• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con - Geeks for consent

62 posts in this topic

As you saw last year from my NYCC Thread

Ask permission before you take anyone's photograph. (Unless taking a pic of a security guard that you just annoyed by pointing out that he is dressed like Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince.)

The above rule DEFINITELY applies to taking pictures of kids.

Tell people that their costume is pretty cool. They appreciate it and always thank them for their time.

The Uncle Phil pic still makes me giggle like a fool

IMG_4905.jpg

I've only gone to the Boston Comic Cons, so cosplay isn't as huge there yet. There are some great costumes both men and women, but I can't understand why someone would feel they have the right to grope or molest another person.

There are always attractive women at a beach, but you don't see them getting groped there, why do they feel they can do it at a con? That's nuts.

Makes sense that when you're shoulder-to-shoulder, squeezing through a crowd, you could grope someone without them knowing who it was, but who does that? How lame and sad and worthless must you be?

I wonder, does the comic con experience embolden the antisocial perverts in the comic community, or does cosplay attract a whole new audience? Society already has too many creeps who like little girls in short skirts, wouldn't be hard for them to buy a ticket :(

Just cause she's dressed like a slut doesn't mean its ok to treat her like one.

If you Cosplay, you are kind of asking for it, kind of like making a Youtube video of yourself then complaining people are calling you ugly.

Doesn't make it right but it'll never stop either.

If you Cosplay, you are kind of asking for it, kind of like making a Youtube video of yourself then complaining people are calling you ugly.

So much I can't say because of the filter. That's a load of .

If someone can't control their urges doesn't mean that the woman was "asking for it". Nobody "asks for it". So stop that dumb BS.

If someone can't control their urges doesn't mean that the woman was "asking for it". Nobody "asks for it". So stop that dumb BS.

+1 Amazing, almost a whole day goes by and only one person has the balls to call out this BS comment.

Please do not misconstrue what I'm about to say, Nobody should be harassed in ANY manner for ANY reason. It's always unacceptable, period.

So i too think that the "asking for it" part is BS. I will however point out that there should be some discretion exercised as well.

Your proud of your body and want to show off, fine, you like Black Cat and she dresses provocatively, that's fine too. Yet there is still something left to be said about discretion and judgement.

There is a line between a "sexy" character and a "slutty" character. Again, the asking for it part is complete bs, 100% agreement, but if you dress like a "slutty" character at a place where the crowd is stereotypically under sexed geeks who like over sexed characters, your not helping the situation either.

Does that mean they're asking for it? Absolutely not, but there is a difference between parking your nice car in the shady part of town wearing your nice clothes, and parking in the shady part of town with the keys in the ignition, walking down the street counting you money out loud.

Your never asking for it, but in one of the aforementioned scenarios you certainly aren't doing your part to mitigate the variables.

I'm am not saying the victims deserve any fraction of the blame under ANY circumstance, they absolutely do not. I am saying don't throw gasoline onto the fire.

+1 Amazing, almost a whole day goes by and only one person has the balls to call out this BS comment.

It was Kevin. Par for the course. He probably said it to people off.

So what mainstream female characters would not be in the "slutty" category?

Having to ask that question at all kind of says a lot about the industry.

The new Ms Marvel.

Saw a few people dressing up as her. I think she's a great character just because of that. In the end, its up to the person, and most people still prefer to wear extremely revealing outfits.

3575829-4959082713-MSMAR.jpg

So what mainstream female characters would not be in the "slutty" category?

Having to ask that question at all kind of says a lot about the industry.

The new Ms Marvel.

Saw a few people dressing up as her. I think she's a great character just because of that. In the end, its up to the person, and most people still prefer to wear extremely revealing outfits.

3575829-4959082713-MSMAR.jpg

Are you actually enjoying the book. I grabbed the first two issues and had high hopes, but it just didn't do anything for me…

Please do not misconstrue what I'm about to say, Nobody should be harassed in ANY manner for ANY reason. It's always unacceptable, period.

