• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

I agree with what your saying Larry. All I was trying I say is be careful buying up books at a premium. It just seems like some people are paying large amounts of money for some new books, thats a big risk if you are going to sit on them and hope for it to hit.

Your case is different, you get yours at a low cost and are able to sell them off the shelf at a fair return. Apples and oranges.

Your case is different, you get yours at a low cost and are able to sell them off the shelf at a fair return

I ordered Enormous NINETY days ago & got a 50% off cover price.

ANYBODY can pre-order online at a 40% discount.

That's damn close.

Apple meet Mr Orange

Now, If you missed pre-order on Enormous ( or ANY other book du jour ) as a retailer you are on a level playing field for copies with everyone else.

It's ALL about the pre-order pal...

I agree with what your saying Larry. All I was trying I say is be careful buying up books at a premium. It just seems like some people are paying large amounts of money for some new books, thats a big risk if you are going to sit on them and hope for it to hit.

Your case is different, you get yours at a low cost and are able to sell them off the shelf at a fair return. Apples and oranges.

Your case is different, you get yours at a low cost and are able to sell them off the shelf at a fair return

I ordered Enormous NINETY days ago & got a 50% off cover price.

ANYBODY can pre-order online at a 40% discount.

That's damn close.

Apple meet Mr Orange

Now, If you missed pre-order on Enormous ( or ANY other book du jour ) as a retailer you are on a level playing field for copies with everyone else.

It's ALL about the pre-order pal...

You just keep going in different directions with every post.......I was talking to the guys in the thread chasing them off ebay , etc..... Pal.

Couple smaller shops in the Philly area I haven't hit up yet that usually carry the 215ink books, get to it over the weekend when I do my Sat & Sun hunting. If I come up empty, I'm fine with the couple copies I already have

I really think this could be a keeper

Some think it's all hype, I think it could be around for the long run

I thought the art was ace

Low print run all around

I enjoyed the first issue. I'll pick up the next few without hesitation

I like making money on books, but it's more about a good read. That's why there's a handful I buy every time a new issue drops. There's a good chance a movie or tv show will happen

Any predictions on the price for the different covers when they come back from CGC?

Mythopolis

Mythopolis didn't look this good(except for the Dancer cover which I think drove prices), didn't read this good, and never came out with an issue after #1.

I'm just hating because I can't find any copies

The most honest thing EVER said on the CGC boards !!

wow... the phantom is already going for $25 a pop.... and a recent listing for a set of 5 just got pulled or sold from ebay... lol ...

taking guesses at what number the bubble bursts

the thing to realize with these things, and its got nothing to do with the quality of this book and its web series, all of the price movement has been from this thread. These boards have 4x as many lurkers as posters, and people use it as a thing to tell them what to buy.

On top of that then there are the family and friends of those who do so. Add that to the small supply, and limited number of online locations, and you get the runs that happen all the time from this modern board.

I wish all the luck in the world to the book, and the LCSs. But people need to be aware of the pattern, its very clear, very obvious, and has been going on for a long time. Of course its always happened to some extent, but in the post Walking Dead bubble era of modern comics, its all together something new.

I usually highlight Bedlam as the first true case, and Revival as a half case. After Bedlam though, the examples are endless.

Edited by CBT

Just for fun, let's look at this ebay sales history on third-eye's 25 they sold:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=171375163495&rt=nc

9 Jul-02-14 20:35:54 PDT

2 Jul-02-14 20:23:58 PDT

1 Jul-02-14 19:51:45 PDT

1 Jul-02-14 19:19:33 PDT

1 Jul-02-14 18:36:36 PDT

2 Jul-02-14 13:37:03 PDT

1 Jul-02-14 09:58:09 PDT

5 Jul-02-14 08:41:59 PDT

1 Jul-02-14 06:08:37 PDT

2 Jul-01-14 17:05:21 PDT

(Yawn)

This thread is three days old, really? Are you the guy who bought the 9 or something? Geez.

Timestamps versus sales, nuff said. If pump and dumpers are already turning this thread into their hissy-fit-dom, I'm more than happy to bow out.

By all means, let the usual games ensue.

wow... the phantom is already going for $25 a pop.... and a recent listing for a set of 5 just got pulled or sold from ebay... lol ...

taking guesses at what number the bubble bursts

the thing to realize with these things, and its got nothing to do with the quality of this book and its web series, all of the price movement has been from this thread. These boards have 4x as many lurkers as posters, and people use it as a thing to tell them what to buy.

On top of that then there are the family and friends of those who do so. Add that to the small supply, and limited number of online locations, and you get the runs that happen all the time from this modern board.

I wish all the luck in the world to the book, and the LCSs. But people need to be aware of the pattern, its very clear, very obvious, and has been going on for a long time. Of course its always happened to some extent, but in the post Walking Dead bubble era of modern comics, its all together something new.

I usually highlight Bedlam as the first true case, and Revival as a half case. After Bedlam though, the examples are endless.

*Cough cough* Watson and Holmes, Think Tank, Hoax Hunters, Nowhere Men, Sixth Gun yada yada.

What killed Revival's momentum was the NBC deal falling through because the book is always on time and still top notch for the most part, though there's parts of the storyline I wish they'd wrap up already. Hopefully, other creators will learn to not get into bed with Comcast unless they like being violated.

As for Bedlam, that's rockstar Spencer's fault, too busy breaking his arm patting himself on the back over what he's doing at Marvel with established characters instead of giving a rat's behind about his own original material. Look, I personally hate the guy's "tweet subjects" but love his book and "if" Bedlam ever comes back, I'll be buying.

Because of the tanking,I was able to get a NYCC sketch cover CGC 9.8 for under $50, but that's for my own appreciation and don't care if it's ever worth more than what I paid for it. Which it probably won't be.

@CBT

You always make good points but there are 2 sides to this coin. I started this thread for a few reasons. The first, and what I meant to be the funniest, was that emezy and I were talking the other night and I mentioned the title and more specifically the artwork of the book. He proceeded to make a very, very funny joke about the title which he can can tell you. I spent the next 2 or 3 days thinking of how to put this joke into the title without being vulgar. lol

So I finally start the thread the day before the book comes out because I was going to have a little fun AND mention the unbelievably ( at least to me ) cool art.

I like the majority of people on this site,some more than others, but there are very few people outside of my brother and my kids with whom I share my love of comics. Anytime I see something I think will be worth picking up, I mention it . I love talking about the books we read and I strongly hope that people who are investing in them make money.

It is hard for me to find fault with the guys who choose to promote stuff they sell, here or anywhere for that matter. It happens on Facebook, ebay, twitter, and the like. I see no harm in it. The only thing that ever bothers me ( and I shouldn't let it, but I do ) is when people sell something using inaccurate info. Other than that, I couldn't care less.

I've made several picks on pre-orders and off the shelf buys that have turned out good and bad dating back to Team America, the first Wolverine mini, through the Spawn, Image and Valiant years. Knightfall and the Death of Superman, Maximum Carnage and Sin City. I kept going with the Ultimate universe books, Civil War, New Avengers, Batman 608----, Superman 203,204,-215. I could literally write pages of stuff I went heavy on and still do.

The thing I'm getting at is this. I will forever talk about stuff I love reading like East of West, Jupiter's Legacy ( which I'm pretty sure I will own til I die lol ), Rat Queens, and the like as long as I think they are still worth reading. On the other hand, as much I like the art on Pretty Deadly, it just isn't a book that makes me want to tell the world about it. I bought a lot of Pretty Deadly #1s and Superman #204s. I hope they take off one day but I won't be the person pushing them. I save that for stuff I want to share with others.

@CBT

I have no problem with the primary market promoting what they sell. The price of the books, and the number of them being sold, and the number per customer, all went through the roof because of the hype in this thread.

People are free to speculate on anything and everything. There are only two things I dont like:

One, when people are financially invested in something and attempt to stifle HONEST discussion about a books values, and what makes it go up or down. aka what happened in the Manifest Destiny thread.

Two, when people who already have stacks of a book are talking its merits up, while simultaneously selling many copies, or the majority of their holdings. If someone really thinks a book is a good value, they dont just talk it up, they also buy copies. Talking up while selling, aka, also what happened in the Manifest Destiny thread.

The T in my name stands for Trends. In the modern forum, I like to talk about both the pros and cons of books, and their valuations. There are people on these boards who feel saying anything negative about anything, is taboo. I am not one of them.

The valuations on this book are being driven by this board and by speculators. That's a fact. People may not like it, may want to argue and dispute my use of the word "fact". But it is what it is. One PM from a new person, thanking me for standing up to the BUY BUY BUY pressure to show them the other side, is more than worth the vitriol of biased people.

Edited by CBT

@CBT

The thing I'm getting at is this. I will forever talk about stuff I love reading like East of West, Jupiter's Legacy ( which I'm pretty sure I will own til I die lol ), Rat Queens, and the like as long as I think they are still worth reading.

I am all for that, and none of my comments have ever been directed towards you. Whenever I see a NWM Orange in the making, I will throw out words of caution and reason. Take the flak, and hopefully, warn off some one. That's all I was attempting to do.

Edited by CBT

@CBT

The thing I'm getting at is this. I will forever talk about stuff I love reading like East of West, Jupiter's Legacy ( which I'm pretty sure I will own til I die lol ), Rat Queens, and the like as long as I think they are still worth reading.

I am all for that, and none of my comments have ever been directed towards you. Whenever I see a NWM Orange in the making, I will throw out words of caution and reason. Take the flak, and hopefully, warn off some one. That's all I was attempting to do.

I figured that. I was just enjoying telling my story about the conversation I had with emezy the other night and I went on a rantrantlol

It happens to me way too much. :grin:

@CBT

I'm a new member here on the forums. I definitely appreciate reading opposing views and analysis. I think there is obviously a place for it since your post hasn't been moderated out of existence.

I also really hope that people can recognize hype as hype. If they can't recognize it as it was on display in this thread, they are going to have a rough time out there in the real world. Life is one big advertising campaign, someone is always trying to get you to see things their way in one form or another.

Finally... as I said many pages ago:

I read the book and really not sure what all the buzz is about...

Was the art, ok?

My two cents (that no one asked for)...

I thought the art was solid but the pacing was erratic. The climatic action scene... no other way to say it, it was poorly executed and some of the panels were downright confusing.

I liked it enough that I sought out a few copies - and even the over sized Image one-shot - but it is in no way spectacular. If it blows up, I have some extra, if it doesn't, I hope I get to see a lot of cool, giant monsters before it winds down.

In addition to my 'mini-review', there have been others that talked about the book in much the same way.

The real gap in my mind - what I'd like to see more talk in the general area of - is that there hasn't been much talk of the tangible merits of this book outside of comments stating that the artist shows merit.

Instead, most of the discussion has singled in on the rarity - the low print run and the limited shelf availability. The discussion I'd like to see would be one that tried to explain why high demand should make that relative rarity matter. I know it is all subjective, but that is the sort of comic book discussion I like to read.