• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

So are there currently any RAKs up?

I believe Kav still has 2 unclaimed RAK's

Ahh I see. I thought Swick took the only one Kav had up, but he must have listed more than one.

Kav's RAK's

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8017312#Post8017312

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8013690#Post8013690

The only real problem with the thread was there were time frames that were just a bit too aggressive imo. It is as if at the first or second sign of the thread stalling-- people started to panic. I just don't see why it is so important to have an offer snatched up so fast. An offer is still something of value. Sure-- putting that 3 day line on there helped get people to sweeten the deals. But it wouldn't be that much different if you made the timelines 3 days before previous takers could jump on it and 5 days until it resulted in a strike.

Think about it-- if someones offer went more than a day without a sniff-- you had tons of people started to talk about the offer as if it were sub standard or defending it as a great offer just not something they were interested in (already had etc). The other part about this is it gave ony a very small window in which boardies could come in and see the offer itself--- people do have lives and are not always watching this thread all the time. A longer window would allow those more unusual offers to have a better chance of being picked up. This timeline just seemed to ramp up pressure far more than necessary and that part itself led to some shying away from participating as well.

last point-- I don't think we needed to have Swick monitor this thing all the time-- as a community, it could have been handled and if there was a dispute-- call in Swick to act as commissioner/arbitrator.

just my take.

I get what you are saying but historically if something is not claimed in 3 days its usually not claimed in seven unless someone claims it to get things moving again. There are exceptions but not usually.

The only real problem with the thread was there were time frames that were just a bit too aggressive imo. It is as if at the first or second sign of the thread stalling-- people started to panic. I just don't see why it is so important to have an offer snatched up so fast. An offer is still something of value. Sure-- putting that 3 day line on there helped get people to sweeten the deals. But it wouldn't be that much different if you made the timelines 3 days before previous takers could jump on it and 5 days until it resulted in a strike.

Think about it-- if someones offer went more than a day without a sniff-- you had tons of people started to talk about the offer as if it were sub standard or defending it as a great offer just not something they were interested in (already had etc). The other part about this is it gave ony a very small window in which boardies could come in and see the offer itself--- people do have lives and are not always watching this thread all the time. A longer window would allow those more unusual offers to have a better chance of being picked up. This timeline just seemed to ramp up pressure far more than necessary and that part itself led to some shying away from participating as well.

last point-- I don't think we needed to have Swick monitor this thing all the time-- as a community, it could have been handled and if there was a dispute-- call in Swick to act as commissioner/arbitrator.

just my take.

I get what you are saying but historically if something is not claimed in 3 days its usually not claimed in seven unless someone claims it to get things moving again. There are exceptions but not usually.

The reality is it should have died the first time it timed out from a strike. I won't say all people are like this but when you can't even get most people to trade evenly threads like this are bound to die unless you have a large sum of people willing to give more than they take. I don't know if it will even make it as a RAK only thread, time will tell. :(

just my take.

The reality is it should have died the first time it timed out from a strike. I won't say all people are like this but when you can't even get most people to trade evenly threads like this are bound to die unless you have a large sum of people willing to give more than they take. I don't know if it will even make it as a RAK only thread, time will tell. :(

debbie-downer.gif

I won't say all people are like this but when you can't even get most people to trade evenly threads like this are bound to die unless you have a large sum of people willing to give more than they take. I don't know if it will even make it as a RAK only thread, time will tell. :(

An opinion that certainly deserves to be heard, coming from the person who is certainly right at the top of the generosity list around here.

Need more people like Shadow Images to step up for this to work or at least for people to have a "take a penny, leave a penny" mentality. And I don't mean by throwing up books worth $0.01!

(tsk)

I mean by feeling free to take a RAK you like when you see one, but being conscious of the fact that when you've got a book, or trade, or series, or collectible, etc you think others might enjoy more then you do... Drop it off here and brighten someone's day. So there's a penny for the next guy!

Edited by fmaz

Who said it was over? (shrug)

I just said I no longer wanted to track it and suggested two alternatives to track the thread:

1) a floating list in the thread

2) a separate thread in the test subforum with a link on the first page here.

If you want to reboot the thread, start option 1 or 2 and offer something up. (thumbs u

Does it need to be recorded etc? Not really. the thread is recording it. Summarization is nice but hardly what makes this whole thing function.

And it sort of DOES have to be recorded and tracked. Unless you're going with an honor system or did away with most of the rules, there needs to be a list.

Without the structure or tracking of offers/claims, strikes, etc., it's sort of just the PIF thread. Why not just jump in the PIF thread? (shrug)

Read it again. ;)

I just meant starting a new thread to continue TRACKING of this thread. If someone wanted to create a new thread with this list somewhere else, they should start a new thread in the Test subforum and I'll link to it here on the first page. That way the community could have an easily trackable list that would be updated and tracked by the community (that wouldn't be buried here) AND it wouldn't lead to :pullhair: of having yet another "giving back" thread in Comics General.