• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 10:10 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

No, because the leaf cast portion would have to be trimmed in order to have any shape resembling the edges of a comic book. 

You do realize that every comic book in existence has been trimmed to size right?

I'm saying that if you leafcast the extra 1/16" or 1/8" to the edge and trim it to the original size that the comic would have been, then CT the appropriate color/designs to the leafcast it would restore the pretrimmed/original look.  Surely this has been done to a restored comic by this time.  I was just wondering if the "trimmed" designation gets removed at that point.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:42 AM, gadzukes said:

Surely this has been done to a restored comic by this time.  I was just wondering if the "trimmed" designation gets removed at that point.

if this was the case you wouldn't find a single restored key with trimmed designation

@Ze-man

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 11/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, gadzukes said:

You do realize that every comic book in existence has been trimmed to size right?

I'm saying that if you leafcast the extra 1/16" or 1/8" to the edge and trim it to the original size that the comic would have been, then CT the appropriate color/designs to the leafcast it would restore the pretrimmed/original look.  Surely this has been done to a restored comic by this time.  I was just wondering if the "trimmed" designation gets removed at that point.

I can answer definitively- NO. Because I submitted a Tec 27 to Matt Nelson to evaluate for that very thing about 8 years ago. It's a 6.5 B-3 with a right edge trim of a little more than 1/8". He told me that CGC confirmed the leaf casting would NOT remove the "right edge trimmed" designation, and would also result in a B-5 on the restoration. I considered getting the leaf casting done anyway, because I hate the trimming, but literally everyone I consulted about it advised me not to do it. I remember talking to Gator about it a couple of times. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't do it. I'll live with the book as it is.

That's what Matt told me too, so I took my book elsewhere.

The place I went to said that Matt told him that he always had to declare the trimming, presumably because of his association with CGC. Resto guys who are not associated with CGC do not have to declare it, so, if the leafcasting work etc is done well enough, then  the book loses it's trimmed designation.

This is a fact in my case - my book is no longer trimmed.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:16 AM, quicksilver said:

That's what Matt told me too, so I took my book elsewhere.

The place I went to said that Matt told him that he always had to declare the trimming, presumably because of his association with CGC. Resto guys who are not associated with CGC do not have to declare it, so, if the leafcasting work etc is done well enough, then  the book loses it's trimmed designation.

This is a fact in my case - my book is no longer trimmed.

Congrats

On 11/7/2021 at 2:49 AM, Gotham Kid said:

No, you will sell it to me. You will sleep better knowing you no longer have a trimmed book haunting you.

LOL! Good one. But in all seriousness: Is a moderately restored (B-3) book with an edge trim preferable to, say, an extensively restored (B-5) with leaf casting to remove the "edge trimmed" CGC designation? I think probably the former?

On 11/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, twmjr1 said:

LOL! Good one. But in all seriousness: Is a moderately restored (B-3) book with an edge trim preferable to, say, an extensively restored (B-5) with leaf casting to remove the "edge trimmed" CGC designation? I think probably the former?

Depending on eye appeal, I would take a moderately restored with trimming over an extensively restored. 

It really comes down to personal preference. And with a book of that caliber, I wouldn't be very picky. I would just be happy to own that one! 

Cap 1 5.5 "conserved" on Clink.

$71,000

I honestly am not sure what to think of that price.  Part of me thinks it might be low (but I think it's because I have a conserved Cap 1 xD)

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D5%23Item_1530100&id=1530100&itemType=0

1.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 12/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, gadzukes said:

$71,000

I honestly am not sure what to think of that price.  Part of me thinks it might be low (but I think it's because I have a conserved Cap 1 xD)

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D5%23Item_1530100&id=1530100&itemType=0

1.jpeg

I think this same copy sold previously for $63k on August of this year

On 12/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, gadzukes said:

$71,000

1.jpeg

"Conserved" and married.  

Isn't that like , what , about 25% blue label value?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules