• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

Since tracking on international shipments is spotty when sent through USPS, the GSP makes perfect sense for the seller. All they have to do is get it to Kentucky. Once eBay takes possession of it and sends it overseas, it's on them to make sure it arrives. Great protection from potential overseas scammers.

^^

The GSP is awesome !! This program has put thousands of dollars in my pocket over the last 12 months. Money I never would have received. And no worries about scammers, who would have to deal directly with ebay, not me. No worries about negative feedback or star dingers either. None of it counts against a seller's rating and most of the time can easily be removed with a phone call to ebay. And no bother with filling out custom forms or figuring out extra costs. Thank you, ebay! :cloud9:

My international sales went up, not down when I switched to GSP, I realize that is a far from scientific assessment of which attracts more buyers (maybe eBay makes GSP users more visible in search results?), but at the end of the day, I'm willing to lose some buyers for the convenience and protection. I think GSP is a great service, if the buyer disagrees, they are free to buy from someone else.

+ 1

Yup. The GSP is a win win for all sellers that don't want to bother with shipping internationally. Plus we get ebay's added protection that regular international shippers do not get. Long live the GSP !!! :cloud9:

I recently sold something and saw that I was signed up for global shipping somehow-I never signed up for it but it seems to work good so far....is it some default thing? I hadn't listed anything for a while.

HA ha I got a 2 day wrist slap and am toning it down.

No more drama from Kav folks.

One thing you might not know about me is I respond well to authority. If I'm told not to do something by someone actually in charge, I comply.

+ 1

Some people have no idea what they're talking about. I'm embarrassed for them.

Long live the GSP !!! :cloud9:

Sorry, but you are wrong.

GSP is a rip off or legal theft as I like to call it.

You lose money as many of us will not use it, hence will not bid, hence your end sell prices will be lower.

I bought from a seller a lot. When he switched to GSP I mailed him I would no longer buy from him and explained how postage trippled and import tax was incorrect. He told me he got several mails from others to and after less then 3 days changed all his sales back deleting the programm as he was loosing his overseas buyers.

These are facts!

Your "facts" are wrong. lol

I never shipped internationally before. I never will if I have to do it on my own. So every sale I get through the GSP is a PLUS. It's added up to a few thousand dollars over the past 12 months for me. That's money I never would have gotten in the first place without the GSP. Ya see, I won't get your money, but I'll get the money from all those millions of international buyers that don't care about paying ebay the extra fees. It's very simple. Sorry you can't comprehend this.

These are the real facts!!

Wrong again. As you said. You never shipped international before! Try shipping international without GSP. You will sell even more. You started using GSP, more sales, sell international without GSP and you'll get even more. It's not just me who knows this is a rip off. Just look around on this and many other forums and people talking about the biggest ebay ever produced

You only look at it from one side:

Before you sold no international, now with GSP.

You never tried selling international without GSP.

You can't make the judgement as you did not test both option!

You migh get more because you start using GSP, you would get even more selling international without it.

Those that don't care will use both, those that care will not use GSP. Those are buyers you don't get.

Me as a buyer sees both

Why pay tripple postage and import tax that should not be there?

+ 1

You lose money as many of us will not use it, hence will not bid, hence your end sell prices will be lower.

I bought from a seller a lot. When he switched to GSP I mailed him I would no longer buy from him and explained how postage trippled and import tax was incorrect. He told me he got several mails from others to and after less then 3 days changed all his sales back deleting the programm as he was loosing his overseas buyers.

These are facts!

I never shipped internationally before. I never will if I have to do it on my own. So every sale I get through the GSP is a PLUS. It's added up to a few thousand dollars over the past 12 months for me. That's money I never would have gotten in the first place without the GSP. Ya see, I won't get your money, but I'll get the money from all those millions of international buyers that don't care about paying ebay the extra fees. It's very simple. Sorry you can't comprehend this.

Wrong again. As you said. You never shipped international before! Try shipping international without GSP. You will sell even more. You started using GSP, more sales, sell international without GSP and you'll get even more. It's not just me who knows this is a rip off. Just look around on this and many other forums and people talking about the biggest ebay ever produced

You migh get more because you start using GSP, you would get even more selling international without it.

Those that don't care will use both, those that care will not use GSP. Those are buyers you don't get.

Me as a buyer sees both

No, you don't get it. I'm not going to ship internationally by myself, without the GSP. Ever. I don't care if I were to get more sales that way. I'm only interested in the extra sales I get through the GSP. GSP vs. no GSP. That's what I'm interested in. Having GSP as opposed to not having GSP means MORE SALES FOR ME.

The "ripoff" thing is your opinion. It doesn't matter to me either way because I'm the seller and I DON"T PAY those fees. The buyer does. And obviously there are millions of buyers with enough money that don't care about the extra fees.

Thank you ebay, for the glorious GSP. :cloud9:

+ 1

These are facts!

Me as a buyer sees both

No, you don't get it. I'm not going to ship internationally by myself, without the GSP. Ever. I don't care if I were to get more sales that way. I'm only interested in the extra sales I get through the GSP. GSP vs. no GSP. That's what I'm interested in. Having GSP as opposed to not having GSP means MORE SALES FOR ME.

The "ripoff" thing is your opinion. It doesn't matter to me either way because I'm the seller and I DON"T PAY those fees. The buyer does. And obviously there are millions of buyers with enough money that don't care about the extra fees.

Thank you ebay, for the glorious GSP. :cloud9:

Yes, I get it. If GSP is enough for you, that is OK.

But tripple postage and overpaying import tax is a rip off! No mather if people have the money or not. This is not an opinion but proven fact. The buyer is being ripped off. Some people don't see they are, some don't know it yet, and some don't care (like you said)

Because it might work for you doesn't make it good for everyone. Believe me, more people don't like it. It is a bad idea that works for some people.

And your "million of buyers with enough money don't care" is a little insulting. I have enough money for my hobby too, I just not going to throw it to an overprized system.

For you as a seller it works

The buyer always pulls the short end of the straw. (Some people just don't mind to get ripped off)

Can someone explain how it works? A buyer buys item then when it arrives ebay bills them some huge extra amount? So in the future they're less likely to buy a GS item?

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

You are right there. In the UK we get caught big time with GSP. I've,e stopped buying from sellers that use it.

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

You are right there. In the UK we get caught big time with GSP. I've,e stopped buying from sellers that use it.

+1

I regularly buy comics internationally and have done for years but I won't touch an auction using GSP with a 10 mile barge pole and most of the UK boardies on here won't either. No way am I going to pay taxes that shouldn't even be chargeable. meh

Can someone explain how it works? A buyer buys item then when it arrives ebay bills them some huge extra amount? So in the future they're less likely to buy a GS item?

Totally overprized system scaring away the sane buyers. Some buyers (apparently millions :screwy: ) with enough money use it.

Luckelly the buyer can see the amount before bidding. They notice shipping is now trippled with ridiculous incorrect tax additions and stay away from this

Totally overprized system scaring away the sane buyers. Some buyers (apparently millions :screwy: ) with enough money use it.

Luckelly the buyer can see the amount before bidding. They notice shipping is now trippled with ridiculous incorrect tax additions and stay away from this

^^

Ebay discloses all costs and fees to buyers upfront, and they have the freedom to use GSP or not. Sellers that don't want to deal with the hassles and pitfalls of international buyers can use GSP to protect themselves, but must be willing to accept that this potentially narrows the customer base (I'm cool with that, others maybe not so). Everybody has the freedom to choose, everybody wins.

Here is what a GSP e-bay listing looks like to a Cdn (based in Ontario, my rate would be 13% tax so $117) - I don't personally have a problem with the small mark-up, I've seen some that are out of whack - not sure how much impact the e-bay categories have on how they guestimate outlay (shrug)

Transit time is better than I would get from USPS with postal customs so it seems that their service costs to Canada may have been fine tuned a bit.

148307.jpg.2d3248152ec90118db1499adb02fa6c2.jpg

^^

Ebay discloses all costs and fees to buyers upfront, and they have the freedom to use GSP or not. Sellers that don't want to deal with the hassles and pitfalls of international buyers can use GSP to protect themselves, but must be willing to accept that this potentially narrows the customer base (I'm cool with that, others maybe not so). Everybody has the freedom to choose, everybody wins.

You are so wrong saying that everybody wins.

For those of us who do not live in the USA, we loose out big time as there are now so many auctions it's simply not worth bidding on.

I'm in the UK and there should be NO import duty on collectibles so what are ebay doing taking this duty? It's around an extra 30% they are taking! and as the money is not due to the UK tax man, you can bet that ebay does nit pass it on.

Also you should be aware that the GSP open all packages (I think). I have only ordered 3 times through GSP (all by error) and each time the package has been opened and examined... Meaning on two of the three occassions books have been damaged.

So please keep sending by GSP if you want your books damaged in transit and buyers wanting refunds

Basically GSP really sucks BIG TIME!

^^

For those of us who do not live in the USA, we loose out big time as there are now so many auctions it's simply not worth bidding on.

I'm in the UK and there should be NO import duty on collectibles so what are ebay doing taking this duty? It's around an extra 30% they are taking! and as the money is not due to the UK tax man, you can bet that ebay does nit pass it on.

Also you should be aware that the GSP open all packages (I think). I have only ordered 3 times through GSP (all by error) and each time the package has been opened and examined... Meaning on two of the three occassions books have been damaged.

So please keep sending by GSP if you want your books damaged in transit and buyers wanting refunds

Yes, one of the other pitfalls of selling to international buyers is that items have to clear customs making them subject to potential search/damage, good point. That said, I have never had an unhappy GSP customer, all that have commented on packaging say that the items arrive very well packed (and item as described), so if they were opened then the item was not manhandled.

Can someone show an example of the costs on shipping being tripled for GSP? The Canadian example seems to contradict that, not saying it is impossible, but no one has provided actual evidence.

^^

Yes, one of the other pitfalls of selling to international buyers is that items have to clear customs making them subject to potential search/damage, good point. That said, I have never had an unhappy GSP customer, all that have commented on packaging say that the items arrive very well packed (and item as described), so if they were opened then the item was not manhandled.

Can someone show an example of the costs on shipping being tripled for GSP? The Canadian example seems to contradict that, not saying it is impossible, but no one has provided actual evidence.

In over a decade of buying internationally, I have only ever had one case of a parcel having been opened during the shipping process and that was because it was unclear what was inside the parcel so it is not one of the pitfalls that can usually be expected when shipping to the UK.

As for examples of any GSP auctions that cause shipping costs to be increased, that would be any auction where they charge tax for shipping to the UK because tax is not chargeable on comics entering the country.