolverine (1970s-on) (40+ years)

Spider-Man (1960s-on) (50+ years)

Tarzan (1920s-1970s) (60 years)

Superman (1940s-on) (70+ years)

Pinocchio (1880s-1960s) (90 years)

Hercule Poirot (1920s-on) (90+ years)

Sherlock Holmes (1890s-on) (110+ years)

What about American Interventionism and World War 2 Propaganda comics from the golden age?

These "classic cover" books from the years 39-46 seem to command x2-x5+ guide values due to supply and demand.

How many years?

Speaking of Turok 1, I lost money on that one too!

No - not the 1.7 million-printed-but-otherwise-awesome Bart Sears Valiant issue - his first appearance. Case study:

Four Color # 596, CGC 7.0.

Bought via eBay, Jan. 2010 for $424, free shipping.

Sold this week in C'link's auction for $384 (but subtract their cut + taxes).

Holding period: 4.5 years.

I'm fairly certain I bought the book before the Jim Shooter Dark Horse revival was announced (his Turok 1 came out ~8 months later), so I don't think speculative hype was a factor then; and I'm fairly certain that nobody cares about the currently-published Turok series (including me, as it's an abomination, although not quite as bad as the later teenage Acclaim version).

Still, I would have guessed that a decent copy of a 3rd-tier 1950s superhero key would have gained modestly over the four-year period, particularly with not one but _two_ comic revivals in between.

I was wrong...

And if a boardie bought it this week, congrats. I would have outbid you if C-link allowed it.

Thanks for providing this example...and if you look at Magnus and Solar #1 from gold key, both can be had for very affordable amounts. You would think there would be more interest in these considering their age and how many series have spawned from them.