• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kong: Skull Island (3/10/17)
2 2

150 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, piper said:

Anyone see it yet? We plan on going tonight!

Looking forward to your review. From everything thus far - including early reviews, it sounds even better than Peter Jackson's film.

:popcorn:

Saw it tonight. Unfortunately due to Fandango's incompetence I watched it in 3D. Which I hate. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. A totally different take on previous King Kong movies. I  really liked John Reilly's character.  For a two hour movie it went fast. 

I'll provide my review tomorrow, but in the meantime, suffice it to say, that the movie was an excellent Monster film! It puts all those Godzilla,King Kong type movies to shame.

A surprising amount of back story...

More to follow tomorrow...

Kong: Skull Island Is Weekend Box Office King!

The science-fiction movie, which resurrected King Kong, is tracking higher than originally anticipated for an estimated $54 million debut. The ape movie essentially moved most of last week’s box office positions down one spot. Taking second place this week is last weekend’s winner, Logan, starring Hugh Jackman is his final stand-alone Wolverine movie. The film is slated to earn around $36 million.

http://www.gossipcop.com/kong-skull-island-box-office-king/

I saw it Friday night and LOVED it! I invited my brother who didnt even want to see it, but he ended up liking it just as much as I did.

I recommend tossing out any expectations for good story and character development.  John C Reiley's character was the only one I cared about. 

Overall, If you want to see a good monster movie with tons of action, then you will enjoy it! 

Btw, be sure to stick around for the credit scene!

Edited by Darkowl

20 hours ago, wombat said:

Saw it tonight. Unfortunately due to Fandango's incompetence I watched it in 3D. Which I hate. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. A totally different take on previous King Kong movies. I  really liked John Reilly's character.  For a two hour movie it went fast. 

Fandango did the same thing to me. I selected the 4 PM showing and purchased the tickets. When I get there it says our showing was at 10:00 AM. I purchased the tickets after 10:00 AM, so that was not a mix up on my end. Overall I like the movie as it did bring back to the feel of the old Monster movies.

I'm still surprised how much I enjoyed the film. It won't win any Oscars but I think everyone involved with the film were aligned in their vision of a classic monster film.

What sets it apart?

In my opinion, I think there are a few things that set it apart:

- Casting

- Focus on Kong

- Solid Soundtrack

- Simple, effective backstory

- Comedy relief from John Reilly

Thanks for the 

2 hours ago, piper said:

I'm still surprised how much I enjoyed the film. It won't win any Oscars but I think everyone involved with the film were aligned in their vision of a classic monster film.

What sets it apart?

In my opinion, I think there are a few things that set it apart:

- Casting

- Focus on Kong

- Solid Soundtrack

- Simple, effective backstory

- Comedy relief from John Reilly

Thanks for the review. I plan on seeing it next week.

Looking forward to it.

Solid movie. There is no hiding Kong in this movie like what they did with Godzilla back in 2014. Only issue is that there are entirely too many characters considering the length of the movie. Characters that aren't meant to be dead meat, but due to time constraints aren't given enough backstory and character development and as a result are stuck in that category. Despite not dying and not being played by unknown actors. 

I thought Kong was horrible. After what start out looking like a regal and classy movie it quickly spiraled into another B movie that I will never watch again.

The only redeeming quality in the movie that I took away from the film was Kong himself. He looked terrific and moved well. But outside of that the complaints are many.

The story is a little hokey. It could have been better done with a few less characters to worry about, less distractions, better dialogue, better writing, less plot gimmicks.

The main opposing creature was silly.

I think we see too much of Kong and that the director was interested in showing Kong off more than the quality of the story telling.

The soundtrack was OK.

I thought that the last Godzilla was much better done over all (although I would have liked to have seen Godzilla more, just as I said when I first watched it a couple of years ago).

I hope upcoming movies are of better over all quality.

This movie really didn't meet the same classy bench marks that the other Kong movies made.

The only other thing I enjoyed about the movie was the time piece and how well that was done.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:08 AM, Jordysnordy said:

Saw it with my 12 year old and we both really liked it. Having seen all the other incarnations of King Kong, this one had a different take on things which was refreshing.

Agreed on the different take. I liked the WW II/Vietnam aspect and the Monarch part. I got a little bored during the second half but that happens a lot in movies like this.

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Agreed on the different take. I liked the WW II/Vietnam aspect and the Monarch part. I got a little bored during the second half but that happens a lot in movies like this.

The Vietnam aspect reallly helped me like the movie!

I saw it last nigh with my wife and we both really enjoyed it.  It definitely was not picture of the year and Samual Jackson got annoying but overall it flowed very well and the fight scenes were spectacular on the big screen.  I actually liked it better then Logan.  Kong is king!

Wow I really liked this movie-they did a great job scripting and made Kong the good guy.   When you can make the audience care about a character that doesn't speak you've done a good job indeed.  And yes I like a movie others here liked-despite accusations of trolling about Logan.  If I like a movie, I say so-I don't have some idiotic hidden agenda to tick people off! @FlyingDonut

Edited by kav