• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Darren Adams could just be selling the book for someone who dont want people to go after the money he gets.

So having Darren Adams do all the runing around CGC and ebay stuff and he is left alone to do what he wants with the money.Darren Adams is not the real owner................... just my 2cents. Would you want you family and friends you dont know to find out you just go 2 mil ?

Darren Adams could just be selling the book for someone who dont want people to go after the money he gets.

So having Darren Adams do all the runing around CGC and ebay stuff and he is left alone to do what he wants with the money.Darren Adams is not the real owner................... just my 2cents. Would you want you family to find out you just go 2 mil ?

What makes you say he's not the real owner? In the video Darren Adams says that he bought the book of the prominent dealer. It's around 5:44 in the video.

Just my 2 cents If the real owner tells you i dont want the papers or my family to know i will be getting all this money.

I dont want all the dealers all over me could you please say the book is yours for me and get it graded and sell it for me.

What would you do. They might be good friends and it would take a lot of cash to buy this book but little to sell for someone.

The the other auction places do the same sell your book for you. I just think he does not want to people to know who he is. just my thought.

Pretty sure there's nothing shady. This is just a copy that has never been sold publicly(at auction, etc.). Private sales very often remain just that, private.

I don't doubt most books exchange hands by private treaty. I'm talking about the history he tells in the video - that a 'prominent dealer' sold him the book (within the last year doing the math from his history) raises questions that I mentioned in my post. If it was a prominent dealer's estate or a private collector, or if the dealer was named it would have not sounded so shady.

Hopefully Darren Adams will come here on chime in.

I wish him and the Christopher and Dana Reeves Foundation lots of luck in the auction.

prominent dealer sure a lot of people would know him right. Some might get hurt they did not get first shot at book?. Thats why i think Darren Adams is just dealing with the whole thing.

I would think that this would have been great press for his store if people new he had this for years right. He has a business would it not help draw people in?

Just my 2 cents If the real owner tells you i dont want the papers or my family to know i will be getting all this money.

I dont want all the dealers all over me could you please say the book is yours for me and get it graded and sell it for me.

What would you do. They might be good friends and it would take a lot of cash to buy this book but little to sell for someone.

The the other auction places do the same sell your book for you. I just think he does not want to people to know who he is. just my thought.

That's what I'm saying the story he tells just makes it sounds shady.

I'm only giving my personal astonishment that a book of this magnitude can be kept under wraps for all these years without hearing a thing within the hobby! (especially being in the hands of a secondary source - dealer or collector)

I don't understand what is shady about everyone not knowing about the existence of a particular comic? Aren't we surprised every time something special pops up out of existence?

It happens all the time.

There is no mandate to shout from the hilltops if you own a nice Action #1.

Vintage,

Where did I say this is shady?

In fact, it's the other way around - I believe this is all on the up and up. With all the "gossip' in the hobby over the history of fandom and how tight a community the comic hobby is, I just think it is incredible that an Action 1, in this unrestored shape, wasn't known about in the hobby all these years. This was not an original owner find, but has passed through hands (including collector & dealer) before it landed in its current home. A GREAT story/find/secret!

Shady was the wrong word.

I know where several Action #1's sit. It doesn't mean I feel I nor the owners need to talk about it. (shrug)

Pretty sure there's nothing shady. This is just a copy that has never been sold publicly(at auction, etc.). Private sales very often remain just that, private.

Before about 2009 or so, Action #1 sales were not that notable. I mean, they were above average but people didn't go ga-ga over them on this chat forum like they do today.

Now that it's a potentially $1MIL+ book and the book makes the news people feel entitled to know more about each copy that comes to market.

Do people wonder where an Action #7 or an Action #10 or a Batman #9 come from when a new one hits the market? Why is an Action #1 different now but it wasn't in the past?

It really isn't. It's just perceived to be because of the dollar values involved now.

If it was a prominent dealer who sold it to Darren Adams in the last year would have known about the Metropolis sales, so why wouldn't have that dealer gone to Metro for assistance?

Have we really gotten to the point where people think that the fact that someone didn`t sell an Action 1 through Metropolis means it`s shady? :ohnoez:

Before about 2009 or so, Action #1 sales were not that notable. I mean, they were above average but people didn't go ga-ga over them on this chat forum like they do today.

Yes they were. There was actually a guy named "Action1kid" and he would start lots of threads about Action 1. There were so many threads about Action 1 that I remember one member having a fit.

