• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta, Wrightson, Jones, Smith, Adams, Ploog and more - Portfolio Madness

294 posts in this topic

Just checked Barry Windsor-Smith (BWS) Opus 1 & 2, and many of his simply awesome works that you have presented in this thread are not included, instead it seems that BWS prefers to focus on his art from 1980 and later*. It is a shame, of course I can understand that BWS has evolved and wants to show his new art, but still I like his art from the 1970s *much* more than his more recent productions. And I do believe I am not alone with such thoughts.

This is also the great problem with the Opus books - I really do not care much about his very personal and paranormal experiences, including his views upon the universe. (I would read for example Hawking and certainly not BWS, if I wanted to know more about the universe. And some of his visions like talking to his couch and the people made of light, many psychiatric patients actually get treated for such hallucinations... :facepalm: Seems he recovered without any treatment ) - My guess is that I am not the only reader reading Opus 1 & 2 to learn more about his Conan art, but most parts of these books seem an unstructured mess, where only small fragments of the greater Conan story are given from time to time :taptaptap: .

So my point again, I greatly appreciate watching the art you have shared in this thread! :applause: (thumbs u If only BWS had included those pieces in his Opus books and had gotten help from a real and experienced author writing it...

*One explanation may of course be that BWS planned to publish several more Opus books, all seem to be cancelled due to poor reviews and low sales.

Just checked Barry Windsor-Smith (BWS) Opus 1 & 2, and many of his simply awesome works that you have presented in this thread are not included, instead it seems that BWS prefers to focus on his art from 1980 and later*. It is a shame, of course I can understand that BWS has evolved and wants to show his new art, but still I like his art from the 1970s *much* more than his more recent productions. And I do believe I am not alone with such thoughts.

This is also the great problem with the Opus books - I really do not care much about his very personal and paranormal experiences, including his views upon the universe. (I would read for example Hawking and certainly not BWS, if I wanted to know more about the universe. And some of his visions like talking to his couch and the people made of light, many psychiatric patients actually get treated for such hallucinations... :facepalm: Seems he recovered without any treatment ) - My guess is that I am not the only reader reading Opus 1 & 2 to learn more about his Conan art, but most parts of these books seem an unstructured mess, where only small fragments of the greater Conan story are given from time to time :taptaptap: .

So my point again, I greatly appreciate watching the art you have shared in this thread! :applause: (thumbs u If only BWS had included those pieces in his Opus books and had gotten help from a real and experienced author writing it...

*One explanation may of course be that BWS planned to publish several more Opus books, all seem to be cancelled due to poor reviews and low sales.

I'm a huge fan of BWS...... but especially so of his 70's Gorblimey Press material, when he was still just a young Turk with a dream and oodles of talent. I still remember when Judy first invited me to her house to meet her son ..... and I noticed a print of "Pandora's Box" hanging on her wall :luhv: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The detail that Wrightson put into these is staggering. I wouldn't have anywhere near the patience - truly remarkable artist!

I had no idea how staggeringly good these were until I saw a few of the originals in person. Neither scans nor prints can fully capture his artistry.

The detail that Wrightson put into these is staggering. I wouldn't have anywhere near the patience - truly remarkable artist!

I had no idea how staggeringly good these were until I saw a few of the originals in person. Neither scans nor prints can fully capture his artistry.

The other prints are awesome too, but the effects of light and darkness on this one simply is simply stunning (like an Impressionist painting) - and especially the grass, it must have taken ages to draw these details - a good thing is that if your check out the full size of the scans, you get much closer to the artistry:

Wrightson Frankenstein Set #2 Full Size (sorry, the link no longer works, you have to press the magnifying glass in the lower right corner two times to get full size)

I know it may sound silly to some art connoisseurs, but I truly consider the art presented in this thread as examples of the true van Goghs and Monets of our time (or just my mind) - I simply can think of no better artists than Frazetta, BWS, Wrightson, Jones, Vallejo, Kaluta to name a few (worship)

Full size :cloud9:

Conan (or just another great day at work with the usual bunch of competitive colleagues) (sorry, the link no longer works, you have to press the magnifying glass in the lower right corner two times to get full size)

Can't help but think that today BWS seems to consider his early Conan art a bit like Alec Guinness later did not appreciate receiving the most fame for his performance as Obi-Wan Kenobi... :facepalm:

Maybe BWS does not want to be stuck with the art he did so long ago, although Limahl still seems to be going strong:

- and Alphaville too lol (sorry, I've often been told I have a sick sense of humor :insane: )

The other prints are awesome too, but the effects of light and darkness on this one simply is simply stunning (like an Impressionist painting) - and especially the grass, it must have taken ages to draw these details - a good thing is that if your check out the full size of the scans, you get much closer to the artistry:

Wrightson Frankenstein Set #2 Full Size (sorry, the link no longer works, you have to press the magnifying glass in the lower right corner two times to get full size)

I know it may sound silly to some art connoisseurs, but I truly consider the art presented in this thread as examples of the true van Goghs and Monets of our time (or just my mind) - I simply can think of no better artists than Frazetta, BWS, Wrightson, Jones, Vallejo, Kaluta to name a few (worship)

I can only imagine how the OA looks. The portfolios have a lot of appeal to me for multiple reasons -

1. I can't afford the OA although some of these can run into a few hundred dollars

2. The prints are larger and unadulterated by someone else's inks (normally)

3. Some are tough to find so it adds some intrigue to my search

4. The artist will put more effort into a dedicated portfolio to showcase their talent (at least that is what I feel)

5. I like the singed editions because it is likely the only I can get a sig (especially on those that have passed away)

6. Still in my dreams to have a man-cave and adorn the walls with some of these. I turn 50 in a few months and will retire from my job January, 2015. Inventory, pare down the collection and man-cave hopefully on the horizon :wishluck:

This is an interesting one. Not terribly rare or expensive but I think pretty cool. Published in 1987 by Blackthorne. It contains 13 plates from some great artists. All of the plates are signed by the artist. This one is #1000/1500. The is a deluxe collection which is the first 99 produced.

StrengthofManFront.jpg