• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

@CBT

The thing I'm getting at is this. I will forever talk about stuff I love reading like East of West, Jupiter's Legacy ( which I'm pretty sure I will own til I die lol ), Rat Queens, and the like as long as I think they are still worth reading.

I am all for that, and none of my comments have ever been directed towards you. Whenever I see a NWM Orange in the making, I will throw out words of caution and reason. Take the flak, and hopefully, warn off some one. That's all I was attempting to do.

I'm a new member here on the forums. I definitely appreciate reading opposing views and analysis. I think there is obviously a place for it since your post hasn't been moderated out of existence.

I also really hope that people can recognize hype as hype. If they can't recognize it as it was on display in this thread, they are going to have a rough time out there in the real world. Life is one big advertising campaign, someone is always trying to get you to see things their way in one form or another.

Finally... as I said many pages ago:

I read the book and really not sure what all the buzz is about...

Was the art, ok?

My two cents (that no one asked for)...

I thought the art was solid but the pacing was erratic. The climatic action scene... no other way to say it, it was poorly executed and some of the panels were downright confusing.

I liked it enough that I sought out a few copies - and even the over sized Image one-shot - but it is in no way spectacular. If it blows up, I have some extra, if it doesn't, I hope I get to see a lot of cool, giant monsters before it winds down.

In addition to my 'mini-review', there have been others that talked about the book in much the same way.

The real gap in my mind - what I'd like to see more talk in the general area of - is that there hasn't been much talk of the tangible merits of this book outside of comments stating that the artist shows merit.

Instead, most of the discussion has singled in on the rarity - the low print run and the limited shelf availability. The discussion I'd like to see would be one that tried to explain why high demand should make that relative rarity matter. I know it is all subjective, but that is the sort of comic book discussion I like to read.

I put these reviews on page 1 just for people like you...and me. lol

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/215-ink/enormous-(2014)/1

I find it funny that ANYONE would think that a creative team will invest time money and effort to lift a book up through print, digital media, social networks, pr and the likes, and someone would even entertain the thought that the ONLY reason that book is getting its recognition in numbers and hype is through a thread in a message board.

A book was released by an independent company and sold out virtually everywhere.. Thats a success! Take pride in our community here who CONTRIBUTED to that success.. No one is getting rich out of this and we support the hobby that we love..

manya.jpg

What's all the complaining about? If you don't like what you're reading get out of the thread. No rant will change the masses. Do books get hyped for profit at times, indeed they do. Coming in blasting a book or posts is ridiculous, even petty. I liked the book, and will continue to read it. Some people pick up Saga and say its yet in my opinion it's the best book out right now. I've also been a super fan of books like Too Much Coffee Man and The Tick and will continue to be a fan of them. No hype pushed me to overpay for a book, like all of us we have brains of our own. Bedlam wasn't for me after flipping through it so I passed, no matter a quick profit or not. I support books I feel are good reads. The boards are not broken and definitely do not need to be lectured to. Like a book, then say it, give updates, get excited! If you don't like the book or are bitter you missed a quick buck then move along.

Take pride in our community here who CONTRIBUTED to that success.. No one is getting rich out of this and we support the hobby that we love..

speculation destroys books, it doesnt help them. People buying 10,20,50 copies of a book crushes them, and keeps the books out of the hands of actual readers.

The primary market (LCS, Artists, Writers, Indie companies) make the same amount of money, but would always ALWAYS prefer to have their books in the hands of people who will continue to buy, not just buy to flip.

Speculators selling to other speculators on ebay does not benefit any of the things you listed. If you posted a link with 100 copies of a hot book to this board, it will sell out in minutes. In 2013, seconds.

You end up with collapsing print runs (over time), and a glut of devalued books on ebay in a few months. There are dozens of examples.

Edited by CBT

Excellent point CBT, you are right. I did overlook that once a mint book hits many collectors hands it's not read by another to enjoy. Luckily we have second prints, yet I know that doesn't cut it for several reader/collectors.

The boards are not broken and definitely do not need to be lectured to. Like a book, then say it, give updates, get excited! If you don't like the book or are bitter you missed a quick buck then move along.

No one said the boards were broken, and someone having a different opinion then you is not producing a lecture.

I do not dislike the book, nor did i miss any opportunities. The thirdeye ebay link I posted had 20 available when I visited it originally.

The boards are not just cheerleading threads, and if you cant handle other peoples posts, then just move along and stick to reading the books you enjoy, or trying to tell people what they can and can't post. Whichever you happen to be in the mood for.

Edited by CBT

Excellent point CBT, you are right. I did overlook that once a mint book hits many collectors hands it's not read by another to enjoy. Luckily we have second prints, yet I know that doesn't cut it for several reader/collectors.

When a book sells 50,000 number 1s, with 5 prints, and 8 variants, and 8,000 copies of number 6 and then is canceled. That is what speculation does to books.

What supports books is natural growth and rising print runs over time. A strong start, a stable print run, and a growing audience. Over hyped and over printed speculator driven mania, creates massive negative buzz and drag on print-run, profits, and success, once the whirlwind passes.

Edit:

=====

The 2013 mini-bust on speculators was very healthy for the overall market. The last thing we need is a repeat of the 90s full market bust. Which is the trajectory we were on, with people coming on here bragging about buying 100,500,1000 copies of a book, jsut to immediately try and flip in lots of 10s and 20s on ebay.

Edited by CBT

Thanks for the definition of trolling troll.

Yah, trolling with paragraph long posts directed at no one, and replying to posts directed at me. You caught me.

Discussions aren't much fun if everyone just stands around agreeing with each other.

I am happy to see opposing viewpoints, and to see well thought out posts about why a person may have enjoyed or disliked a book. One person may love the art in this book, other people may find it jarring.

Edited by Flatliner1313

Discussions aren't much fun if everyone just stands around agreeing with each other.

I am happy to see opposing viewpoints, and to see well thought out posts about why a person may have enjoyed or disliked a book. One person may love the art in this book, other people may find it jarring.

I second this.

@CBT

I have no problem with the primary market promoting what they sell. The price of the books, and the number of them being sold, and the number per customer, all went through the roof because of the hype in this thread.

People are free to speculate on anything and everything. There are only two things I dont like:

One, when people are financially invested in something and attempt to stifle HONEST discussion about a books values, and what makes it go up or down. aka what happened in the Manifest Destiny thread.

Two, when people who already have stacks of a book are talking its merits up, while simultaneously selling many copies, or the majority of their holdings. If someone really thinks a book is a good value, they dont just talk it up, they also buy copies. Talking up while selling, aka, also what happened in the Manifest Destiny thread.

The T in my name stands for Trends. In the modern forum, I like to talk about both the pros and cons of books, and their valuations. There are people on these boards who feel saying anything negative about anything, is taboo. I am not one of them.

The valuations on this book are being driven by this board and by speculators. That's a fact. People may not like it, may want to argue and dispute my use of the word "fact". But it is what it is. One PM from a new person, thanking me for standing up to the BUY BUY BUY pressure to show them the other side, is more than worth the vitriol of biased people.

all went through the roof because of the hype in this thread.

Actually...

All went through the roof because of the hype in:

http://comicsheatingup.net/2014/07/02/larrys-comics-pick-of-the-week-for-delivery-date-6214/

My shops Twitter feed & newsletter.

http://comicbookspeculation.blogspot.com/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/03/speculation-corner-enormous-is-enormous/

But sure. This thread is a factor.

Why the Eff do you think, I'm here?

Anyway...

I just got this from Tim Daniel:

He asked me to post it here for you delightful people.

I invited him & the publisher to chime in.

“The entire first 6 issue arc will be on time without question and every issue boasts two covers from regular series artist Mehdi Cheggour and Christian DiBari, Sarah deLaine, Michael Avon Oeming, Andrrew Huerta, and Colin Lorimer. As of this date, we are 2 interior pages from finishing issue #5 and have every intent to make sure we meet all of our deadlines without excuse. Issue #6 will be a 30 page arc-closer. Following that we’ll take a production break much like Saga. In the time between issue #6 and #7, we’ll offer the first trade paperback and a digital only Field Guide profiling characters, monsters and an original 8-page story entitled, “Colossal: Tales of Enormous”, as well as behind-the-scenes process features.

On the multi-media front, Enormous producers, Adrian Askarieh and Joshua Wexler, have been hard at work to further the live action adaptation. In addition, we’re

currently in discussion to create a high-quality, collectors focused line of action figures spotlighting Ellen Grace and a few of our favorite beasts.

Thank you all for the support and our hope is that your interest in Enormous is rewarded with a great reading experience and a valued addition to your collection.”

Have a wonderful weekend.

Edited by LarrysComics

Take pride in our community here who CONTRIBUTED to that success.. No one is getting rich out of this and we support the hobby that we love..

speculation destroys books, it doesnt help them. People buying 10,20,50 copies of a book crushes them, and keeps the books out of the hands of actual readers.