So i too think that the "asking for it" part is BS. I will however point out that there should be some discretion exercised as well.

Your proud of your body and want to show off, fine, you like Black Cat and she dresses provocatively, that's fine too. Yet there is still something left to be said about discretion and judgement.

There is a line between a "sexy" character and a "slutty" character. Again, the asking for it part is complete bs, 100% agreement, but if you dress like a "slutty" character at a place where the crowd is stereotypically under sexed geeks who like over sexed characters, your not helping the situation either.

Does that mean they're asking for it? Absolutely not, but there is a difference between parking your nice car in the shady part of town wearing your nice clothes, and parking in the shady part of town with the keys in the ignition, walking down the street counting you money out loud.

Your never asking for it, but in one of the aforementioned scenarios you certainly aren't doing your part to mitigate the variables.

I'm am not saying the victims deserve any fraction of the blame under ANY circumstance, they absolutely do not. I am saying don't throw gasoline onto the fire.

That is still putting the onus on the cosplayer. They should make better choices on what they cosplay as? They are fans/models/designers that are doing these things for themselves (for love of the character or forward their career in modeling or costume design). They are not doing it for some d-bag to get handsy or start saying horrible things to them.

It is entirely the violator's fault and problem for assaulting and harassing these women. I also have a hard time believing that it is only the "basement dwellers or socially inept" that are the ones causing a problem. It is coming from all types of men as well as from other women. There was an article about a wife that asked her husband why he wanted to take a picture "with that slut".

I think that it is coming from a part of men's culture that women like being hit on/catcalled regardless of the situation. Some men think that if they see a woman who is attractive then they will appreciate hearing about it. Who cares if it is the middle of the day and she has no idea who they are. So now if they are in a flashy costume then that is a green light for a guy to go hog wild? Complete BS.

If there is a line between sexy and slutty, like dupont2005 said, that is a comment on the industry and how unrealistic the costumes of comic book characters are. There is not, however, a line between being a good person and being an a-hole.

Just saw this article. Is this a big problem at Comic Con and other major cons?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/sexual-harassment-at-comic-con-in-the-spotlight-93048198212.html

Is anybody actually reading the article?

Maybe pause in the knee-jerk attacks and doing backflips to not seem a knuckledragger and check it out?

It's fairly clear from the article it's a small org purposefully exporting their PC BS to Comic-Con for enhanced attention-getting. Go read their specific complaints. It's laughable and borderline absurd what they deem offensive. Basically anything that will turn the spotlight toward themselves.

He's probably on ignore for a lot of people.

Very well thought and written.

Besides this, I never liked cosplay – as a kid I always dressed up as some character (not necessarily comics) during the traditional italian carnevale (a period before Lent) but I always thought the way cosplay became fashionable has something silly to it. I started attending conventions in Italy when I was 14 or so and cosplay was something basically inherited (passively) just in recent (last ten) years. Something that might in some way belong to japanese culture (in its root) but hardly to explain for me when I think of the USA.

I surely would not have been crazy to see adult people dressed as superheroes and superheroines when I went to comics conventions as a kid. lol

A similar thing happened with Halloween, a festivity which has nothing to do with our culture, and has rooted here recently chiefly thanks to commercial speculations.

Very well thought and written.

Besides this, I never liked cosplay – as a kid I always dressed up as some character (not necessarily comics) during the traditional italian carnevale (a period before Lent) but I always thought the way cosplay became fashionable has something silly to it. I started attending conventions in Italy when I was 14 or so and cosplay was something basically inherited (passively) just in recent (last ten) years. Something that might in some way belong to japanese culture (in its root) but hardly to explain for me when I think of the USA.

I surely would not have been crazy to see adult people dressed as superheroes and superheroines when I went to comics conventions as a kid. lol

A similar thing happened with Halloween, a festivity which has nothing to do with our culture, and has rooted here recently chiefly thanks to commercial speculations.

I would like to envision Italian trick or treaters receiving jars of nutella and the mini canoli's in addition to traditional candy. :applause: