• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Chicago Boy said:

It was losing steam against Bats 1 for a while now --this sale puts it bak in the conversation  

I’m sure the Captain America Comics #1 at a CGC 3.5 that’s from the The Promise Collection will also help out as well. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, Dark Knight said:

Metro/CC has a 7.0 copy that was displayed at NYCC with a price of $350k. Seems like a very good deal compared to the past two sales of this book (the 4.0 on Heritage and the brittle 1.0 on ebay).

$350k does seem like a very good deal for a 7.0 copy of Captain America Comics #1. I thought it would be a lot more than that. 

On 10/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, Dark Knight said:

Metro/CC has a 7.0 copy that was displayed at NYCC with a price of $350k. Seems like a very good deal compared to the past two sales of this book (the 4.0 on Heritage and the brittle 1.0 on ebay).

Capture.JPG.4c6d668f8a3ccc548b045b565eed4ef3.JPG

On 11/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, Finhead said:

Wow can't fathom turning down a $300K offer. lol

There's a 7.0 restored listed on Metro as well for the budget minded collector. ;)

Cap#1Resto.jpg

Call me crazy but I would happy accept a $300k offer then proceed to buy a 7.0 that’s restored for $75k. I would have a nice chunk of money left over and would still have a Cap #1. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, Terry JSA said:

Call me crazy but I would happy accept a $300k offer then proceed to buy a 7.0 that’s restored for $75k. I would have a nice chunk of money left over and would still have a Cap #1. 

If it was just restoration I agree, but that is a trimmed copy. :sorry:

On 11/2/2021 at 4:05 PM, Finhead said:

If it was just restoration I agree, but that is a trimmed copy. :sorry:

Restoration doesn’t bother me too much on mega keys like this. If that makes them more affordable, then I’m all for it. Having the book is what matters to me. 

Everyone has their own preference. (thumbsu

On 11/2/2021 at 2:28 PM, Terry JSA said:

Restoration doesn’t bother me too much on mega keys like this. If that makes them more affordable, then I’m all for it. Having the book is what matters to me. 

Way off topic here. But trimming is not restoration, it is destroying a book by removing part of it. Exact opposite of any restoration regardless of amateur or pro.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, Finhead said:

Way off topic here. But trimming is not restoration, it is destroying a book by removing part of it. Exact opposite of any restoration regardless of amateur or pro.

While I do know trimming is pretty bad, I can see where you’re coming from but it can go both ways.

Like you said, it's more like damaging a comic than "restoring" it. I understand that since you would be removing paper from the Cap #1 and you’re not restoring or replacing that missing paper, you would just be ruining a perfectly good book. 

Whereas I can see how it would be considered restoration since you’re altering the Cap #1 to improve its appearance, which is something that’s typically done when people choose to restore books. 

On 11/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, Terry JSA said:

I would rather have this one with "slight CT" and trimming, than an "extensive resto" with all sorts of mystery pieces added.

On 11/2/2021 at 6:32 PM, Terry JSA said:

While I do know trimming is pretty bad, I can see where you’re coming from but it can go both ways.

Like you said, it's more like damaging a comic than "restoring" it. I understand that since you would be removing paper from the Cap #1 and you’re not restoring or replacing that missing paper, you would just be ruining a perfectly good book. 

Whereas I can see how it would be considered restoration since you’re altering the Cap #1 to improve its appearance, which is something that’s typically done when people choose to restore books. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, gadzukes said:

I would rather have this one with "slight CT" and trimming, than an "extensive resto" with all sorts of mystery pieces added.

I tend to agree.  I'm no fan of trimming, but these books have gotten so expensive that I would take nearly any opportunity to own one. 

If I had an opportunity, I would preferred a neatly trimmed book over one with extensive resto. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, KCOComics said:

I tend to agree.  I'm no fan of trimming, but these books have gotten so expensive that I would take nearly any opportunity to own one. 

If I had an opportunity, I would preferred a neatly trimmed book over one with extensive resto. 

If you buy the trimmed copy and then leafcast new edges with CT...hm  would the "Trimming" designation go away?

On 11/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, gadzukes said:

If you buy the trimmed copy and then leafcast new edges with CT...hm  would the "Trimming" designation go away?

Probably, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Whatever you may gain in value has to be weighed against the risk incurred during shipping, restoring, and regrading. 

Under most circumstances I tend to leave well enough alone (I write as in contemplating sending a GA book to CCS to "see what they can do")