The primary market (LCS, Artists, Writers, Indie companies) make the same amount of money, but would always ALWAYS prefer to have their books in the hands of people who will continue to buy, not just buy to flip.

Speculators selling to other speculators on ebay does not benefit any of the things you listed. If you posted a link with 100 copies of a hot book to this board, it will sell out in minutes. In 2013, seconds.

You end up with collapsing print runs (over time), and a glut of devalued books on ebay in a few months. There are dozens of examples.

Speculation destroys books, it doesnt help them. People buying 10,20,50 copies of a book crushes them, and keeps the books out of the hands of actual readers.

Here's the thing.

You're dead wrong.

I have customers ( some for 25+ years ) that do not read comics.

They collect them.

I value their business. Creators value their business. Publishers value their business.

Comics are collectible and THAT has been their saving grace in the shadow of the tablet.

Purchasing print will be the saving grace for the industry.

Paper media has been decimated by digital media.

The one paper media bucking the trend. Comic books. Print numbers are up 25% over last year.

Nobody wants to own their newspaper or magazine, but people like to own comics.

They're delightful pieces of art.

My shop has ALWAYS embraced the reader & collector, equally.

o2LLtKM.jpg

Edited by LarrysComics

But sure. This thread is a factor.

Why the Eff do you think, I'm here?

Have a wonderful weekend.

I know why you are here LArry, and if you read my posts, you'll note I carefully said twice that I support the primary market people, including LCS's promoting there books.

As soon as you said 544 it was going to go. Those others things help it move to, but its these boards and this thread that crush online sources, and jack up ebay prices.

Nothing I have said has been negative on the book itself, or the primary market going about their business. I dont think people should pay $50 or more dollars for the book, and I am sure you feel the same. Obviously if people are going to do it, anyone selling is more than happy to take there money.

Here's the thing.

You're dead wrong.

I dont mean those kind of collectors, I mean speculators buying mass volumes trying to quick flip them. I am the person you talk about. I collect and speculate in the sense you use. Both to sell some things in the future for a good return, or to add something to my collection before other people ramp the price up.

That's very different then individuals trying to hoard and flip, which is the type of speculation I mean. I don't think you would say what happened in the 90s is good for the hobby. I dont think you would say non-LCS's buying hundreds or thousands of books(in single orders) is sustainable or good for the hobby.

In the long term, people buying a handful of phantoms from you and trying to turn a profit on them, that's part of the hobby, and not harming anything. People trying to buy up every copy they can and dumping them on ebay, in the long term, its not going to benefit you or the hobby.

That's why the stores are limiting numbers per customer once it happens. Same reason, I believe you said you were limiting in store to 2. Those policies agree with what I was trying to get at, and show I am not dead wrong.

Edited by CBT

Here's the thing.

You're dead wrong.

I dont mean those kind of collectors, I mean speculators buying mass volumes trying to quick flip them. I am the person you talk about. I collect and speculate in the sense you use. Both to sell some things in the future for a good return, or to add something to my collection before other people ramp the price up.

That's very different then individuals trying to hoard and flip, which is the type of speculation I mean. I don't think you would say what happened in the 90s is good for the hobby. I dont think you would say non-LCS's buying hundreds or thousands of books(in single orders) is sustainable or good for the hobby.

In the long term, people buying a handful of phantoms from you and trying to turn a profit on them, that's part of the hobby, and not harming anything. People trying to buy up every copy they can and dumping them on ebay, in the long term, its not going to benefit you or the hobby.

That's why the stores are limiting numbers per customer once it happens. Same reason, I believe you said you were limiting in store to 2. Those policies agree with what I was trying to get at, and show I am not dead wrong.

Limiting in store to 2 at cover price,

Unlimited online at market price.

A system that works very well for me, creators & publishers.

It keeps a supply of books on hand for readers, to build a fan base.

It generates demand & excitement for collectors, while providing a nice revenue stream that I can then redirect back to the creators & publishers.

hTd0a4N.jpg

(Yawn)

This thread is three days old, really? Are you the guy who bought the 9 or something? Geez.

Timestamps versus sales, nuff said. If pump and dumpers are already turning this thread into their hissy-fit-dom, I'm more than happy to bow out.

By all means, let the usual games ensue.

lol

Just call everyone a troll. It's the new trend. ;)

Of course CBT could stand for Comic Book Troll. hm