• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

I really can’t cease to be amazed at the arrogance of such statements, pretending to read a number of countless things in other people’s actions.

What do you know about him? Nothing, I guess, so this is deeply disturbing.

Sorry.

Post rescinded, I was venting. Sorry to disturb you :sorry:

Thanks. I was harsh too – sorry. :foryou:

Hop into the middle kind sir:

riflesquad_zpsb267a178.jpg

Thanks man.

I have some thoughts on the offering, I just need to get scans first.

No pressure, but the last guy got called out dollar for dollar then vetoed then striked.

Eh...the worst that can happen is mass ridicule :acclaim:

If someone wants to use their veto let them make their own decision.

If you guys think I'm behind the scenes telling people they should or should not use their veto, you are mistaken. I've told several that have PM'ed me that ultimately it is there choice. I've told people to try to discuss with the person via PM and get a sense if they are or are not being sincere in their offer.

This time - yes, 1Cool will tell you that I told him he should use his veto. The offer was a joke. Not the items offered and this isn't an argument about "rich" vs. "poor". I don't know how any of you that are complaining about my "righteous indignation" couldn't see what just happened as an insult to this thread.

• ASM #50 offered and an :takeit:
  • "Here are some things I have hanging around that are of no use to me. Choose ONE."
  • Cricket being cricket and :baiting: 1Cool about the value of his ASM #50 (I had it higher than that).
  • Meeklo pulling the "I'm not rich card" to which I responded - why not offer up a combination of those options (or maybe even all).
  • Meeklo sees Cricket's low number and offers up JUST ENOUGH to get to that amount

Yeah, I think that was a mockery of this thread. I feel like it was this belief that "just enough" is what did PIF in. There was no giving back there. There was "just enough" given to get something you wanted.

So feel free to hate me and say how I rule this thread with an iron fist. I'm just trying to keep it honest. (shrug)

No one has to take anything just like no one has to offering anything
Exactly. This the game, play by the rules that Swick sets. Troubled by his rules and his interpretation of his rules for the thread he created? Then don't play. It's deadly simple.

If you guys think I'm behind the scenes telling people they should or should not use their veto, you are mistaken. I've told several that have PM'ed me that ultimately it is there choice. I've told people to try to discuss with the person via PM and get a sense if they are or are not being sincere in their offer.

This time - yes, 1Cool will tell you that I told him he should use his veto. The offer was a joke. Not the items offered and this isn't an argument about "rich" vs. "poor". I don't know how any of you that are complaining about my "righteous indignation" couldn't see what just happened as an insult to this thread.

• "Here are some things I have hanging around that are of no use to me. Choose ONE."
  • Cricket being cricket and :baiting: 1Cool about the value of his ASM #50 (I had it higher than that).
  • Meeklo pulling the "I'm not rich card" to which I responded - why not offer up a combination of those options (or maybe even all).
  • Meeklo sees Cricket's low number and offers up JUST ENOUGH to get to that amount

Yeah, I think that was a mockery of this thread. I feel like it was this belief that "just enough" is what did PIF in. There was no giving back there. There was "just enough" given to get something you wanted.

So feel free to hate me and say how I rule this thread with an iron fist. I'm just trying to keep it honest. (shrug)

I respect all of this but I would have liked the benefit of doubt…this makes it sound like I'm trying to cheat the system. That's why I rescinded, because amount wise, I couldn't match it, but the chance for me to show that I know the right thing to do was taken from me.

If 1Cool did not post the veto one minute after my post, then everyone would have seen that I did the right thing of my own volition.

Harv, for what it's worth, I think your doing a helluva job with this thread; I never participated in the PIF thread, but here I am an active participant in this one and that's a testament to the awesomeness of what we've got going here... my 2c

Life Mantra: Never take more than you give; don't take my word though, Elton John sings about it...

lol

I absolutely love the book "The Giving Tree". Watching this entire episode leaves me very disheartened. The Giving Tree is about giving from the heart with no expectation of return. The tree never once looked down on the boy, the adolescent, the young man, the man or the old man as she gave and he took. Even in the end when all she had left to give was her stump as a place to sit upon she did so gladly still with no expectation of anything in return.

The Giving Tree is not about give unto others and expect the same or better in return. The Giving Tree is about giving what you can and accepting what others have to give in return even if that may be very little or even nothing.

If The Giving Tree is going to be the inspiration for this thread some serious thought needs to go into accepting what others have to offer. If the expectation is that the offer posted in return is to be near equal or better than the one before it a disservice is being done to a wonderful book that has spoken to generations of readers and it is being horribly misrepresented as the foundation of this thread.

This would make the tree sad.

