• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

Yes, adapt, did you hear when the old man said once they fully adapt they can take human form, was it me or was I hearing things.

They take on more developed characteristics (thinking, using tools, etc.), but they do not take human forms.

That is how I understood it, anyway.

Thanks,

I like it and the way the pace has picked up the last few weeks, that hour just flies by. I've found Walking Dead and True Blood to be unwatchable and boring anymore, The Strain gives me something to look forward to on Sunday nights

Wow you are trying to sherlock holmes this to death. The reason they didn't run after the girl with the hat was because they are getting directions from the Master. He can see thru their eyes which if you would have been watching carefully confuses the heck out of Eph because he thinks they would follow her aka prey yet they didn't. This further backs up what Setrakian has been saying all along. Now do you really think if something was going on the authorities would spill all the details to incite more riots and robberies? If all the criminals in New York knew the police were busy fighting these things they would have no fear to loot everything they could get their hands on.

The internet / cell phones were hacked by the English Dutch lady who was paid to do so. And finally on the vampires thinking...they are evolving as they stay alive. Some are chosen like Eichorst to fully retain memories and personalities of their former selves and others remain basic foot soldiers.

I'm not trying to belittle your comments but if you have been critically watching this show week after week they would be easy to answer.

Yes its so bad its awful. That is why its averaging 11 million viewers combined weekly live and on demand. Also Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan, and Carlton Cuse are all horrible too. :jokealert:

Big fan of Guillermo Del Toro! Don't know much about Chuck Hogan. And Carlton Cuse should know better! But I was a huge fan of "Lost," which was a show that many people had problems with but I stuck with it until the end (and, yes, I liked the finale). I always found "Lost" to be exciting and interesting even though things didn't always add up or make sense. And I actually think "Bates Motel" is a solid show that doesn't suffer from the poor writing that I'm seeing in "The Strain" (although season two of "Bates" was not quite as good as season one, but still entertaining). Better acting in "Bates Motel" as well.

Look, I'm not saying "The Strain" is horrible. I'm still watching it. But it's definitely full of holes and I just wish it was better!

I'd actually like to hear from people who have read the books (I haven't). Is this a good adaptation?

Wow you are trying to sherlock holmes this to death. The reason they didn't run after the girl with the hat was because they are getting directions from the Master. He can see thru their eyes which if you would have been watching carefully confuses the heck out of Eph because he thinks they would follow her aka prey yet they didn't. This further backs up what Setrakian has been saying all along. Now do you really think if something was going on the authorities would spill all the details to incite more riots and robberies? If all the criminals in New York knew the police were busy fighting these things they would have no fear to loot everything they could get their hands on.

The internet / cell phones were hacked by the English Dutch lady who was paid to do so. And finally on the vampires thinking...they are evolving as they stay alive. Some are chosen like Eichorst to fully retain memories and personalities of their former selves and others remain basic foot soldiers.

I'm not trying to belittle your comments but if you have been critically watching this show week after week they would be easy to answer.

Yes its so bad its awful. That is why its averaging 11 million viewers combined weekly live and on demand. Also Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan, and Carlton Cuse are all horrible too. :jokealert:

From what I understand Honey Boo Boo has a following as well.

The show is pretty hit or miss with me, some episodes I like, some I don't. I'm not sure how long the series will last. I'm guessing it's going to end up much like Revolution.

From what I understand Honey Boo Boo has a following as well.

The show is pretty hit or miss with me, some episodes I like, some I don't. I'm not sure how long the series will last. I'm guessing it's going to end up much like Revolution.

"We've never had any doubts about The Strain," FX Networks chief John Landgraf said in a statement accompanying the announcement. "Working with Guillermo del Toro, Carlton Cuse and the brilliant cast led by Corey Stoll has been everything we had hoped it would be and more. It is thrilling when you have a show that is a creative and commercial hit, which is a rare accomplishment in this increasingly crowded marketplace. We look forward (to) having it on FX for as long as Carlton, Guillermo and Chuck Hogan need to tell this epic tale."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/08/19/fx-renews-the-strain-from-guillermo-del-toro-carlton-cuse/14292013/

a plot that advances only because every character is clueless and does stupid things does not make for a well-written show.

