• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

Please, Please keep the numbers in sequential order. Readers and collectors are so tired of the reboot. I think it will definitely hurt the following of this book. Just using the Vol 2 signifies a negativity to all collectors, and tells readers that “oh boy you already missed a bunch”. They may not pick up the book just based on the fact that this book may not make sense as I haven’t read Vol 1

Umm Tim,

Did anyone mention we charge 1 Enormous NYCC for each for our feedback? (thumbs u

:devil:

Also, your TPBs will naturally separate out the story arcs for your future readership, so prematurely renumbering them every arc just becomes redundant and counter-productive to growing the readership.

One of my favorite independents of all time was Cavewoman. Still love my original issues, but cut the series from my pull list after the third or fourth renumbered mini-series. You don't want your readers picking and choosing which "mini" they're going to pick up (depending on boredom of the story, or a new writer or artist, etc.). You want consistency with your readers, coming back month after month. Or new readers who can pick up the trades and know exactly which individual number to jump on with.

'Criminal' by Ed Brubaker is another example for me of truncating my interest. My friend gave me the first trade, which I loved. But then when I couldn't figure out which trade was supposed to be next, or if the characters would even be the same, I said forget it. Plenty of other series I enjoy without that frustration, or remembering which trade(s) I would have already gotten when I'm at a show.

Please keep these comments coming. I'll have eyes on this immediately. I really value your opinions and will take them into account fully.

A book that operates as a series of mini-series tends to turn me away... Sin City was about the only exception I can think of. I personally rarely buy them as they are released, and if I do read them, I trade wait.

I feel like publishers often use renumbering as a crutch - it is much easier to reboot and change the number on the cover than it is to actually create quality content. You may see an initial bump in sales, but eventually, it'll catch back up with you I imagine.

What are they really thinking this will do? "Trick" some reader into thinking the new #1 is the real first issue in the story? Advertise a jumping on point? In my opinion, it appears as if the trade is already being well positioned to bring on new readers, and act as a jumping on point, so this just seems unnecessary and redundant since it will show up around the same time.

Another issue I have with committing to a series of mini-series is that I don't really have a strong sense of how committed the publisher or the creators are to supporting and continuing on with the book despite some potential bumps in the road. I don't know if it holds much water, but for me, committing to an ongoing is always easier than committing to a mini because. I just feel like everyone has more on the line.

Finally, as a last point, there is less of a feeling of... prestige... around a mini than there is towards an ongoing. Again, probably subjective, but there it is.

Long story short... stick with the sequential numbering.

Top of Amazon's bestsellers right now for trades is heavy with Walking Dead and Saga. Neither renumbered, and it's easy to know which trade to purchase next after you're done reading the last one.

I don't buy nearly as many trades anymore simply because I get lost with all the constant reboots at DC and Marvel. I don't know which I bought already....Vol 1 Book 2, or Vol 2 Book 2, or Vol 3 Book 2 or or or... And imagine trying to sort out buying an individual comic to complete a run. I need Issue 2 please. Wait, there's ten Issue 2s? Which is the one I need for this particular mini-series. Ugh. Pass. (Granted, you and your folks would not be as invested in the back issue market. But if you lose the folks who are invested, then you run the risk of losing a significant number of people who are championing your book....he said selfishly. :P )

Edited by dane323

Keep doing the great job you doing

and you will pick up more readers.

No need to start over with volume 2.

The word is out about this book. If you

want do Mini series once in awile on the

side but keep the main book going.

tumblr_nkatrcFjnf1tuk6gvo1_1280.jpg

Valentin Ramon’s alternate cover for Enormous Episode 8 - Vol.2 #2.

Artist of Monkeybrain/IDW’s brilliant D4VE w/ writer, co-creator Ryan Ferrier due in stores 02.25.15

Awesome cover!

Another vote for keeping with original sequential numbering - stay on target... stay on target! :grin:

Cutting off and starting a new "Volume" or whatever with a new set of #1,2,3... is an irritating trend in many comic titles.

New story-arc, new chapter, but keep the numbering going.

FWIW. :cool:

Yes renumbering will kill the collector and put off new readers. Its not a mini its still the same story just continuing of the story, legacy is the best way to go IMO.

+1 completely agree. Nothing like renumbering to destroy momentum. Confusing potential readers = pass on the book. Make people new to the book WANT the earlier issues in the series because there are books previous to the one they started reading at. Present and future sales will reflect that as well as give value to the earlier issues

keep it 7, 8, 9 and so on

Plus 1 on not renumbering. And agreed it throws off the collector and very hard to keep up with. If a pretty please will do it. Well here it goes. Pleassssssssssssseee keep the existing numbering scheme.

Side note:Nice cover.

And imagine trying to sort out buying an individual comic to complete a run. I need Issue 2 please. Wait, there's ten Issue 2s? Which is the one I need for this particular mini-series. Ugh. Pass.

On the money! Plus with the way variants are coming out of the woodwork, having any multiple numbered book with variants exponentially increases the confusion.

The way the comic industry is now with variants you need to stick to a sequential order on a specific title. The whole 1-6,1-5,1-3 thing was so 90s (Venom sticks out in my mind). Why go back to that?

Saga and The Walking Dead are good examples.

A lot here sell to some degree and would like nothing more but good things come to this book .

If you weren't selling any copies or struggling to get the book out and it had one more chance... Maybe re numbering would help. But like someone said earlier , just for a issue or two. It's just a bandaid.

This book doesn't seem to be having any problem selling, and you are getting a fan base going. Re numbering is discouraging and confusing. Whomever is telling you it's a good idea, I'd like to hear their side.. Because you've heard this one.

Please stick with the system you have now.. Issue #100 of Enormous will look so cool when you get there!!

Another example, one that almost physically pains me. Manhattan Projects is moving to a series of mini-series, and I couldn't be more discouraged by the move.

It has nothing to do with selling anything - the series is criminally under appreciated - and it has everything to do with what the scope and feel of the series means to me. I can't understand why the team is doing it, but at this point it hard for me to second guess... but still, I am discouraged by it.