• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arnold T. Blumberg Signing Big Little Book Guide in Baltimore

51 posts in this topic

Right, stop that! Silly! I've noticed that many of these threads suddenly and for no reason disintegrate into an endless barrage of Monty Python quotes, and we're trying to present a serious thread about Big Little Books, signings, and complaints about the Comic Book Price Guide. So we'll have none of this silly Holy Grail nonsense. Cut back to the thread when I say cut...wait for it...cut!

Sheesh! Give a guy a thread of his own and the next thing you know he's drunk with power and having Mariah Carey-style diva tantrums!

"Wewease the Mawiahas!"

Thanks rjpb. As for your question, I'm afraid there are no plans to list undergrounds in the Guide. I *do* know of an underground price guide project percolating out there that the folks at Hippy Comix are planning to put out next year perhaps, so that might address the gap in info there.

Arnold

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Well, that would be something to add to the Comic Book price guide. Comic books.

And Big Little Books, which, while part of the historical tapestry of the comic book universe, are most definitely NOT comic books, could come out. Just a thought.

Right, stop that! Silly! I've noticed that many of these threads suddenly and for no reason disintegrate into an endless barrage of Monty Python quotes, and we're trying to present a serious thread about Big Little Books, signings, and complaints about the Comic Book Price Guide. So we'll have none of this silly Holy Grail nonsense. Cut back to the thread when I say cut...wait for it...cut!

Sheesh! Give a guy a thread of his own and the next thing you know he's drunk with power and having Mariah Carey-style diva tantrums!

"Wewease the Mawiahas!"

Let us taunt him. He may become so cross that he'll make a mistake!

So did somebody shoot your dog while brandishing a copy of the Guide? Is that the source of your endless surly mood? smile.gif How about having a cookie? Or reading one of those funny books that the kids are all talking about?

My endless surly mood? Surely you jest! I am alternatively surly, grumpy, and curmudgeonly.

"Wewease the Mawiahas!"

Let us taunt him. He may become so cross that he'll make a mistake!

And if he returns we shall taunt him a second time?

And Big Little Books, which, while part of the historical tapestry of the comic book universe, are most definitely NOT comic books, could come out. Just a thought.

Technically speaking,....Big Little books are actually DCs....and no DC collection is complete without all of them......

Thanks rjpb. As for your question, I'm afraid there are no plans to list undergrounds in the Guide. I *do* know of an underground price guide project percolating out there that the folks at Hippy Comix are planning to put out next year perhaps, so that might address the gap in info there.

Arnold

While at least one other price guide has attempted to list at least some undergrounds, it seems there has been a talk of a new UG price guide project for years, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for a comprehensive update on Jay Kennedy's magnificent effort anytime soon. Even if it does come to pass, it doesn't change the fact that Overstreet's lack of aknowledgement of these comics is a gross oversight. It's not as if the OPG pretends they aren't comics - the history of comics section mentions them, and as the lines between independents and undergrounds have become blurred, the guide lists books I would consider underground comics, like Hate and Eightball. It also lists Marvel's Comix Book (or at least it used to).

I applaud the Guide's efforts to cover Victorian Age, Platinum Age and Promotional Comics in the listings, and I realize a comprensive listing of undergrounds would be a major undertaking, but Overstreet not only has a role as a price guide, but as a catalog of all comics considered remotely collectable, or at least nearly all. Even a token and annually expanded effort to list the more "important" undergrounds would show seriousness in the OPG's desire to live up to that role.

But including the undergrounds wouldn't be as simple as just listing them by title with no explanatory text regarding multiple printings, etc. THAT'S the kind of information you would need for a good (or even useful) underground compendium, and as far as I can tell no one at Overstreet has that kind of knowledge. Also, the comic listings don't lend themselves real well to large blocks of explanatory text which would be necessary for undergrounds, and lots of color pics for comparison purposes would be needed too and the guide's not really set up for that as well.

And since Overstreet hasn't tracked sales of undergrounds, how would the prices be compiled, where would this information come from? It would be a lot of guesswork and would probably contain more mis-information than reliable info.

Plus the fact that some of the titles and certainly a lot of the cover images are generally offensive (R or X rated), and that sort of thing would be out of place in a book that is equivalent to a PG-rated movie.

In order to do the undergrounds justice a separate guide is necessary IMO.

