• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

A bit OT here. Sorry if this is old hat as I've been away from Ebay for some time.

Bought something for $82 from US seller. I'm in Canada. The low volume seller (FB in 50s) was apparently signed up for GSP, so shipping and pre-collected duty to Canada was visible on the auction listing. I did quick checkout and my Paypal was debited $119.

Anyways - next day he emails me the "You got money" email from Paypal. I notice he was sent $82 plus around $9 for a total of $91. I'm like, where did all the rest of the money go? I sign into PP and find out $27 was sent to Pitney Bowes.

Seller ended up going to the post office to sent the item himself (for $14), and insures it for $100. So a few things are going on.

First, I've learned that GSP means he's supposed to send it to Pitney Bowes, who then sends it to me (and gets it through customs, with no additional cost to me "guaranteed"). Now that the shipper sent it directly, I'm liable for duty since it was insured. As well, I just sent $27 to PB for no reason.

Can I get this money back? I'm not angry at the seller. he probably didn't even know he was signed up for GSP as he wasn't even aware of the program.

Thanks in advance.

A few suggestions:

1) Contact ebay

2) Contact ebay

3) Contact ebay

But enough kidding around. Obviously the three best ways(in ascending order) to get the question answered is to contact them through the ebay MySpace page, post your question to them on the ebay Comics Chat Board, or call Steve Borock directly.

Another 3 tip:

1: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

2: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

3: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

Hope you get the $ back

A bit OT here. Sorry if this is old hat as I've been away from Ebay for some time.

Bought something for $82 from US seller. I'm in Canada. The low volume seller (FB in 50s) was apparently signed up for GSP, so shipping and pre-collected duty to Canada was visible on the auction listing. I did quick checkout and my Paypal was debited $119.

Anyways - next day he emails me the "You got money" email from Paypal. I notice he was sent $82 plus around $9 for a total of $91. I'm like, where did all the rest of the money go? I sign into PP and find out $27 was sent to Pitney Bowes.

Seller ended up going to the post office to sent the item himself (for $14), and insures it for $100. So a few things are going on.

First, I've learned that GSP means he's supposed to send it to Pitney Bowes, who then sends it to me (and gets it through customs, with no additional cost to me "guaranteed"). Now that the shipper sent it directly, I'm liable for duty since it was insured. As well, I just sent $27 to PB for no reason.

Can I get this money back? I'm not angry at the seller. he probably didn't even know he was signed up for GSP as he wasn't even aware of the program.

Thanks in advance.

You should be angry at the seller, I use GSP and you have to send it through the international shipping center. I use GSP because it spares me of the hassle of custom forms and the shipping cost is typically lower for the buyer (though maybe not for Canada). That seller is profiting unfairly, which is wrong. Maybe it is their first time using GSP, but he should pay the duty for you with the extra $ he was not entitled to.

The seller actually lost money by sending it directly. When the GSP is used, the seller only sees whatever it costs to ship the package domestically.

Thanks in advance.

You should be angry at the seller, I use GSP and you have to send it through the international shipping center. I use GSP because it spares me of the hassle of custom forms and the shipping cost is typically lower for the buyer (though maybe not for Canada). That seller is profiting unfairly, which is wrong. Maybe it is their first time using GSP, but he should pay the duty for you with the extra $ he was not entitled to.

Actually, he only got like $9 for shipping. PB pocketed the rest. The extra $37 above the final bid cost (i.e. from 82 to 119), $9 is given to the seller to get it sent to PB, at which point PB sends it to me and gets it through customs. So the seller didn't pocket anything. In fact, he emailed me an image of his post office receipt, and he spent $14 to ship it to me directly.

Yes I realize the shipper made a mistake. And yes, I "agreed" to pay $119 for the item, but since PB wasn't used, then why should they take $27 from the auction sale?

What is the best way to contact Ebay? Wait for the item to arrive and contact? Secondly, do I go through regular channels, or do I do a dispute with the seller just to get their attention? I don't view the seller as the one who should try to return me the $27 that was sent to PB as he didn't run off with the money. PB took it for no work done (to be fair, through no fault of their own).

Thanks in advance.

The seller didn't see the extra money. It was invisible to him and went right to PB/eBay. He was likely one that doesn't ship online, went to the post office, and mailed it right to the buyer (as he stated) and didn't know it was supposed to go to Kentucky.

