• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how it works? A buyer buys item then when it arrives ebay bills them some huge extra amount? So in the future they're less likely to buy a GS item?

Totally overprized system scaring away the sane buyers. Some buyers (apparently millions :screwy: ) with enough money use it.

Luckelly the buyer can see the amount before bidding. They notice shipping is now trippled with ridiculous incorrect tax additions and stay away from this

^^

Ebay discloses all costs and fees to buyers upfront, and they have the freedom to use GSP or not. Sellers that don't want to deal with the hassles and pitfalls of international buyers can use GSP to protect themselves, but must be willing to accept that this potentially narrows the customer base (I'm cool with that, others maybe not so). Everybody has the freedom to choose, everybody wins.

You are so wrong saying that everybody wins.

For those of us who do not live in the USA, we loose out big time as there are now so many auctions it's simply not worth bidding on.

I'm in the UK and there should be NO import duty on collectibles so what are ebay doing taking this duty? It's around an extra 30% they are taking! and as the money is not due to the UK tax man, you can bet that ebay does nit pass it on.

Also you should be aware that the GSP open all packages (I think). I have only ordered 3 times through GSP (all by error) and each time the package has been opened and examined... Meaning on two of the three occassions books have been damaged.

So please keep sending by GSP if you want your books damaged in transit and buyers wanting refunds

Basically GSP really sucks BIG TIME!

Yes, one of the other pitfalls of selling to international buyers is that items have to clear customs making them subject to potential search/damage, good point. That said, I have never had an unhappy GSP customer, all that have commented on packaging say that the items arrive very well packed (and item as described), so if they were opened then the item was not manhandled.

Can someone show an example of the costs on shipping being tripled for GSP? The Canadian example seems to contradict that, not saying it is impossible, but no one has provided actual evidence.

In over a decade of buying internationally, I have only ever had one case of a parcel having been opened during the shipping process and that was because it was unclear what was inside the parcel so it is not one of the pitfalls that can usually be expected when shipping to the UK.

As for examples of any GSP auctions that cause shipping costs to be increased, that would be any auction where they charge tax for shipping to the UK because tax is not chargeable on comics entering the country.

It's good to have some international perspective in this thread. Some have claimed in this thread that ebay GSP triples the shipping cost ON TOP of charging taxes, I haven't been able to find any evidence of that, in fact the eBay GSP shipping rate is usually lower than what I can offer on my own. Does anyone have any evidence of eBay charging triple the actual shipping cost on top of taxes or was that just a straw man attack on GSP?

I live in Manitoba, Canada, and I've only paid duty on a handful of packages that I've received over the last bunch of years. Which includes comics and artwork. I don't think I've ever paid duty for anything valued under $200. And there were many valued much more that that. I've had to pay duty on some, while most slipped through.

Before I bid on anything, I always look at the shipping charges. If I think it's too much, I don't bother bidding. And if I'm forced to pay duty on an ebay win or purchase, I won't bother with it. I'd rather take my chances on it slipping through like most of my other purchases.

I have yet to pay duty for anything I have bought on these boards. (knock on wood) :wishluck:

edit: Sorry, there was 1 purchase I made here where I had to pay duty. I just remembered after posting. :)

A bit OT here. Sorry if this is old hat as I've been away from Ebay for some time.

Bought something for $82 from US seller. I'm in Canada. The low volume seller (FB in 50s) was apparently signed up for GSP, so shipping and pre-collected duty to Canada was visible on the auction listing. I did quick checkout and my Paypal was debited $119.

Anyways - next day he emails me the "You got money" email from Paypal. I notice he was sent $82 plus around $9 for a total of $91. I'm like, where did all the rest of the money go? I sign into PP and find out $27 was sent to Pitney Bowes.

Seller ended up going to the post office to sent the item himself (for $14), and insures it for $100. So a few things are going on.

First, I've learned that GSP means he's supposed to send it to Pitney Bowes, who then sends it to me (and gets it through customs, with no additional cost to me "guaranteed"). Now that the shipper sent it directly, I'm liable for duty since it was insured. As well, I just sent $27 to PB for no reason.

