• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

I just read the online scan of the Superman story in the 9.0 Action 1. What a great book. And what great condition! I got chills reading it. I still have never seen physical copy of Action 1- eventually I will get to a con to see one. I think the 9.0 white copy will increase the value of all Action 1's. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever own one.

A few years ago on the boards we had a debate about which book would sell for more- Action 1 or Detective 27. After reading the newly public copy, I fall more firmly into the Action 1 camp.

David.

I agree I do think CGC needs to speak to the census update topic.

People do make purchasing decisions based on a books census count and the related market results.

I'd be upset if I was buying the "single highest graded" of something when it wasnt.

(and yes I know this can happen anyway because people hold back high grade raw comics all the time and they never hit the census...)

I have a slightly different view of the census data. It is a FREE service provided by CGC (why they don't charge for access still amazes me). Given it is free, folks can complain all they want, but it is free. Everyone should know that the census data is not 100% accurate and uses it with than in mind. If folks aren't aware it isn't 100% accurate, please take note now.

It's clear that there are a lot of inadvertent inaccuracies in the census that result form data being keyed in incorrectly. There is also the problem of the same book being entered two or more times because of resubmissions.

I think it's a different matter, though, when CGC intentionally delays entering a book into the census until months after it was graded.

Why is it bad (shrug) it is their census and they can do what every they want with it.

Because doing this has the potential to undermine their integrity.

The census affects market conditions and when they alter the way they report the census for a specific book they appear to be purposefully manipulating the market, perhaps to someone's advantage, and another's disadvantage. Their policy should be to be "independent" in all possible instances.

Why (shrug) do you not realize CGC is a for profit company? They operate to make a profit and do what they need to in order to achieve this. Again, the census is a FREE thing they provide much like these boards. Of course they don't do it to be nice to all of us, they do it because they believe it helps their business. How it affects the market is entirely because of how people use (or misuse) the information.

Well, if profits are the overriding factor in their corporate decisions, I think they need to consider how being either outright or perceived to be: 1) playing favorites; or 2) inconsistent in policy, affects their profits.

I think CGC needs to apology to those who make the rules for the Census. :sumo:

I briefly stopped by metro booth today. Didn't have much time and did not shop anywhere else. They had two A1s and a D27 on display and were not overly impressed by the new A1 as compared to their record sale.

I briefly stopped by metro booth today. Didn't have much time and did not shop anywhere else. They had two A1s and a D27 on display and were not overly impressed by the new A1 as compared to their record sale.

:signfunny:

I would have liked to have met you. (thumbs u

Are you around tomorrow?

:roflmao:

Ebay has a page up announcing the sale. There's a video with Darren Adams and Matt Nelson discussing the book's history and significance. A lot of it's a sales pitch, but there's some interesting information in there.

Ebay Action 1

Watched the video clip on the origin story of this copy and the timeline certainly sounds interesting and a bit confusing!

Book was purchased in 1938 by the OO and placed in a wooden cedar chest until the late 70's or early 80's. Then discovered by a gentleman who had placed an ad for purchasing comic books. This gentleman kept the book for a few years before selling it to a prominent dealer a few years later. This prominent dealer then apparently kept the book for about 30 years before selling it to Darren Adams.

The timeline does not sound correct as this basically meant the this particular copy of Action Comics #1 was sold raw to Darren within the past few years. Does it make sense for a prominent dealer to be selling this kind of book raw as it does not appear to be previously graded based upon the census information which we have. ???

I would assume the timeline from their little story is probably off by 10 years or so, otherwise it really doesn't make much sense given today's market conditions with respect to grading.

I made the mistake of checking out the General thread about this book. That was 20 IQ points I lost that I'll never get back.

yea, It pained me the ignorance flying free, my favorite part was someone comparing this book to GI joe #21... :D

This may be the only time in our lives we'll ever hear G.I. Joe #21 compared to Action Comics #1 in a serious tone. Thank God. doh!

Actually, that poster that made the GI Joe 21 remark was clearly being sarcastic and making fun of another poster who was uninformed and acting like a know it all.

But yeah, in general that thread is painful to read.

Ebay has a page up announcing the sale. There's a video with Darren Adams and Matt Nelson discussing the book's history and significance. A lot of it's a sales pitch, but there's some interesting information in there.

Ebay Action 1

Watched the video clip on the origin story of this copy and the timeline certainly sounds interesting and a bit confusing!

Book was purchased in 1938 by the OO and placed in a wooden cedar chest until the late 70's or early 80's. Then discovered by a gentleman who had placed an ad for purchasing comic books. This gentleman kept the book for a few years before selling it to a prominent dealer a few years later. This prominent dealer then apparently kept the book for about 30 years before selling it to Darren Adams.

The timeline does not sound correct as this basically meant the this particular copy of Action Comics #1 was sold raw to Darren within the past few years. Does it make sense for a prominent dealer to be selling this kind of book raw as it does not appear to be previously graded based upon the census information which we have. ???

I would assume the timeline from their little story is probably off by 10 years or so, otherwise it really doesn't make much sense given today's market conditions with respect to grading.

just based on observation around here, arent there some "anti-CGC" dealers who dont submit/slab anything?

It wouldnt be the first time someone let their pride/stubornness get in the way of maximizing profit.

Are you around tomorrow?

Yep. I look forward to meeting folks.

Ebay Action 1

The excessive comic sans makes my head hurt

Are you around tomorrow?

Yep. I look forward to meeting folks.

Keep on the look-out for a sharp dude with a spectacular mane of hair; you'll have a 50/50 chance of greeting Vintage Roy. (thumbs u

Ebay Action 1

Interesting.......would the choice of e-bay be for the terms of sale or condition?