• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

who's a great artist in your opinion? i'm curious to know.

adam hughes is great. dave stevens art is great. neal adams art is great. frank cho, steve ditko, too many to list. there are very few artists that have terrible art, IMO. liefeld, JRJR, and kirby. maybe a few others.

I didn't get Kirby when I was 12. Because I was 12. Now I see his genius. :cloud9:

I loved him when I was twelve. And nine. And fifty-eight. When I was twelve my friend Mickey and I thought Kirby was the best. We drew comics. Some of the other kids, who couldn't draw worth squat, didn't like Kirby.

I, for one, am glad that a few have the opinion of youmechooz.

Imagine how even more expensive Kirby OA would be if everybody, I mean everybody, liked him the way so many do.

lol I'd love to own some Kirby OA but for now it's outta my league. I did buy an FF 4 from youmechooz (maybe at a discount since he don't like The King :shrug: ), though, so (thumbs u

I hated him when I was a kid, but now as an adult his work is breathtaking.

This is the one thing I love about art. It has a different affect on people, over time, etc.

I definitely like many of the ones you've listed. I need to check out Hughes.

I, for one, am glad that a few have the opinion ofyoumechooz.

Imagine how even more expensive Kirby OA would be if everybody, I mean everybody, liked him the way so many do.

I started to think that way too. That i was the only one that thought his artwork terrible. I guess its just personal taste.

Here is another picture I found of Phoenix, Wolverine, and Cyclops done by Kirby.

Channel-4-Neanderthal-2000.jpg

They look identical to supes, ww and batman but thats what we love about kirby. Men and women have the same neanderthal faces. Kirby did change the size of the face to indicate male or female. Only way you could tell.

You cant deny he can draw some stuff great even if you dont care for his faces

large.jpg

i can deny. I understand artists love him because he was one of the firsts, but I would never call him a great artist. I can't judge an artist because I know very little about art but it just looks awful.

You think Odin's outfit here is terribly drawn?

I have a question, how can you "stall" a 72 hour deadline in 48 hours? :shrug:
No one?

I think people are trying to move on from any sort of conflict starting discussion or answering questions with potential snark. :sorry:

I see, snark is reserved for after offers are posted.

Tell Solarcadet we said hi. :hi:

lol

Random Gift

These items will all ship out via Priority Mail to all 50 States for free. It will ship out after the weekend because I have to get some of them out of storage. :)

For the horror buffs.....

TWISTED TALES (1983) # 2-10 Full Run + Twisted 3D Tales # 1 (1986 One-Shot) Pacific Comics and Blackthorne Publishing Most issues are in VF/NM or better condition.

100_5370_zps7f8f52b0.jpg

100_5371_zps0cf582c5.jpg

100_5372_zps01d8fc39.jpg

100_5368_zpscc6b25fa.jpg

Living Corpse # 1/2 SIGNED at Wizard World Philly 2008 by Ken Haeser and Buz Hasson NM

101_0591_zps547c454a.jpg

30 Days of Night Spreading the Disease TPB (2007) NM+

100_6924_zpsbea82343.jpg

I'd love to have these! :takeit:

Pacific and Blackthorne! :cloud9:

^^:applause:

PM me your shipping info.

Now let's see what else we can all dig up to keep this thread rolling through the weekend. :cool:

Another reason comic collecting is wonderful; debating the art and literature. Personally, I love Kirby's style and creativity. Like Picasso (cubism/modern art), you may not like their styles but cannot argue against their genius.

No one?

I think people are trying to move on from any sort of conflict starting discussion or answering questions with potential snark. :sorry:

Tell Solarcadet we said hi. :hi:

Haven't spoken to him in a while. Sorry champ.

I hated him when I was a kid, but now as an adult his work is breathtaking.

This is the one thing I love about art. It has a different affect on people, over time, etc.

I definitely like many of the ones you've listed. I need to check out Hughes.

As a Spider-Man reader, this was how I felt about Ditko. I didn't get it when I was a kid. Now I look at it and I'm in awe.

I can honestly admit that as a Spider-Man fan, I haven't read nearly enough books drawn by Kirby.

Here is another picture I found of Phoenix, Wolverine, and Cyclops done by Kirby.

They look identical to supes, ww and batman but thats what we love about kirby. Men and women have the same neanderthal faces. Kirby did change the size of the face to indicate male or female. Only way you could tell.

large.jpg

i can deny. I understand artists love him because he was one of the firsts, but I would never call him a great artist. I can't judge an artist because I know very little about art but it just looks awful.

You think odins outfit here is beautifully drawn? I need examples. Maybe if you explain to me why you like him, i can better appreciate his work. Serious, not trying to be a . Just why his artwork is good in your opinion.

Edited by youmechooz

No one?

Go back to the posts this morning. There was already a LOT of discussion about people being rushed and things of that nature.

I think people are just trying to move on and experience the love of the Tree.

large.jpg

The face is pretty bad. Compare the eyes and eyebrows. They are completely different sizes, and not because of perspective.

No one?

Go back to the posts this morning. There was already a LOT of discussion about people being rushed and things of that nature.

I think people are just trying to move on and experience the love of the Tree.

Apologies, I was at work all day and was unable to join the conversation until now.

large.jpg

You think odins outfit here is beautifully drawn? I need examples. Maybe if you explain to me why you like him, i can better appreciate his work. Serious, not trying to be a . Just why his artwork is good in your opinion.

Yes I think it is super incredibly drawn. The op art and cubist elements as well as his use of 3 dimensions in the outfit is amazing. The black-white balance is spot-on-something some of the artists you mentioned have trouble with. It's imaginative as hell and speaking as an artist it's really really hard to think up all those design elements off the top of your head-and Kirby does it consistently. His depiction of machinery and worlds in FF was incredible. I guess you don't know how difficult it is to achieve unless you've tried it. And the design elements hold well-it doesn't look sporadic as many of say Jim Lee's pieces do, where's there's just a wad of superheroes all crammed together with no overarching design holding it all together. It takes a master to draw something so complex that does not confuse the viewer. I understand your view though-like i said I used to hate Kirby.