• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 271--why does anybody care about this book?

186 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-1st-app-of-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Movie-HOT-/291184897824?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43cbf8ef20&nma=true&si=LSlrbGpTtd7qgj9p%252FkdayU26xX0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-----

I think the copy I sold here was a little nicer than this one, so it looks like I shorted myself about $100 by not waiting a bit longer. not a big deal.

Yeah...I guess when youve been in the game long enough you have the "sold too early" or "sold too late" as well as the "sold at the perfect time" stories.

And when I think about it, I think I have them even distributed in all 3 buckets.

Another consolation is I got to sell it to a good guy and fellow boardie (the only one Ive actually met in person) right before he had his first baby! And I still dont think he has ever sold the book. I think he bought it to keep in his collection. I wouldn't be upset if he flipped it anyway.

:)

Why the do people keep bringing up TMNT?

Because it's a magazine-sized, black and white comic like Marvel Preview. Why is it wrong making a comparison between the two?

From my perspective, for many reasons - MP7 was a Marvel magazine distributed through the Curtis distribution channels. It was not found in many of the "spinner rack" channels for comics. Distribution of those magazines was more like Vogue or Esquire than it was like a comic. Marvel magazines (and really all magazines) in the late Silver through the entirety of the Bronze Age were not collected by comic collectors. They were not comics because they were not subject to the Comics Code Authority. Their odd size made them undesirable.

TMNT is a creature of an entirely different era. It was distributed directly to comics specialty shops, as a comic book, sat right beside other comics, was marketed directly to comics specialty shops. TMNT is truly a comic book that is an odd size. (It is not the size of a traditional magazine, but it is far closer to that than to comic size.) It is not, never was, and never will be analogous to the Marvel magazines of the 70's

From my perspective, for many reasons - MP7 was a Marvel magazine distributed through the Curtis distribution channels. It was not found in many of the "spinner rack" channels for comics. Distribution of those magazines was more like Vogue or Esquire than it was like a comic. Marvel magazines (and really all magazines) in the late Silver through the entirety of the Bronze Age were not collected by comic collectors. They were not comics because they were not subject to the Comics Code Authority.

Excerpting this: Nonetheless, as much stretched the authors implicitly respected them, especially when doing stories which were placed in the Marvel universe.

Now they would be utter garbage, useless for any age.

Why the do people keep bringing up TMNT?

Because it's a magazine-sized, black and white comic like Marvel Preview. Why is it wrong making a comparison between the two?

From my perspective, for many reasons - MP7 was a Marvel magazine distributed through the Curtis distribution channels. It was not found in many of the "spinner rack" channels for comics. Distribution of those magazines was more like Vogue or Esquire than it was like a comic. Marvel magazines (and really all magazines) in the late Silver through the entirety of the Bronze Age were not collected by comic collectors. They were not comics because they were not subject to the Comics Code Authority. Their odd size made them undesirable.

TMNT is a creature of an entirely different era. It was distributed directly to comics specialty shops, as a comic book, sat right beside other comics, was marketed directly to comics specialty shops. TMNT is truly a comic book that is an odd size. (It is not the size of a traditional magazine, but it is far closer to that than to comic size.) It is not, never was, and never will be analogous to the Marvel magazines of the 70's

Agree with seanfingh on all posts. TMNT #1 is not in the same league as Marvel Preview.

#271 for me all day long, for one don't collect magazines, only collect comics

MP - Rocky name / Hulk - Rocket name

MP - black & White / Hulk - Color

MP - no support cast / Hulk - all support cast introduced

MP - few pages in back story - grainy images / Hulk - full first appearance to me

MP - Marvel continuity (no) / Hulk - (yes)

MP - Magazine size / Hulk - comic size

MP - CGC label (stated as 1st) / HULK - (stated as 1st)

it is pretty clear that it is a very high priced 2nd app.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that point.

And I can see your argument on Marvel Preview not being the same as TMNT, but to me, when I go to buy them as a back issue collector without any historical context, they are still both at their core, oversized black and white comics.

You forgot to add this:

MP7: Considered 1st appearance by Rocket Raccoon's creator / Hulk 271: not so much

The only reason this confusion even exists is because cgc screwed up and mislabeled hulk 271 as rr's first appearance.

it is pretty clear that it is a very high priced 2nd app.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that point.

And I can see your argument on Marvel Preview not being the same as TMNT, but to me, when I go to buy them as a back issue collector without any historical context, they are still both at their core, oversized black and white comics.

I don't really have any problem with this, based on the caveat you put in there. It's just that I think the historical context is of paramount importance in this particular discussion.

Why aren't ppl clamoring for the first comic appearance of Star Lord? Because cgc never labeled a comic as such? Please. :eyeroll:

Because there was never a comic appearance of Star-Lord that was ever, under any circumstances, considered his first appearance. Thank you. :eyeroll:

Why aren't ppl clamoring for the first comic appearance of Star Lord? Because cgc never labeled a comic as such? Please. :eyeroll:

Because there was never a comic appearance of Star-Lord that was ever, under any circumstances, considered his first appearance. Thank you. :eyeroll:

But he appeared in comic format for the first time at some point right? Marvel Feature 6? (shrug)

But he appeared in comic format for the first time at some point right? Marvel Feature 6? (shrug)

Sure. But the only reason IH 271 has any buzz is because the market - mistakenly - treated IH 271 as a first appearance. There was no corresponding mistake with Star-Lord. Regardless of the market's historic distaste for magazines, once the spec buzz started on the GoG, it was well known that MP4 was the first appearance. 1st app is where the money goes. There was never a comic that was ever confused as Star-Lord's first appearance, so there was never a comic that heated up.

Marvel Spotlight (Vol. 2) #6

From my perspective, for many reasons - MP7 was a Marvel magazine distributed through the Curtis distribution channels. It was not found in many of the "spinner rack" channels for comics. Distribution of those magazines was more like Vogue or Esquire than it was like a comic. Marvel magazines (and really all magazines) in the late Silver through the entirety of the Bronze Age were not collected by comic collectors. They were not comics because they were not subject to the Comics Code Authority.

Excerpting this: Nonetheless, as much stretched the authors implicitly respected them, especially when doing stories which were placed in the Marvel universe.

Now they would be utter garbage, useless for any age.

Please translate this into English.

The Marvel magazines of that era were often printing stuff vastly superior to the comics.

Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, etc. weren't also collected by comic fans big time? (I will accept that Heavy Metal may not have had as much overlap as the Warren titles)

Hulk collectors didn't collect the hulk magazine?

Conan collectors didn't collect Savage Sword?

Collectors didn't jump on Savage Tales for the Adams art and what not?

X-Men fans didn't buy the X-Men Bizarre Adventures issue?

Comic fans didn't jump over the Neal Adams/Frank Miller Elektra Bizarre Adventures?

I don't buy into this. My comic shop had the magazines on a rack. Some collectors didn't collect them, obviously, from this thread.