I think Cricket hit the nail on the head - it comes down to what people want which doesn't always translate into money. I really would have loved to offer up some books that have been sitting around for awhile but the ASM 50 is on a lot of peoples want list (especially a nice presenting reader copy) and I thought someone would like it. I could have offered up $150 worth of general stuff I have around the house like a pile of TPBs but this thread is offering that which you think others would want. Would the ASM 50 have sold quickly and will I miss it - yep but I thought someone on the boards would dig it so it went up as an offer.

I absolutely love the book "The Giving Tree". Watching this entire episode leaves me very disheartened. The Giving Tree is about giving from the heart with no expectation of return. The tree never once looked down on the boy, the adolescent, the young man, the man or the old man as she gave and he took. Even in the end when all she had left to give was her stump as a place to sit upon she did so gladly still with no expectation of anything in return.

The Giving Tree is not about give unto others and expect the same or better in return. The Giving Tree is about giving what you can and accepting what others have to give in return even if that may be very little or even nothing.

If The Giving Tree is going to be the inspiration for this thread some serious thought needs to go into accepting what others have to offer. If the expectation is that the offer posted in return is to be near equal or better than the one before it a disservice is being done to a wonderful book that has spoken to generations of readers and it is being horribly misrepresented as the foundation of this thread.

The Tree and the people who post books don't expect anything in return....Swick is neither.

Simply put, this thread is not meant to subsidize the collections of collectors who cannot continue the thread's direction and participate in a way that takes the offer grabbed into account when posting their offer.

The Giving Tree would be more sad if it was chopped down for firewood and the guy doing the chopping replaced it with a Chia pet.

I <3 the Giving Tree. I've said that I read it to my daughter and feel :cloud9:

And I agree - the tree gave and gave and gave. But didn't part of you want to smack that little boy in the face when you read that and part of you felt BAD for the tree? (shrug)

That is why I said in the very first post:

***********************************************************************************************************************

Just remember - if all you do is take and give nothing back, there will be nothing left of the tree.

***********************************************************************************************************************

I purposely left out when the boy started TAKING and all that was left was a stump. I focused on the giving aspect which is why I listed that and colored it green. :grin:

The Tree and the people who post books don't expect anything in return....Swick is neither.

Simply put, this thread is not meant to subsidize the collections of collectors who cannot continue the thread's direction and participate in a way that takes the offer grabbed into account when posting their offer.

The Giving Tree would be more sad if it was chopped down for firewood and the guy doing the chopping replaced it with a Chia pet.

chia-tree.jpg

First of all, if it is expected that everyone is able to (more or less) understand and judge what has been going on, we should have had all posts, and all replies (which we haven’t).

Second, I just think this vision is an idealization, and does not take into account human nature. This is just unrealistic.

I might have been 99% in agreement with you, if you did not use derision or phrases like "the offer was a joke" and once again reading in other people’s intentions.

chia-tree.jpg

akp5q.jpg

RAK alert!!!

First :takeit: wins! I'm not limiting to only those who have not taken a RAK yet, but if you have, let others have a go at this first please.

Choose one:

Option 1: X-Men Masterworks

X-Men Volume One

cFZJDd2.jpg

Uncanny X-Men Volume Two

BxAy0tK.jpg

Option 2: Guardians of the Galaxy Funkos!

The whole set:

zNg0Y06.jpg

Option 3: Batman Hardcovers

Batman - Death in the Family (volume three)

3Yad9cx.jpg

Batman - A Celebration of 75 years

BYRVyu7.jpg

Option 4: Marvel Select figures

Green Goblin vs. Spider-man - Recreate ASM #39 cover!

lIgaoXC.jpg

Thanos!!!

EuGE25W.jpg

This thread has really captured the spirit of GIVING...for which Harvey deserves a tremendous amount of credit for starting and maintaining. And yeah, sometimes that means he has to fight for it a bit.

But when you consider not just the regular offers but the number and quality of the RAKs (and how much fun those are)... I think that when the occasional offer pops up that doesn't pass the sniff test for whatever reason (I won't go guessing on anyone's motives or whatnot ...that's always where trouble lurks!) he becomes defensive of the concept.

As we saw, though, through the acts of reasonable people the ship righted itself, and as long as it didn't devolve into name calling and hurt feeling we can just get back to the good stuff. Because, come on, say what you will, but for every blip of drama here there are 20 instances of legitimate acts of generosity. That's a pretty good ratio. At least I think so. I was never great at math.

I have always operated from the tree's perspective. I give what I can with no expectation of anything in return. My giving was, and is my gift to myself. I know the person who only takes is living a lonely existence. I felt for both the boy and the tree. The boy for always chasing happiness which he would find right where he started from and for the tree because she deserved recognition for her selflessness. I also greatly admired her for being so selfless and that she was never diminished for the giving.

My point is not everyone will be able to match value for value. Some may only be able to genuinely give a fraction in return but it is given with the same level of generousness as the item they claimed. Should that prevent them from taking part? I would hope not but that is how it is coming across.

You passion for this project is evident. Please know that is seen and recognized.