But including the undergrounds wouldn't be as simple as just listing them by title with no explanatory text regarding multiple printings, etc. THAT'S the kind of information you would need for a good (or even useful) underground compendium, and as far as I can tell no one at Overstreet has that kind of knowledge. Also, the comic listings don't lend themselves real well to large blocks of explanatory text which would be necessary for undergrounds, and lots of color pics for comparison purposes would be needed too and the guide's not really set up for that as well.

And since Overstreet hasn't tracked sales of undergrounds, how would the prices be compiled, where would this information come from? It would be a lot of guesswork and would probably contain more mis-information than reliable info.

Plus the fact that some of the titles and certainly a lot of the cover images are generally offensive (R or X rated), and that sort of thing would be out of place in a book that is equivalent to a PG-rated movie.

In order to do the undergrounds justice a separate guide is necessary IMO.

A seperate guide is probably needed for comprehensive listings, but that doesn't mean the OPG can't try a little harder. In fact, very few undergrounds have overly complicated printing histories, and there is no reason why explanatory test can't be used for the more important ones - they do this already for other books of interest. Many undergrounds are valuable precisely because there is only one printing. I can understand not listing some of the more offensive titles, but as for cover images - since Overstreet doesn't show every cover image now (nude variants), this isn't relevant.

As to the issue of guesswork about pricing due to not tracking sales, I think this describes a good chunk of the guide values already. There is probably more accurate info available on the values of many undergrounds from Overstreet's existing advisors than there is for much of the more obscure material already in the guide.

Please be assured that when information like this is included in the price guide, it isn't an 'either/or' situation. You're not losing anything by us including BLB pricing in the comic guide

Well, without them, there *might* be room to include the marketplace section. devil.gif

Please be assured that when information like this is included in the price guide, it isn't an 'either/or' situation. You're not losing anything by us including BLB pricing in the comic guide, and if we want to pack in even more comic book data, we will, and we'll find the space to do it. Taking out something would not mean we'd have 'room' for something else. Nothing is being replaced or lost here.

So if you took out the BLB data, you wouldn't replace it with anything else?

Just thought I'd risk ridicule to toss in some self-promotion. If anyone's in the Baltimore area and wants to say hi, I'll be signing copies of the new BIG BIG LITTLE BOOK BOOK at Geppi's Comic World near Rolling Road and Rt. 40 from 4:30-7pm today.

OK, ego-boosting commercial over. smile.gif

Arnold

What's with you referring to yourself in the third person in the subject line? Who do you think you are, Karl Malone? 27_laughing.gif

Just thought I'd risk ridicule to toss in some self-promotion. If anyone's in the Baltimore area and wants to say hi, I'll be signing copies of the new BIG BIG LITTLE BOOK BOOK at Geppi's Comic World near Rolling Road and Rt. 40 from 4:30-7pm today.

Arnold

What's with you referring to yourself in the third person in the subject line? Who do you think you are, Karl Malone? 27_laughing.gif

Deathlok says sleeping.gif

Arnold

Why did you copy MK's avatar? Are you finally acknowledging the obvious superiority of his mental faculties in comparison to yours? I am sure he'll have a party to celebrate the occasion, and assuming that you are able to decipher the street directions, I'm sure you'll be allowed to attend. I think he might even have a spare drool bib and slop bucket on hand for when you attempt to plow through the whole cake in one sitting.

1.5 z

Arnold

Why did you copy MK's avatar? Are you finally acknowledging the obvious superiority of his mental faculties in comparison to yours? I am sure he'll have a party to celebrate the occasion, and assuming that you are able to decipher the street directions, I'm sure you'll be allowed to attend. I think he might even have a spare drool bib and slop bucket on hand for when you attempt to plow through the whole cake in one sitting.

1.5 z

I actually prefer a recognizable icon instead of some red blur than is so common among the Least Common Denominator© element. MK is but one of many who recognize the brilliance associated with the Domo.

.75 z

Arnold

1.5 z

I actually prefer a recognizable icon instead of some red blur than is so common among the Least Common Denominator© element. MK is but one of many who recognize the brilliance associated with the Domo.

.75 z

domo_fap.gif

.375 z

Arnold

1.5 z

.75 z

My icon is simply a mirror reflecting your image.

.375 z

(I am disregarding Norrin Radd's feeble attempt to join our splitting of the Zs, after he disqualified himself last night.)

Arnold

1.5 z

.75 z

My icon is simply a mirror reflecting your image.

.375 z

(I am disregarding Norrin Radd's feeble attempt to join our splitting of the Zs, after he disqualified himself last night.)

I'll just leave you two to mindlessly trash yet another thread. tongue.gif

.1875 z