• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

The GSP allows you to ship to even more countries (worry free). I wonder if using the GSP in combination with shipping internationally without the GSP is worthwhile. You could open the door to all the countries in the GSP that you don't ship to regularly?

GSP Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Turkey

It is all relative

When the GSP charges import duties/taxes 100% of the time on comics to some countries, buyers in those countries will think the program sucks if they were rarely if ever charged duties/taxes on regular USPS shipments.

For countries like Australia where there are no duties/taxes it broadens their selection with a slight increase in shipping cost to the buyer.

The GSP allows you to ship to even more countries (worry free). I wonder if using the GSP in combination with shipping internationally without the GSP is worthwhile. You could open the door to all the countries in the GSP that you don't ship to regularly?

GSP Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Turkey

It is all relative

When the GSP charges import duties/taxes 100% of the time on comics to some countries, buyers in those countries will think the program sucks if they were rarely if ever charged duties/taxes on regular USPS shipments.

For countries like Australia where there are no duties/taxes it broadens their selection with a slight increase in shipping cost to the buyer.

And what of the buyers you reach that don't care about paying import duties/taxes? Not all will think it 'sucks'.

Also... I'm not just talking about comics. I've sold many non comic related items as I'm sure many members here do too.

It's funny you mention Australia as that seems to be the country I get most buyers via the GSP.

It's funny you mention Australia as that seems to be the country I get most buyers via the GSP.

That is why I mentioned it.

With no duties/taxes, GSP shipping prices that are often competitive with anything that the average seller can offer, a strong AU$, and a population that craves US goods, it is probably the largest GSP country.

The shipping prices I have seen from GSP sellers were OK - the main problem was being forced to pay the full Customs (=VAT).

To put this into perspective - if I pay $1k for a book, then I would be forced to pay at least $250 extra when using GSP sellers. With a little luck and help from non-GSP sellers, I will save these $250. In the long run, this may add up to a substantial amount of money that I would rather put in the pocket of awesome and understanding sellers than give to EBay and/or Customs...

Customs informed me that even if I ever bought Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0, I should pay 25% in VAT because it is not a collectors' item. They sure know how to keep up my blood pressure :mad: Sigh...

Are you in the UK?

Just put this on all packages coming in and you'll never have a problem:

"Printed Matter - comic book" and Tariff code "4902900000"

Don't use the quick checkout option on eBay.

If you had not used quick checkout, you would have seen the total before you paid.

Also, if someone hacks your eBay account, they can use your quick checkout to purchase anything they like without having to know your Pay Pal log in too.

It is all relative

And what of the buyers you reach that don't care about paying import duties/taxes? Not all will think it 'sucks'.

Also... I'm not just talking about comics. I've sold many non comic related items as I'm sure many members here do too.

Interesting, the vast majority of my GSP sales are to Australia too.

The shipping prices I have seen from GSP sellers were OK - the main problem was being forced to pay the full Customs (=VAT).

To put this into perspective - if I pay $1k for a book, then I would be forced to pay at least $250 extra when using GSP sellers. With a little luck and help from non-GSP sellers, I will save these $250. In the long run, this may add up to a substantial amount of money that I would rather put in the pocket of awesome and understanding sellers than give to EBay and/or Customs...

Customs informed me that even if I ever bought Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0, I should pay 25% in VAT because it is not a collectors' item. They sure know how to keep up my blood pressure :mad: Sigh...

You shouldn't be paying VAT on printed papers - whoever told you that at Customs is :screwy:

You shouldn't be paying VAT on printed papers - whoever told you that at Customs is :screwy:

This.

I've been wrongly charged tax on slabs twice and both times I've reclaimed that money because they are just not liable for tax.

You guys are gonna lose your minds when they have interplanetary shipping.

This.

I've been wrongly charged tax on slabs twice and both times I've reclaimed that money because they are just not liable for tax.

Me too

You guys are gonna lose your minds when they have interplanetary shipping.

Calling occupants

:o

A "Klaatu" reference !!

Interesting that some sellers are getting a lot of Australians using the GSP.

I am not one of them and will not bid/buy on anything that has that as the shipping option.

What infuriates me is that ANYTHING sent here with a value of less than $A1,000 (about $US950) attracts no tax, duty, tithe or impost whatsoever.

So the "taxes" collected by Pitney Bowes on these sub $A1,000 purchases go straight to supporting their bottom line.

The Tax Office here sees none of that.

If customs doesn't think a comic is a collectible, then that is something that needs to be accepted and everyone every time should be paying that VAT if applicable. Buying from people that make so you are avoiding it are not working within the laws. Sort of like people not paying use tax on their online purchases end of year. Amazon now collects tax in Wv and I'm happy as its something I don't need to worry about now

It doesn't matter whether customs class comics as collectibles or not, they are reading matter, and thus exempt from duty and VAT according to GB law.

They choose to charge us because they assume a percentage of us will pay up without a fight.

Are you in the UK?

Just put this on all packages coming in and you'll never have a problem:

"Printed Matter - comic book" and Tariff code "4902900000"

We'll said Roy - unfortunately, numerous sellers don't do this when asked, and we end up battling customs again.

Another 3 tip:

1: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

2: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

3: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

Hope you get the $ back

GSP is very very Brutal.

I never buy anything that it is being used on.

Its worse than a Buyers fee from an auction house.

I just don't buy anything using GSP anymore

What "hassle" of international shipping? There isn't any. You have to print four pieces of paper instead of one, but you don't have to tape it to the box, you give it to the nice person at the USPS office.

GSP is a ridiculous program that SOLELY exists to inflate eBay's bottom line.

You are a wise Man Mr Donut !

+1

What "hassle" of international shipping? There isn't any. You have to print four pieces of paper instead of one, but you don't have to tape it to the box, you give it to the nice person at the USPS office.

GSP is a ridiculous program that SOLELY exists to inflate eBay's bottom line.

You are a wise Man Mr Donut !

+1

I wouldn't say 'solely'. It inflates my bottom line also, and apparently a few others here as well. :headbang:

It is all relative

The international buyers should be flooding eBay and customs in their respective countries with protests over the GSP duty/taxation practice, not being angry with sellers who desire the extra protection. My 2c

The international buyers should be flooding eBay and customs in their respective countries with protests over the GSP duty/taxation practice, not being angry with sellers who desire the extra protection. My 2c

Yes, as long as sellers remember:

customeralwaysright-300x294.jpg

:makepoint::grin:

And if sellers know more than buyers, sellers should try to protect buyers from unnecessary economic extortion as much as possible - in the long run, this is how you establish trust and a large customer base:

fraud_logo-300x231.jpg

I know, bad picture - but the closest I could find to an anti-GSP logo :facepalm:

Actually just bought some Mylar bags from a US seller, it was a bit of a hassle and I offered him a bonus payment as thanks for his extra effort. But he refused, said that he always took his standard payment, never more. Best seller ever, I am already back for more (thumbs u (see how this works!) Guess this relates to "never put your own interests before your customers interests", the essence of the first picture above...

It is all relative

Slight increase? :roflmao:

This is not a slam on the seller - the Board's own RMA.

Not his fault AT ALL.

Check this shipping option Wow.

Yep, a single $39.95 comic that attracts no taxes/duties etc on arrival would cost $58.50 to get here.

I don't think US eBay browsers can see the charges, but try looking at (not logging in) to an "other than eBay.com" site.

Here's another one.

Single copy cost? $14.95.

Your shipping? $58.50