• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 10:50 PM, Dark Knight said:

I don't think the 9.4 sale should lift all lower graded copies higher because of the uniqueness of the book in this high grade. Also, it is from a well-renowned and one of the most desired pedigrees to boot.  

+1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:50 PM, Dark Knight said:

I don't think the 9.4 sale should lift all lower graded copies higher because of the uniqueness of the book in this high grade. Also, it is from a well-renowned and one of the most desired pedigrees to boot.  

The sale may flush out more low grade copies of Cap 1 to the public. Marvel 1 is experiencing that lately with a 4.5, 2.5, and the Pay copy all selling within a three month period, publicly. Prior to that, we’d be lucky to hear of one copy in a year selling publicly or privately :preach:

it’s good to see the Reilly Cap 1 sell publicly twice in a few years. It had not been seen for over 40 years prior to that…

On 4/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, Aman619 said:

Id say that there will be a lot of increase for lower grade copies now that Cap 1 has a 3M sale on the board.  Just like AF15 at 3.6 had jumpstarted all the lower grades since.  Theres so much less risk paying the price now for any Cap 1 than there was a week ago!

No one who has a complete lower grade copy, including restored copies, would be wise to sell for less than $100k now IMO.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, Northwest said:

Cap 1 9.4 increased by 241% from the $915k sale in August 2019. That's impressive appreciation in under over 2 years or under 3 years. 

Screenshot_20220407-123722~2.png

FTFY:  Although it looks like you are good with numbers in terms of calculating your percentages, you are not so good with determining the numbers of years.  :bigsmile:

On 4/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, Aman619 said:

Id say that there will be a lot of increase for lower grade copies now that Cap 1 has a 3M sale on the board.  Just like AF15 at 3.6 had jumpstarted all the lower grades since.  Theres so much less risk paying the price now for any Cap 1 than there was a week ago!

This.  

-J.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:32 PM, lou_fine said:

FTFY:  Although it looks like you are good with numbers in terms of calculating your percentages, you are not so good with determining the numbers of years.  :bigsmile:

Yes, updated and thank you. I will put my time machine away for now.  :bigsmile:

On 4/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, Aman619 said:

Totally agree with you as I believe in the theiry that a rising tide tends to lift all boats.  (thumbsu

Besides this same type of increase that we have seen with AF 15, we are also experiencing not only the same phenomeon with lower graded copies of TMNT 1 below CGC 9.8, but also a rising tide for some of the later Turtles issues after TMNT 1.  :applause:

Roaming around the web, I found an interesting picture of Capt America 1. Initially I thought the Cap 1 was a replica since it was a nicely presenting book encased in a slab with an unknown label but I noticed the Bonnet’s store stamp. I don’t recall many key issues with a Bonnet’s stamp on them. It appears the restored book was slabbed and the grading label replaced with a Hero Restoration label. This book resides in the Hall of Heroes Superhero museum in Elkhart Indiana. Anyone here visit this museum?

HOH museum.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

On 7/6/2022 at 1:03 AM, jpepx78 said:

Roaming around the web, I found an interesting picture of Capt America 1. Initially I thought the Cap 1 was a replica since it was a nicely presenting book encased in a slab with an unknown label but I noticed the Bonnet’s store stamp. I don’t recall many key issues with a Bonnet’s stamp on them. It appears the restored book was slabbed and the grading label replaced with a Hero Restoration label. This book resides in the Hall of Heroes Superhero museum in Elkhart Indiana. Anyone here visit this museum?

HOH museum.jpg

Oh neat!

That's my label! I was wondering why Mike at Hero Restoration wanted a custom label a few years back and what ever came of it :D

On 6/24/2023 at 9:36 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went looking (about two years deep in the GA threads) for a general-purpose Captain America Comics collecting thread, but couldn't find one.  (If I missed it, please let me know!)

Anyway, I've been wrestling with the idea of attempting to join this club for a few years now, but wasn't sure it was ever going to happen.  Then this week I saw an opportunity to buy my first-ever books from Cap's GA run, and I pounced:

image.thumb.jpeg.0f84cb21205eead6c7ce39e2775254ce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37474a70ad1ce674e01bce1857e0d4b8.jpeg

So I think it's now just a matter of time before I fill in #1-5.  I'm going to target 7.0 (or as close as possible) for #2 and #5, but with #1 I'm going to be open to (almost) all grades.

That’s a good 3, and you caught it at a good price 

On 6/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went looking (about two years deep in the GA threads) for a general-purpose Captain America Comics collecting thread, but couldn't find one.  (If I missed it, please let me know!)

Anyway, I've been wrestling with the idea of attempting to join this club for a few years now, but wasn't sure it was ever going to happen.  Then this week I saw an opportunity to buy my first-ever books from Cap's GA run, and I pounced:

So I think it's now just a matter of time before I fill in #1-5.  I'm going to target 7.0 (or as close as possible) for #2 and #5, but with #1 I'm going to be open to (almost) all grades.

The #3 has a such great eye appeal. Congrats on the pickups!

On 6/24/2023 at 10:55 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s a good 3, and you caught it at a good price 

Thank you!  It's so hard to set a price for books like this but in the moment I did think I ended up paying at worst a fair price, at best a bargain price.  Not experienced enough with GA books to be certain.  lol

On 6/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

:headbang:

Simply amazing pickups Lou!

-bc

On 6/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sweet pickups @Sweet Lou 14