• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

A bit OT here. Sorry if this is old hat as I've been away from Ebay for some time.

Bought something for $82 from US seller. I'm in Canada. The low volume seller (FB in 50s) was apparently signed up for GSP, so shipping and pre-collected duty to Canada was visible on the auction listing. I did quick checkout and my Paypal was debited $119.

Anyways - next day he emails me the "You got money" email from Paypal. I notice he was sent $82 plus around $9 for a total of $91. I'm like, where did all the rest of the money go? I sign into PP and find out $27 was sent to Pitney Bowes.

Seller ended up going to the post office to sent the item himself (for $14), and insures it for $100. So a few things are going on.

First, I've learned that GSP means he's supposed to send it to Pitney Bowes, who then sends it to me (and gets it through customs, with no additional cost to me "guaranteed"). Now that the shipper sent it directly, I'm liable for duty since it was insured. As well, I just sent $27 to PB for no reason.

Can I get this money back? I'm not angry at the seller. he probably didn't even know he was signed up for GSP as he wasn't even aware of the program.

Thanks in advance.

You should be angry at the seller, I use GSP and you have to send it through the international shipping center. I use GSP because it spares me of the hassle of custom forms and the shipping cost is typically lower for the buyer (though maybe not for Canada). That seller is profiting unfairly, which is wrong. Maybe it is their first time using GSP, but he should pay the duty for you with the extra $ he was not entitled to.

Everything you posted is incorrect.

lol someone already set me straight on this, but the part about avoiding custom form hassles is correct. Which makes your post incorrect too.

There's no "custom forms hassle". When you print your international postage online, you fill out the customs form at the same time - it's literally a 20 second ordeal.

GSP is a giant rip-off for the buyer.

A bit OT here. Sorry if this is old hat as I've been away from Ebay for some time.

Bought something for $82 from US seller. I'm in Canada. The low volume seller (FB in 50s) was apparently signed up for GSP, so shipping and pre-collected duty to Canada was visible on the auction listing. I did quick checkout and my Paypal was debited $119.

Anyways - next day he emails me the "You got money" email from Paypal. I notice he was sent $82 plus around $9 for a total of $91. I'm like, where did all the rest of the money go? I sign into PP and find out $27 was sent to Pitney Bowes.

Seller ended up going to the post office to sent the item himself (for $14), and insures it for $100. So a few things are going on.

First, I've learned that GSP means he's supposed to send it to Pitney Bowes, who then sends it to me (and gets it through customs, with no additional cost to me "guaranteed"). Now that the shipper sent it directly, I'm liable for duty since it was insured. As well, I just sent $27 to PB for no reason.

Can I get this money back? I'm not angry at the seller. he probably didn't even know he was signed up for GSP as he wasn't even aware of the program.

Thanks in advance.

You should be angry at the seller, I use GSP and you have to send it through the international shipping center. I use GSP because it spares me of the hassle of custom forms and the shipping cost is typically lower for the buyer (though maybe not for Canada). That seller is profiting unfairly, which is wrong. Maybe it is their first time using GSP, but he should pay the duty for you with the extra $ he was not entitled to.

lol someone already set me straight on this, but the part about avoiding custom form hassles is correct. Which makes your post incorrect too.

There's no "custom forms hassle". When you print your international postage online, you fill out the customs form at the same time - it's literally a 20 second ordeal.

I disagree.

A few suggestions:

1) Contact ebay

2) Contact ebay

3) Contact ebay

But enough kidding around. Obviously the three best ways(in ascending order) to get the question answered is to contact them through the ebay MySpace page, post your question to them on the ebay Comics Chat Board, or call Steve Borock directly.

I think you're response sucks. This is the appropriate response.

9w1lk.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

You can't disagree with facts. GSP inflates the shipping cost for the buyer to pay for the program - the buyer pays more, but gets the exact same service as if the seller just went to the post office.

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

You can't disagree with facts. GSP inflates the shipping cost for the buyer to pay for the program - the buyer pays more, but gets the exact same service as if the seller just went to the post office.

A 'rip-off' would involve dishonest activity. If the buyer is given a cost, and they decide to pay it, then it's their choice. Like I said, there are plenty of non-GSP options, so they can use them if they don't like GSP. GSP saves me the hassle of international shipping, so I like it. If it costs me international sales, well then that's great for guys like you who don't use GSP, you get my potential buyer. If eBay sales were my primary job, then I may feel differently, but as a casual seller, I'll take the convenience of GSP.

Nevermind. I just emailed him, and he said USPS is sending the item directly to me.

So... this is a test case of what happens when this happens.

Whether you pay duty again or not has no bearing on whether you should seek restitution from PitneyBowes through e-bay if it is shipped via international post to your door - if it didn't ship through their program they won't be paying any of your money to Customs & they should give your money back.

Whether you pay duty again or not has no bearing on whether you should seek restitution from PitneyBowes through e-bay if it is shipped via international post to your door - if it didn't ship through their program they won't be paying any of your money to Customs & they should give your money back.

Agreed. But is Ebay known to always do the right thing?

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

A 'rip-off' would involve dishonest activity. If the buyer is given a cost, and they decide to pay it, then it's their choice. Like I said, there are plenty of non-GSP options, so they can use them if they don't like GSP. GSP saves me the hassle of international shipping, so I like it. If it costs me international sales, well then that's great for guys like you who don't use GSP, you get my potential buyer. If eBay sales were my primary job, then I may feel differently, but as a casual seller, I'll take the convenience of GSP.

