• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Pressing Contribute To Global Warming?

240 posts in this topic

So....everyone needs to stop taking showers and "poof" no more global warming?

hm

I notice a lot of dudes at cons are keeping it green :sick:

Steam isn't a greenhouse gas, Methuselah.

You're only right because you don't know why.

Often what we see coming off of a boiling pot of water or off of a hot iron many people call "steam". Steam is actually invisible as that's the name for the heat that produces water vapor and it's water vapor that you're actually seeing. Water vapor is the primary greenhouse gas.

So, yes steam is not a greenhouse gas because it's not even a gas but the resulting water vapor is.

I was unaware that we were delving into the technicalities of the chemistry and physics, you presumptuous and pompous arse.

It's ok for you to come out of the closet. The world accepts you now.

So....everyone needs to stop taking showers and "poof" no more global warming?

hm

I notice a lot of dudes at cons are keeping it green :sick:

Those individuals create their own "micro climate".

Often what we see coming off of a boiling pot of water or off of a hot iron many people call "steam". Steam is actually invisible as that's the name for the heat that produces water vapor and it's water vapor that you're actually seeing. Water vapor is the primary greenhouse gas.

So, yes steam is not a greenhouse gas because it's not even a gas but the resulting water vapor is.

talk-nerdy-to-me-girl_zps45887f9a.jpg

Some think it might. The heat and moisture involved in pressing might indeed have an effect on our environment.

you breathing does, try to do less of it

Some think it might. The heat and moisture involved in pressing might indeed have an effect on our environment.

Best OP in CG in a coon's age.

Water vapor acts like a lens that reflects and traps energy, sort of like a fine glass lens in a laser.

If you go deeper into the physical realities of the atmosphere, thinking that way can get one all tangled up. It's more accurate and closest to the physical reality to think of the atmosphere as a blanket that slows the cooling of the earth.

The earth is always going to eventually give (practically) all its heat off into space. Gasses in the atmosphere slow that process down, warming the atmosphere significantly more than it would be otherwise.

Lenses/reflections/traps are less precise descriptions, although they are commonly used metaphors when trying to explain greenhouse gasses. I wouldn't be surprised to see a NASA page using them.

100 years from now a nanotech barrier will surround the Earth, allowing us to control the climate. This will then be used to make Mars inhabitable, then Venus.

But people will still argue about stuff.

I was unaware that we were delving into the technicalities of the chemistry and physics, you presumptuous and pompous arse.

So, implying that I'm gay is your idea of an insult? Stay classy, little man. Stay classy.

(thumbs u

So, implying that I'm gay is your idea of an insult? Stay classy, little man. Stay classy.

(thumbs u

Hang on - he'll tell you that you hate America next

There's one thing that keeps me going when considering the extinction of the species.

We'll finally be rid of your homophobia, you aching simpleton.

I think wishing someone dead is a bit worse than using gay as an insult.