• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Ah c'mon Roy you're reaching

Nope, I'm just sharing my perspective and what actually happened as documented by recorded sales, etc.

I have no problem with admitting I might be wrong with some of what I perceive.

If those 'in the know' in the 1970's want to make it an elitist, high brow debate including name calling they can feel free to.

When a relative noob is massaged into buying a key book for a world record price from one of the most successful comics entrepreneurs, or from the largest dealer in the country, as happened with Parrino and the Flash #1, we all take the price paid with a grain of salt. These guys tend to pay up way more than us regular comics collectors would.

When you are a newbie and step up and overpay by decades, records are set as we saw happening with the Pay Copy and the Flash 1. The Flash was just the nicest copy of a scarce first appearance, but the Pay Copy had a magical one of a kind aspect beyond being just a copy of arguably the most expensive comic book in the world back then. And Geppi had paid a lot for it and it would take a huge sum to "pry" it out of his hands.

I am talking about the mid-early 90s when the Dentist first sold the Flash #1 for $100K. Not a later resale to Parrino.

Geppi paid a fair price for the Pay Copy, not any giant multiple of guide, and I think people are forgetting that it (and the Pay Copy MPFW) were offered in one of the Christies/Sothebys auctions where they failed to meet a modest reserve. It was not much later that Parrino purchased the Pay Copy for many multiples of that reserve.

So was I, the shocking 100k sale to cap pistol man.

So are you saying you believe Darren Adams story as told in the video? doh!

Who cares? Your analogy of the Dentist passing off non-Mile Highs as Mile Highs has nothing to do with any alleged lies of Darren Adams, since he`s not trying to pass it off as a pedigree. What other parts of his story, even if completely fabricated, would affect the desirability of this book?

Don't twist my words. The question posed to you about Dentist passing off the fake Mile Highs as real Mile Highs was in your regard to your comment that Church books would be worth the same if the story behind them were not true. So I posed the question do you value the fake Church books the dentist sold as much as the real ones?

I don't want to keep discussing this endlessly. I usually only post when I see something that's amiss or where I can pass on some knowledge and when I do its usually only one or two posts.

I know it's said there's people on the boards who would buy a book from the devil if he was selling it, but this thread has opened my eyes on how bad the ethics have become in the hobby. And I'm shocked by pointing out what seems to me and others to be a made up story by a dealer and I get a couple trolls. Please go troll someone else. I don't have the time for you.

the Dentist Church thing was a one off between two very elite collectors. An isolated incident that didn't affect the hobby beyond the handful of books and the 2 dealers who were trading with them.

Your analogy, while touching on the possible half truths in the story of this Action 1 is tangential to the main discussion of whether the story told about this book adds up.

A Pedigree notation can be faked. So can the condition of an Action 1. But THIS 9.0 copy does not appear to have been manipulated (restored) beyond the usual primping an old book gets these days. So here the book is legit, story maybe not as much. With the Dentist case, the story was not legit nor were the books.

But my understanding of that incident was along the lines of Zeus toying with Odin over the fates of mere mortals (a few books in eachs massively wonderful collections) and was regrettable and never repeated..

I decided to try to bid on this book. Not because I have any chance of winning, but at least to be able to say that I was the high bidder for 15 seconds.

There is a pre qualification that must be completed, so I started the process a few days ago.

Wanted to post the response I got this morning

"Thank you for your interest and filling out our form.

As you can understand, at this price point we need to confirm each bidder.

To that end, please let me know a time today which you can speak to us about next steps for getting prequalified.

We are looking for the following:

• A scanned/emailed copy of your legal identification

• Confirmation of at least $3 million in liquid funds in your possession

• The ability to make payment promptly when the auction ends

• Understanding that a bid placed on eBay is legally binding, meaning one cannot change their mind after submitting a bid.

Thank you again, and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Sincerely,

Eric Gazin

President of Auction Cause

(323) XXX-XXXX

www.auctioncause.com

www.twitter.com/auctioncause"

Damn 3,000,000+ in liquid funds. guess no THRILL bid for me Only 2.999999 mil short

I decided to try to bid on this book. Not because I have any chance of winning, but at least to be able to say that I was the high bidder for 15 seconds.

There is a pre qualification that must be completed, so I started the process a few days ago.

Wanted to post the response I got this morning

"Thank you for your interest and filling out our form.

As you can understand, at this price point we need to confirm each bidder.

To that end, please let me know a time today which you can speak to us about next steps for getting prequalified.

We are looking for the following:

• A scanned/emailed copy of your legal identification

• Confirmation of at least $3 million in liquid funds in your possession

• The ability to make payment promptly when the auction ends

• Understanding that a bid placed on eBay is legally binding, meaning one cannot change their mind after submitting a bid.

Thank you again, and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Sincerely,

Eric Gazin

President of Auction Cause

(323) XXX-XXXX

www.auctioncause.com

www.twitter.com/auctioncause"

Damn 3,000,000+ in liquid funds. guess no THRILL bid for me Only 2.999999 mil short

so you only have a dollar? lol

If it was a prominent dealer who sold it to Darren Adams in the last year would have known about the Metropolis sales, so why wouldn't have that dealer gone to Metro for assistance?

Metro claimed to me they have known about the book "for years."

And I'm shocked by pointing out what seems to me and others to be a made up story by a dealer and I get a couple trolls.

Another interpretation of what has transpired on this thread is that you are questioning the integrity of a dealer, besmirching a man in a profession where reputation is key, without any real reason to do so other than an inchoate "hunch" the story is made up. What evidence do you have to support such a serious charge? Sometimes discretion is the better part of common sense.

Unrelated (sort of), but a lot of attention seems to be drawn tot he charitable component of this, (great charity in my view too). Though in the fine print, well below the asterisk that references it, is the statement that says 1% of proceeds go to charity. So at $3.75M (the price I would peg this book to sell at), the charitable contribution is $37,500. hm hm.

I would have liked to see a little more go to the cause, but some charity is better than no charity, granted

Joey

And I'm shocked by pointing out what seems to me and others to be a made up story by a dealer and I get a couple trolls.

Another interpretation of what has transpired on this thread is that you are questioning the integrity of a dealer, besmirching a man in a profession where reputation is key, without any real reason to do so other than an inchoate "hunch" the story is made up. What evidence do you have to support such a serious charge? Sometimes discretion is the better part of common sense.

If you believe his story told in the video fine. If you don't believe his video fine. If you come to any conclusions about Darren Adams that is on you. I did not besmirched Darren Adams at all. I'm offended at your suggestion. I have yet to see one of you trolls to say you believe the story told in the video so get off your high horse.

If you believe his story told in the video fine. If you don't believe his video fine. If you come to any conclusions about Darren Adams that is on you. I did not besmirched Darren Adams at all. I'm offended at your suggestion. I have yet to see one of you trolls to say you believe the story told in the video so get off your high horse.

:hi: Darren!

I see it as more of a disagreement in the discussion. I hope all is well. :)

What difference does it make if the story is T or F ? (shrug)

I mean, the new-to-be owner of the book could probably care less.

If I was the buyer, it would matter to me. Just saying...

If it was a prominent dealer who sold it to Darren Adams in the last year would have known about the Metropolis sales, so why wouldn't have that dealer gone to Metro for assistance?

Metro claimed to me they have known about the book "for years."

Thsi would not surprised me at all as Fishler has an absolutely amazing memory like a steel trap when it comes to things like this. He seems to know where all the big books are, even though they may be sitting in private collections and out of the public spotlight for decades.

It's just a matter of whether he can pry them out of the collector's hands or not when it comes time for them to sell.