• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Gene Colan one of the most underappreciated artists?

61 posts in this topic

Bob Powell died when he was 51 and he really only had 10 or 15 years of comic related work.

So I think he trumps Gene Colan. 2c

Powell started in 1938 and drew comics for over 25 years. I do think he is more over-looked due to his limited involvement with Silver Age superheros.

To the original question, I don't think Colan is under-appreciated. He's relatively well-known and regarded in fan and critical press over the past 4 decades, commensurate with his artistic skill and contribution to the medium.

There was something about his style that put me off when I was younger... However, he's one of those artists that I look back now and appreciate the uniqueness. 2c

This is exactly how I feel. There was a muddiness, or a shadowy aspect to a lot of his work that I didn't appreciate as a kid.

Looking back, he is an absolute master.

+1

My second piece of OA was a DD splash by Colan.

It's what gave me the OA collecting bug. And I'm sure glad it did.

I really love Gene's super-hero artwork.

What issue?

DD #32 pg 7.

A blind and helpless DD is led by the Cobra and Hyde up weathered steps to a lighthouse on a dark and stormy night.

It's awesome, and it's the climax to my favorite Daredevil storyline, a three-parter by Stan, Gene, and John Tartaglione.

It's on my wall along with a few Kirbys and a Ditko, or I'd make a scan to share. I look at it every night before bed, and every morning :)

P.S: I Loved Gene's art when I was a kid, and I love it now.

Great artist whose style did not always fit the stuff he was assigned. His stint at Archie is particularly weird. It looks like Stan Goldberg channeling Tomb of Dracula. A real mismatch. but when he was on the right title, it was amazing.

I remember seeing an Archie sketch by Mr. Colan, and being utterly perplexed at why anyone would request such a thing. Even more remarkably, it was very much in the Archie house style. Once I found out he actually did some Archie books, I figured he had used his amazing talent to just blend in on the title. Now I need to find some of these…

hm

His characters seem to me to be derived from Stan Goldberg's versions, but you can definitely tell it's Colan. No question about it. Sometimes it's the layout, like this page, where he uses the patented Colan sequential montage with no panel borders:

SAM_1200.jpg

And other times, it's in his linework, which gets very Colan-esque when there's action involved and not just characters standing around talking:

SAM_1201.jpg

Life with Archie #278 has a story Colan both wrote and drew, about Archie exploring a haunted house. It's very ToD meets Archie in terms of the art, which is very strange from both sides of the equation.

I don't think I would have seen that first page as Colan but now that I know it, it is all that I can see. The second page, particularly the third panel, is classic Colan and even bears a strong semblance to a Daredevil page with Foggy running if I recall correctly.

The output of Gene Colan, John Buscema, and Gil Kane (whose work I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of) really bridged the gap between the Silver Age and the Bronze Age at Marvel.

I'm not sure if those guys are underappreciated, underrated, both, or neither.

Gene Colan on Daredevil and Tomb of Dracula was a great fit.

I personally think his Captain America was interesting, if nothing else.

He also seemed to be a really nice guy. I was lucky enough to meet him once at my LCS many, many years ago, and he was very gracious. He seemed very happy that people liked his stuff enough to want it signed.

Back before being a Falcon fan was cool:

SAM_0566.jpg

Colan was definitely overlooked as one of the greats. He did an Eastman and Laird's Ninja Turtles that was distinctively Colan. His control over light and shadow was impeccable, and told a story all on its own.

The only thing Colan couldn't master was bulky, muscular characters. I never liked his Hulk from Rampaging Hulk, and didn't dig his Thor in DD. I will counter with Colan's sketches of Jack the Ripper, a Pirate battle, and Jester on the Carousel as examples of his magnificence, as soon as I can figure out how to post the images... hm

This is one of my favorite Gene Colan covers. He was just able to combine composition, depth and perspective into some dynamic looking pieces. He gave you views and angles that added energy, atmosphere and an almost 3D feel to the scene. His material made me feel like I was watching a movie, instead of reading a comic book.

N8XTkqV.jpg

That dude is the Jester (Joker wannabe/Scarlet Witch cross dresser), first seen in Daredevil #42.

TFcPkiQ.jpg

Is that cover supposed to be ironic? Because I am pretty sure everybody laughed at him if he ran around dressed like that!

lol