The reason that there weren`t many threads about Action 1 sales prior to 2009 was because there were hardly any sales of unrestored Action 1s from around 2002 or 2003 when the White Rose copy sold (which Action1kid ended up buying a bit later after it had upgraded to a 6.5) until the one that sold on Comicconnect to Dolmayan (which in retrospect was a massive bargain).

Now that it's a potentially $1MIL+ book and the book makes the news people feel entitled to know more about each copy that comes to market.

Do people wonder where an Action #7 or an Action #10 or a Batman #9 come from when a new one hits the market? Why is an Action #1 different now but it wasn't in the past?

It really isn't. It's just perceived to be because of the dollar values involved now.

All valid points Roy but this is possibly the best copy we will ever see. I'm still amazed that there was no whispers of the fact that some dealer/owner was sitting on an amazing copy after all these years. Its not like it didn't change hands for 70 years.

Yes they were. There was actually a guy named "Action1kid" and he would start lots of threads about Action 1. There were so many threads about Action 1 that I remember one member having a fit.

The reason that there weren`t many threads about Action 1 sales prior to 2009 was because there were hardly any sales of unrestored Action 1s from around 2002 or 2003 when the White Rose copy sold (which Action1kid ended up buying a bit later after it had upgraded to a 6.5) until the one that sold on Comicconnect to Dolmayan (which in retrospect was a massive bargain).

I got to buy action1kids copy and was underbidder on the John d win. Ah, memories

I got to buy action1kids copy and was underbidder on the John d win. Ah, memories

It looks like those 2 big dollar collectors didn't stick with comics for too long then.

When was the John D win? The years all blur together for me now.

That auction marked the re-opening of the Action 1 market, even if it was a slightly disappointing sale.

That auction marked the re-opening of the Action 1 market, even if it was a slightly disappointing sale.

2009 I believe

It looks like those 2 big dollar collectors didn't stick with comics for too long then.

Peter sold for same reason I did. Our wives wanted something we needed to sell to afford lol

Remember - you are hearing that from Roy's Marvel #1-centric point of view (where apparently Thunda #1 was also a top 5 book).

Whatever your opinion of Mitch, there is a reason he paid a record price (above guide) for a mid-grade Action #1 in the early 70s -it WAS the king of books. Just like now, anyone that relies solely on Overstreet for what prices actually are is very out of tune with the market.

Yes, Snyder paid a record price for Marvel #1 in the late 70s that was above what any Action #1 had sold for. He also told me directly that there was no comparable Action #1 available at that point to purchase for price comparison. The Church Marvel #1 was miles better than any other copy known then (and still now) and he paid a commensurate price to get it.

Just as he did a few years later when Chuck finally made the Church Action #1 available (even though Marvel #1 was at that point higher priced in the guide).

Except for the brief time during 89-91 Batmania (which also happened to be when the Allentown Tec 27 was sold), Action #1 has almost always ruled the roost in actual market price, despite what the always accurate Overstreet guide says.

It's called getting old. You should just retire rather than continue to heckle the kids on the front lawn. :baiting:

Remember - you are hearing that from Roy's Marvel #1-centric point of view (where apparently Thunda #1 was also a top 5 book).

So Whiz #1, Thunda and a few others weren't close in price in the guide in the early years? :makepoint:

My view isn't Marvel-centric, it's just my perception based on conversations I've had and things I've read.

And from everything I've heard, it was harder to get a Marvel #1 than an Action #1 20-30 years ago.

Whatever your opinion of Mitch, there is a reason he paid a record price (above guide) for a mid-grade Action #1 in the early 70s -it WAS the king of books. Just like now, anyone that relies solely on Overstreet for what prices actually are is very out of tune with the market.

Yes, Snyder paid a record price for Marvel #1 in the late 70s that was above what any Action #1 had sold for. He also told me directly that there was no comparable Action #1 available at that point to purchase for price comparison. The Church Marvel #1 was miles better than any other copy known then (and still now) and he paid a commensurate price to get it.

Just as he did a few years later when Chuck finally made the Church Action #1 available (even though Marvel #1 was at that point higher priced in the guide).

Except for the brief time during 89-91 Batmania (which also happened to be when the Allentown Tec 27 was sold), Action #1 has almost always ruled the roost in actual market price, despite what the always accurate Overstreet guide says.

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks! (thumbs u

By the way, when the Marvel #1 Pay copy sold for $350,000 and was the most expensive selling book at that time, and it was nearly a decade later when an Action #1 broke $300K, was that my Marvel centric view? :D