It's a deceptive program and that in itself is a rip-off. eBay collects money from a buyer and never tells lets the seller know what that amount totals. They provide just enough to the seller to cover the shipment to KY and then take the rest. I have often wondered if all of the 'duties' collected make it to the agencies that collect them. Given some of the amounts that I've heard of, I doubt it. Also, I'm pretty sure it takes a lawyer and an elevated degree to opt out of the program, which further speaks to a 'rip-off'. If it was a good deal for everyone, they wouldn't make the thing so confusing and so difficult to get out of. For a seller, there is zero convenience. You're still printing a label on line and going to the post office. It does hurt you in the long run for not using it if you are running auctions. Even if an international buyer does not win an auction, the absence of their bids lowers your realized prices and they will move on.

Correct. Legally, it's not a rip-off...but it's basically legal smoke and mirrors designed to line their pockets while looking like they don't.

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

Rip-off in this context refers to something that's grossly over-priced - which is exactly what the GSP is :shrug:

What's this hassle of international shipping you refer to? Printing international postage online takes no longer than printing domestic postage - the shipping materials are the same (with the exception of a single plastic customs envelope which the USPS will deliver to your house for free) - and the USPS will do a free carrier pickup of international packages just like they do with domestic ones?

Since tracking on international shipments is spotty when sent through USPS, the GSP makes perfect sense for the seller. All they have to do is get it to Kentucky. Once eBay takes possession of it and sends it overseas, it's on them to make sure it arrives. Great protection from potential overseas scammers.

I think it makes items exorbitantly expensive. The buyer is paying shipping twice, once to have it mailed dosmetically within the seller's country, and a 2nd time to have it sent internationally.

Customs are paid up front, whereas if you have it sent through the post office, it may or may not get hit with customs (more often than not, they don't). This turns a possible expense into a guaranteed expense.

Lastly, PB doesn't do this service for free, so they charge their percentage to make it profitable for them to do this.

Wait for the item to arrive and then call eBay. They should be able to refund whatever they held for the GSP since the service wasn't used.

When you say "call", do you mean literally with a phone? Or do I try to communicate with them via online messages?

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

A 'rip-off' would involve dishonest activity. .

That's an interesting perspective.

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

It's a deceptive program and that in itself is a rip-off. eBay collects money from a buyer and never tells lets the seller know what that amount totals. They provide just enough to the seller to cover the shipment to KY and then take the rest. I have often wondered if all of the 'duties' collected make it to the agencies that collect them. Given some of the amounts that I've heard of, I doubt it. Also, I'm pretty sure it takes a lawyer and an elevated degree to opt out of the program, which further speaks to a 'rip-off'. If it was a good deal for everyone, they wouldn't make the thing so confusing and so difficult to get out of. For a seller, there is zero convenience. You're still printing a label on line and going to the post office. It does hurt you in the long run for not using it if you are running auctions. Even if an international buyer does not win an auction, the absence of their bids lowers your realized prices and they will move on.

I see exactly what the buyer pays when I print out a packing slip from eBay.

hm

Since tracking on international shipments is spotty when sent through USPS, the GSP makes perfect sense for the seller. All they have to do is get it to Kentucky. Once eBay takes possession of it and sends it overseas, it's on them to make sure it arrives. Great protection from potential overseas scammers.

^^

The GSP is awesome !! This program has put thousands of dollars in my pocket over the last 12 months. Money I never would have received. And no worries about scammers, who would have to deal directly with ebay, not me. No worries about negative feedback or star dingers either. None of it counts against a seller's rating and most of the time can easily be removed with a phone call to ebay. And no bother with filling out custom forms or figuring out extra costs. Thank you, ebay! :cloud9:

Thanks in advance.

I disagree.

I see exactly what the buyer pays when I print out a packing slip from eBay.

hm

+ 1

Some people have no idea what they're talking about. I'm embarrassed for them.

Long live the GSP !!! :cloud9:

+ 1

Sorry, but you are wrong.

GSP is a rip off or legal theft as I like to call it.

You lose money as many of us will not use it, hence will not bid, hence your end sell prices will be lower.

I bought from a seller a lot. When he switched to GSP I mailed him I would no longer buy from him and explained how postage trippled and import tax was incorrect. He told me he got several mails from others to and after less then 3 days changed all his sales back deleting the programm as he was loosing his overseas buyers.

These are facts!

^^

The GSP is awesome !! This program has put thousands of dollars in my pocket over the last 12 months. Money I never would have received. And no worries about scammers, who would have to deal directly with ebay, not me. No worries about negative feedback or star dingers either. None of it counts against a seller's rating and most of the time can easily be removed with a phone call to ebay. And no bother with filling out custom forms or figuring out extra costs. Thank you, ebay! :cloud9:

My international sales went up, not down when I switched to GSP, I realize that is a far from scientific assessment of which attracts more buyers (maybe eBay makes GSP users more visible in search results?), but at the end of the day, I'm willing to lose some buyers for the convenience and protection. I think GSP is a great service, if the buyer disagrees, they are free to buy from someone else.

+ 1

Sorry, but you are wrong.

GSP is a rip off or legal theft as I like to call it.

You lose money as many of us will not use it, hence will not bid, hence your end sell prices will be lower.

I bought from a seller a lot. When he switched to GSP I mailed him I would no longer buy from him and explained how postage trippled and import tax was incorrect. He told me he got several mails from others to and after less then 3 days changed all his sales back deleting the programm as he was loosing his overseas buyers.

These are facts!

Your "facts" are wrong. lol

I never shipped internationally before. I never will if I have to do it on my own. So every sale I get through the GSP is a PLUS. It's added up to a few thousand dollars over the past 12 months for me. That's money I never would have gotten in the first place without the GSP. Ya see, I won't get your money, but I'll get the money from all those millions of international buyers that don't care about paying ebay the extra fees. It's very simple. Sorry you can't comprehend this.

These are the real facts!!