Can I get this money back? I'm not angry at the seller. he probably didn't even know he was signed up for GSP as he wasn't even aware of the program.

Thanks in advance.

You should be angry at the seller, I use GSP and you have to send it through the international shipping center. I use GSP because it spares me of the hassle of custom forms and the shipping cost is typically lower for the buyer (though maybe not for Canada). That seller is profiting unfairly, which is wrong. Maybe it is their first time using GSP, but he should pay the duty for you with the extra $ he was not entitled to.

Everything you posted is incorrect.

lol someone already set me straight on this, but the part about avoiding custom form hassles is correct. Which makes your post incorrect too.

There's no "custom forms hassle". When you print your international postage online, you fill out the customs form at the same time - it's literally a 20 second ordeal.

GSP is a giant rip-off for the buyer.

I disagree.

You can't disagree with facts. GSP inflates the shipping cost for the buyer to pay for the program - the buyer pays more, but gets the exact same service as if the seller just went to the post office.

A 'rip-off' would involve dishonest activity. If the buyer is given a cost, and they decide to pay it, then it's their choice. Like I said, there are plenty of non-GSP options, so they can use them if they don't like GSP. GSP saves me the hassle of international shipping, so I like it. If it costs me international sales, well then that's great for guys like you who don't use GSP, you get my potential buyer. If eBay sales were my primary job, then I may feel differently, but as a casual seller, I'll take the convenience of GSP.

What "hassle" of international shipping? There isn't any. You have to print four pieces of paper instead of one, but you don't have to tape it to the box, you give it to the nice person at the USPS office.

GSP is a ridiculous program that SOLELY exists to inflate eBay's bottom line.

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

Exactly, I never buy from sellers using Global Shipping Program. Here it is important to know that EU Customs except in England (UK?) do not accept CGC books as collectors' items (although stamps and stuffed birds are hm ) , forcing buyers to pay full VAT fee, normally 20 - 25 % of the item price plus shipping price. Collectors' items are free from such VAT. But Customs do not investigate all packages, thus using normal USPS sometimes packages arrive undetected, about 50% in my experience. So using Global Shipping Program, you're 100% sure to pay full VAT for something we all know are true collectors' items, using normal USPS there is at least a chance that the sinister Darth Vader like Customs will not detect your package. . .

PS. I have not read all posts in this thread, sorry if I am just repeating other messages!

Still waiting on someone to provide proof to the claim that ebay charges triple the normal shipping rates on top of tax for GSP. :baiting:

In honesty, I haven't made the effort to see just how far overinflated the shipping costs from GSP auctions are. It is entirely possible that triple value charges are in auctions like Tony said but I just haven't made the effort to find out. I know they are very significantly inflated and that is enough for me. Over the last few years it has got a lot more expensive to bring comics into the country (and send them out) and I really don't want to pay higher costs than I should need to, to line Ebay's pockets.

The shipping prices I have seen from GSP sellers were OK - the main problem was being forced to pay the full Customs (=VAT).

To put this into perspective - if I pay $1k for a book, then I would be forced to pay at least $250 extra when using GSP sellers. With a little luck and help from non-GSP sellers, I will save these $250. In the long run, this may add up to a substantial amount of money that I would rather put in the pocket of awesome and understanding sellers than give to EBay and/or Customs...

Customs informed me that even if I ever bought Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0, I should pay 25% in VAT because it is not a collectors' item. They sure know how to keep up my blood pressure :mad: Sigh...

Still waiting on someone to provide proof to the claim that ebay charges triple the normal shipping rates on top of tax for GSP. :baiting:

I was looking at trading cards before. First class postage $2,25. GSP $18,75 +tax. Card cost was about the same.

I know, that's only one example.

I'll look at some book examples later!

