• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is JIM 83 higher priced than TOS 39 in Overstreet?

30 posts in this topic

Looking in Overstreet I noticed that Journey into Mystery 83 is priced higher than Tales of Suspense 39.

JIM 83 came out in 8/62, while TOS 39 came out in 3/63. Does this 8 month gap allow for more issues of TOS 39 to have been saved?

Is it because Thor is more popular than Iron Man? Maybe I have a biased viewpoint, but I would assume that Iron Man has more mainstream longevity and popularity. Granted, he was really only a B level superhero before the movies premiered, but wasn't Thor also?

Wanted to see what others thought.

JIM 83 came out in 8/62, while TOS 39 came out in 3/63. Does this 8 month gap allow for more issues of TOS 39 to have been saved?

Yes

Is it because Thor is more popular than Iron Man? Maybe I have a biased viewpoint, but I would assume that Iron Man has more mainstream longevity and popularity. Granted, he was really only a B level superhero before the movies premiered, but wasn't Thor also?

No, it's because JIM 83 is harder to find.

And actually, TOS 39 was never that valuable among the major Marvel keys until the success of the first movie series really caused it to pop.

Census numbers for TOS39 8.5 and higher are more than double JIM83 8.5 and higher. TOS39 also has overall higher census numbers.

So in that case, is there a disparity between the print runs of each issue, or were more kids taking care and saving books in 1963?

JIM 83 is a better book,period! :cool:

:P

I'm biased to ol Shell head. That's why I wanted to know the factual reason. I can listen to opinions all day long. :baiting:

lol

I do like JIM 83 much more than I use to, though.

I am of the opinion that you should have both,to be quite honest. (thumbs u

I'm biased to ol Shell head. That's why I wanted to know the factual reason. I can listen to opinions all day long. :baiting:

lol

I agree. I need to save up for a copy.... :)

lol

I agree! It's two clubs I am proud to be part of.

Looking in Overstreet I noticed that Journey into Mystery 83 is priced higher than Tales of Suspense 39.

The real world gap is more like 6 months. JIM 83 was released on the stands June 1962. TOS 39 is December 1962. The cover months were always about 2-3 months after the actual release month. That said, the gap would not have any affect on surviving copies. JIM 83 has always been a tougher book (just like Hulk 1 is tougher than JIM 83). No SA book is truly tough though. Spiderman and the FF dominated the 60s and Thor and Iron Man were second tier marvel characters at that time.

The real world gap is more like 6 months. JIM 83 was released on the stands June 1962. TOS 39 is December 1962. The cover months were always about 2-3 months after the actual release month. That said, the gap would not have any affect on surviving copies. JIM 83 has always been a tougher book (just like Hulk 1 is tougher than JIM 83). No SA book is truly tough though. Spiderman and the FF dominated the 60s and Thor and Iron Man were second tier marvel characters at that time.

No SA book is tough unless you have the money around 1000-2000 in a lower grade. I'd call that tough for me.

No SA book is tough unless you have the money around 1000-2000 in a lower grade. I'd call that tough for me.

sure but I'm speaking from general availability, not price points. I've seen a silly amount of silver available the past 30 years....gold? That's a different story.

sure but I'm speaking from general availability, not price points. I've seen a silly amount of silver available the past 30 years....gold? That's a different story.

I've seen them all you just gotta know the right people and of course have the money. I went to a comic con where a guy had an action 1, Tec 27 and a cap 1. I personally like early GA bats and caps. So far I only have one but one day hope to have more.

I've seen them all you just gotta know the right people and of course have the money. I went to a comic con where a guy had an action 1, Tec 27 and a cap 1. I personally like early GA bats and caps. So far I only have one but one day hope to have more.

There`s a difference between rare and unaffordable. Lots of books are not rare but still are unaffordable.

Census numbers for TOS39 8.5 and higher are more than double JIM83 8.5 and higher. TOS39 also has overall higher census numbers.

So in that case, is there a disparity between the print runs of each issue, or were more kids taking care and saving books in 1963?

The latter. If you collect comics you should already know that there are quantum leaps in availability from one year to the next every single year from the early fifties to about 1965 when the exponential curve really starts to flatten out.

:preach: