• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Program Fiasco - Please HELP!

108 posts in this topic

The international buyers should be flooding eBay and customs in their respective countries with protests over the GSP duty/taxation practice, not being angry with sellers who desire the extra protection. My 2c

And if sellers know more than buyers, sellers should try to protect buyers from unnecessary economic extortion as much as possible - in the long run, this is how you establish trust and a large customer base:

You're still putting the apple cart before the horse. Go after eBay and customs for making what should've been a great program (GSP) all around. Instead you're trying to punish sellers for liking the protection in a time where eBay has been eroding seller protection in many other ways.

The international buyers should be flooding eBay and customs in their respective countries with protests over the GSP duty/taxation practice, not being angry with sellers who desire the extra protection. My 2c

And if sellers know more than buyers, sellers should try to protect buyers from unnecessary economic extortion as much as possible - in the long run, this is how you establish trust and a large customer base:

You're still putting the apple cart before the horse. Go after eBay and customs for making what should've been a great program (GSP) all around. Instead you're trying to punish sellers for liking the protection in a time where eBay has been eroding seller protection in many other ways.

I don't think that buyers are getting angry with or trying to punish sellers using GSP, I think that many buyers are merely frustrated that they see comics that they would like to buy and all that is stopping them are the overinflated prices caused by GSP. I completely understand why sellers feel safer and less hassled when using the option and I agree totally that the problem is caused by Ebay.

However, I think we all know how much Ebay listens to its customers regarding their policies, especially complaints against a policy that they are profiting from. It's just easier to avoid auctions using GSP which is what many people are doing but it's still frustrating. If some sellers are finding that GSP works for them then I'm genuinely happy for them.

It is all relative

When the GSP charges import duties/taxes 100% of the time on comics to some countries, buyers in those countries will think the program sucks if they were rarely if ever charged duties/taxes on regular USPS shipments.

For countries like Australia where there are no duties/taxes it broadens their selection with a slight increase in shipping cost to the buyer.

Slight increase? :roflmao:

This is not a slam on the seller - the Board's own RMA.

Not his fault AT ALL.

Check this shipping option Wow.

Yep, a single $39.95 comic that attracts no taxes/duties etc on arrival would cost $58.50 to get here.

I don't think US eBay browsers can see the charges, but try looking at (not logging in) to an "other than eBay.com" site.

Here's another one.

Single copy cost? $14.95.

Your shipping? $58.50

:gossip: The $58.50 shipping listings are the ones that RMA is shipping direct, without using GSP.

All of his GSP listings are $29.75 shipping to Oz.

Interesting that some sellers are getting a lot of Australians using the GSP.

I am not one of them and will not bid/buy on anything that has that as the shipping option.

What infuriates me is that ANYTHING sent here with a value of less than $A1,000 (about $US950) attracts no tax, duty, tithe or impost whatsoever.

So the "taxes" collected by Pitney Bowes on these sub $A1,000 purchases go straight to supporting their bottom line.

The Tax Office here sees none of that.

Although I don't speak for the trees GSP, I have not seen taxes or duties charged on an item to OZ under $A1000. Taxes, if charged, are listed under "import charges".

Here is a $700 example with $0 import taxes to Australia using GSP, also from RMA

Now if you change your country to the UK you will see why they are up in arms, since they are being charged $162.34 in import charges for an item that when declared as reading material and shipped directly from the seller, is not charged taxes at all.

As a seller I utilize Global Shipping to expand the potential purchasing audience.

You loose international buyers using that rip off service. This is the worst for us non US buyers. I see postage tripple, and more. Also the so called import taxes are a joke and only cost us more. I never bid or buy from a seller using this, and I am not alone.

100%

Most times when a package comes through customs there is no duty. Got 2 packages from boardies last week, they mailed direct and no duties were charged to me. 1 package worth 100.00 other worth over 300

There are far too may packages coming through for customs to check them all and they are quickly scanned and sent on their way with no inspection. Printed matter scans as printed matter

The GSP allows you to ship to even more countries (worry free). I wonder if using the GSP in combination with shipping internationally without the GSP is worthwhile. You could open the door to all the countries in the GSP that you don't ship to regularly?

GSP Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Turkey

It is all relative

When the GSP charges import duties/taxes 100% of the time on comics to some countries, buyers in those countries will think the program sucks if they were rarely if ever charged duties/taxes on regular USPS shipments.

For countries like Australia where there are no duties/taxes it broadens their selection with a slight increase in shipping cost to the buyer.

And what of the buyers you reach that don't care about paying import duties/taxes? Not all will think it 'sucks'.

Also... I'm not just talking about comics. I've sold many non comic related items as I'm sure many members here do too.

It's funny you mention Australia as that seems to be the country I get most buyers via the GSP.

What sane person doesn't care about paying needless taxes?

It is all relative

Slight increase? :roflmao:

This is not a slam on the seller - the Board's own RMA.

Not his fault AT ALL.

Check this shipping option Wow.

Yep, a single $39.95 comic that attracts no taxes/duties etc on arrival would cost $58.50 to get here.

I don't think US eBay browsers can see the charges, but try looking at (not logging in) to an "other than eBay.com" site.

Here's another one.

Single copy cost? $14.95.

Your shipping? $58.50

:gossip: The $58.50 shipping listings are the ones that RMA is shipping direct, without using GSP.

All of his GSP listings are $29.75 shipping to Oz.

I stand corrected. Thank You.

Another 3 tip:

1: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

2: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

3: Never buy when you see the GSP in a listing

Hope you get the $ back

GSP is very very Brutal.

I never buy anything that it is being used on.

Its worse than a Buyers fee from an auction house.

I just don't buy anything using GSP anymore

Same with me - wouldn't go with the GSP no matter what. To the U.S. sellers with GSP program, if it helps them with their sales well - kudos for them. But it is the international buyers getting "burned" with overrated import charges built in the invoice from ebay/GSP there. I have seen many comic book auctions online with GSP that shows import charges double or triple over the purchase value in the Canadian eBay site here.

Bottom line ... it's the principle in what I think is a fair and reasonable shipping value on items I want to buy or won by bid. All I want is be covered by insurance and tracking number AND do proper packing job. If done that - I'm a happy customer.

The more money GSP took out of my pocket ... is less money I will have for my next comic book purchase.

In fact, last year I sold a couple of auto parts to a buyer in Australia and it happens that in Canada here - the postage rates was so high on the fact because these one auto parts was "oversize" in measures.

The buyer got burned by GSP and Australia customs at $500 value! What he told me in email messages. As a seller, i got my money fine and in good protection, but it is the buyer who is the unhappy customer!