That statement describes nearly every hollywood movie and tv show on for the last 35 plus years. Its called escapism and entertainment. Novels and comic books are the same way its a place for people to escape real life for a while.

Spoiler Alert..........Vampires are not real shhhh its a secret. :roflmao:

Don't be a doosh. There are plenty of well-written TV shows from the last couple of decades in both the sci-fi and the supernatural genres that don't require the insane suspension of disbelief that this particular show commands.

I've read and thoroughly enjoyed all the books - the TV show, however, magnifies elements that flew under the radar when you're simply reading the story & shines a big fat spotlight on the fact that they're sacrificing any sense of realism to push the story forward. It's fairly glaring if you've read the books and most certainly why I'm not enjoying the show as much as I'd like to.

THANK YOU!

I'm glad some of you enjoyed last night's episode (#8), but I thought it was atrocious from a writing standpoint. Here are some "prime moments" to ponder:

Oh, SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched Episde #8 yet, then don't read anything below here.

- Cell phones are out, the internet is barely working, and blood-thirsty creatures are prowling the streets of NYC and the mayor gets on the radio to "assure" the citizens of NYC that everything is under control and there is no need to bring in the National Guard or any other help. WHAAAAT????

- Jim is scraped on his face by one of the creatures and Eph sees a worm crawling around under the skin on Jim's cheek. He tells him he's going to operate and then spends time gathering up supplies (including a box cutter!) for the operation. They take Jim into another room for the procedure and as they lay Jim down he says, "What are you going to do????". doh! Eph just told you in the last scene what he was going to do!!!! I know, it's a fairly minor quibble but last night's episode was riddled with bad dialog like this.

- They are trapped in the convenience store/service station and the woman decides to make a run for it. The creatures don't really pursue her. Our heroes decide it's because the creatures are there only for them. But then the bread truck driver makes a break for it and is instantly taken down by the creatures. Why???? Did the woman just get lucky?

- The operation to remove the worm from Jim's face doesn't work as they find out later he's completely infected. This happened in a matter of an hour? Two? Didn't it take at least a day or two for the infection to manifest itself to this degree in the earlier episodes? If the infection shows that obviously after such a short time then no way the original survivors from the plane would ever have been allowed to leave quarantine, right? Speaking of the original survivors form the plane, where is the rock star and the lawyer Mom? Are they even part of the story anymore?

- The vampires are smart enough to climb a telephone pole to knock out power to the service station but not smart enough to realize they can overrun the gas station and take out everybody in there in a matter of minutes. They clearly had the numbers to do so, despite the UV lights and other weapons our heroes had.

- Oh, and I loved it when they realize Jim is still infected after the operation and they lift up his shirt to show many worms squirming around under his skin. When they do this you hear squishy slimy worm sounds. Then they lower his shirt and the sounds are gone. Priceless! Is this an Ed Wood movie?

I'm sure there are other moments I could list but I'm sure this enough for now. I'm sorry if these critiques rub some of you the wrong way, but it's clear some of the writers on this show are really bad. And the frustrating part is that a lot of these gaffes or breakdowns in logic could have been easily fixed. As mschmidt said, it's detracting from my enjoyment of the show. It really could be so much better!!!

(thumbs u

But I'm enjjoying the show, anyway, its all good in its schlock, and horror, and I like the back stories of the Nazi etc,

More so, than WD, which trys to be so serious, and BORING with the character development, (shrug)

I've binge watched this series the past two week and caught my first non-recorded showing tonight.

I've been a bit confused by some of the "nit-picking" about the reality of the series, and I fell in the group of it's fantasy....just enjoy.

Then tonight, Eph decides that now is the time to nail the co-worker in his ex's house while waiting to see if she's been turned into a vampire. Heck, I'm willing to believe in vampires and some of the contrived story-lines for this series...but Eph's quickie is suspension of belief. lol.

I've binge watched this series the past two week and caught my first non-recorded showing tonight.

I've been a bit confused by some of the "nit-picking" about the reality of the series, and I fell in the group of it's fantasy....just enjoy.

Then tonight, Eph decides that now is the time to nail the co-worker in his ex's house while waiting to see if she's been turned into a vampire. Heck, I'm willing to believe in vampires and some of the contrived story-lines for this series...but Eph's quickie is suspension of belief. lol.

First episode it was hinted at their affair beforehand.