Maybe they got better with rates, but when it first started and everyone was automatically enrolled, shipping was a ridiculous price for anyone outside the US. I ship internationally without the gsp. I understand it increases international sales if you were not going to sell outside the US without it, but honestly, its really not fair for the buyer to pay for fees they dont need to pay for with, as someone said earlier and is absolutely correct, an extra 10 seconds of extra time filling out the ebay usps customs sheet.

Maybe they got better with rates, but when it first started and everyone was automatically enrolled, shipping was a ridiculous price for anyone outside the US. I ship internationally without the gsp. I understand it increases international sales if you were not going to sell outside the US without it, but honestly, its really not fair for the buyer to pay for fees they dont need to pay for with, as someone said earlier and is absolutely correct, an extra 10 seconds of extra time filling out the ebay usps customs sheet.

That oversimplifies all that goes with international shipping. Rules, fees, taxes, rates vary depending on country. While ebay may try to make sense of it all for the seller at the click of a button, they can't control the quality of the foreign carrier and their tracking, the honesty of the foreign buyer, and more importantly, their patience. GSP alleviates much of these concerns for the casual seller, if eBay sales were my livelihood then it may make sense to go the non-GSP route and invest the extra time and effort with international shipping.

Those honest and patient foreign buyers who wonder why more sellers don't ship internationally or at least not use GSP, can thank those foreign buyers who try to hold sellers accountable for the long package transit times (out of their control), buyers who ask us to lie on custom forms then get mad when we don't, buyers who claim a package never arrived because tracking doesn't show 'delivered', buyers who have sticker shock when duties are applied that they thought would fly under the radar then blame the seller or have buyers remorse. The list goes on, it is not just 10 to 20 seconds and the click of a button, it is a can of worms rife with potential headache after headache, even though the seller can get unjust neg feedback removed in most cases, that is still time out of their day. Again, the extra time and pitfalls may be worth it for a business, but not the casual seller.

If customs doesn't think a comic is a collectible, then that is something that needs to be accepted and everyone every time should be paying that VAT if applicable. Buying from people that make so you are avoiding it are not working within the laws. Sort of like people not paying use tax on their online purchases end of year. Amazon now collects tax in Wv and I'm happy as its something I don't need to worry about now

Those honest and patient foreign buyers who wonder why more sellers don't ship internationally or at least not use GSP, can thank those foreign buyers who try to hold sellers accountable for the long package transit times (out of their control), buyers who ask us to lie on custom forms then get mad when we don't, buyers who claim a package never arrived because tracking doesn't show 'delivered', buyers who have sticker shock when duties are applied that they thought would fly under the radar then blame the seller or have buyers remorse. The list goes on, it is not just 10 to 20 seconds and the click of a button, it is a can of worms rife with potential headache after headache, even though the seller can get unjust neg feedback removed in most cases, that is still time out of their day. Again, the extra time and pitfalls may be worth it for a business, but not the casual seller.

Hit the nail on the head there.

Hit the nail on the head there.

Yup.

+ 2

That oversimplifies all that goes with international shipping. Rules, fees, taxes, rates vary depending on country. While ebay may try to make sense of it all for the seller at the click of a button, they can't control the quality of the foreign carrier and their tracking, the honesty of the foreign buyer, and more importantly, their patience. GSP alleviates much of these concerns for the casual seller, if eBay sales were my livelihood then it may make sense to go the non-GSP route and invest the extra time and effort with international shipping.

That's fair enough, there are always difficult buyers whether you're selling internationally or domestically but it's probably a little more difficult to manage a problem when you're dealing internationally.

If GSP works for you then that's fine. There are a lot of international buyers who won't have anything to do with it but there are obviously those who will be OK with it. From the UK, I've sent comics to USA, Canada, France, Spain, Germany, Austria and Australia without a problem and lots of people do this every day so international shipping really isn't the hassle that some people expect.

The GSP allows you to ship to even more countries (worry free). I wonder if using the GSP in combination with shipping internationally without the GSP is worthwhile. You could open the door to all the countries in the GSP that you don't ship to regularly?

GSP Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Turkey