Actually, he only got like $9 for shipping. PB pocketed the rest. The extra $37 above the final bid cost (i.e. from 82 to 119), $9 is given to the seller to get it sent to PB, at which point PB sends it to me and gets it through customs. So the seller didn't pocket anything. In fact, he emailed me an image of his post office receipt, and he spent $14 to ship it to me directly.

Yes I realize the shipper made a mistake. And yes, I "agreed" to pay $119 for the item, but since PB wasn't used, then why should they take $27 from the auction sale?

What is the best way to contact Ebay? Wait for the item to arrive and contact? Secondly, do I go through regular channels, or do I do a dispute with the seller just to get their attention? I don't view the seller as the one who should try to return me the $27 that was sent to PB as he didn't run off with the money. PB took it for no work done (to be fair, through no fault of their own).

Wait for the item to arrive and then call eBay. They should be able to refund whatever they held for the GSP since the service wasn't used.

A few suggestions:

1) Contact ebay

2) Contact ebay

3) Contact ebay

But enough kidding around. Obviously the three best ways(in ascending order) to get the question answered is to contact them through the ebay MySpace page, post your question to them on the ebay Comics Chat Board, or call Steve Borock directly.

:applause: Same advice shared on multiple posts has to be tracked in a thread somewhere right?

Thanks in advance.

The seller didn't see the extra money. It was invisible to him and went right to PB/eBay. He was likely one that doesn't ship online, went to the post office, and mailed it right to the buyer (as he stated) and didn't know it was supposed to go to Kentucky.

I misread the situation, thanks for setting me straight.

OP, I'd start with eBay customer service, let us know how it works out.

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience. It is a very strange situation and would recommend like the above to contact ebay. Very straight forward, print the label, send it to their processing site, they do everything, and send it out. Buyer covered and seller covered when done right

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

Depends on where the package is going. I use GSP because I don't want to discriminate against international buyers, but at the same time I have a day job and don't have time for all the extra hassles associated with them. If they are willing to pay for GSP they can have at it, or they can buy from a non-GSP seller. Consumer choice, everybody wins.

So should I wait for the item to arrive? Actually I should, to see whether I get hit with duty.

Are you suggesting I contact them through customer service channels as opposed to a dispute? (assuming these are different). I've never contacted ebay before (at least not within 10 years) so sorry for stupid quesitons.

In some ways, this may actually turn out to benefit me, cause if they refund the money earmarked for PB, I actually pay less than what I "agreed" to.

I'm sure Ebay has encountered this situation before. Let's hope they do the right thing and not keep the money, cause no matter what "I agreed to" (they used these words on their website - presumably for buyers who were jacked with GSP fees), it would be wrong for them to take it.

So should I wait for the item to arrive? Actually I should, to see whether I get hit with duty.

Are you suggesting I contact them through customer service channels as opposed to a dispute? (assuming these are different). I've never contacted ebay before (at least not within 10 years) so sorry for stupid quesitons.

In some ways, this may actually turn out to benefit me, cause if they refund the money earmarked for PB, I actually pay less than what I "agreed" to.

I'm sure Ebay has encountered this situation before. Let's hope they do the right thing and not keep the money, cause no matter what "I agreed to" (they used these words on their website - presumably for buyers who were jacked with GSP fees), it would be wrong for them to take it.

Wait for it to arrive to determine if you have a duty to pay, then call them with facts. The quality of the eBay customer service rep you get can vary, but most are helpful. If you don't get a reasonable resolution the first time you call, give it another try with a different rep.

Actually - someone above mentioned Kentucky. The seller sent me a receipt for his postal fee - and I see "KY" on it. So I guess he figured out it had to go there.

The auction ended last Saturday. He was going to send it directly to me when I started the inquiry as to why he was only sent $91. So I guess he figured out it had to go to KY, so this item is being sent properly through the GSP.

As such, this sale won't act as a test case of if/when a seller ships directly. $37 to send two bicycle tires. Tires, not wheels. Oh well. Lesson learned. Never buy from someone who's using GSP.

Thanks in advance.

Everything you posted is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Everything you posted is incorrect.

lol someone already set me straight on this, but the part about avoiding custom form hassles is correct. Which makes your post incorrect too.