• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

Deadpool Movie Review: Hilarious, Action-Packed, Undeniably Deadpool

The Deadpool movie screened in full in New York and Los Angeles Monday night, surprising fans who thought they were getting a few minutes of "first look footage." That resulted in two theaters, one on each coast, full of very happy fans.

And that's because this movie just plain rocks.

:o:o:o

The trailers had me cautiously optimistic. Sure, you can make two minutes at a time seem pretty spot-on with the comic books that it comes from, but could they actually do it for two hours? Luckily, the answer is yes: the trailers in this case are actually very good representations of the film you'll see on the big screen. That means there's lots of action, lots of comedy, and some brutal, brutal violence. There's also a decent bit of nudity and sex (Ryan Reynolds spends a good portion of two entire scenes naked), and one big surprise: heart.

There are some slight alterations to Deadpool's origin here, but it serves the film well. It gives him a streamlined story that will be easier to digest for the general movie-going crowd. The essentials, after all are there: mercenary, cancer, experiment, superpowers. Anything else is just window-dressing.

This is a fun movie, and it just feels oh so Deadpool. Rarely have I seen a comic book movie not just capture a character so well, but add to it, as well. Deadpool is simply what fans have been dying for, and it's clear in every moment that it was made by hardcore fans, too.

Grade: A

:whee::ohnoez::whee:

And it turns out you should stick around for the credits. That's surprising news.

Deadpool After The Credits Scene Confirmed

Of course, after the screenings, some spoilers have started to leak out about the film. One of the big questions about any superhero movie is whether the movie has an after the credits scene. Marvel movies are made by three different studios, so they don't always have after the credits scene. Deadpool is made by 20th Century Fox, which is a studio that sometimes includes and sometimes doesn't include a post-credits scene.

While we won't go into spoilers here, we will tell you that Comicbook.com can confirm that Deadpool does have a post-credits scene. So make sure you don't get up and leave before the credits rolls.

Cable?

:wishluck:

Ryan Reynolds and the fans pushed hard for the R rating so tough squat if little Matthew can't see the movie. If some parents want to take their kids, they will. If some parents are uptight and won't take their kids, that's on them.

Between age 6 and 10 my dad took me to see Blazing Saddles, The Omen, Slap Shot, Animal House and every Dirty Harry movie. Only once did he say, "that's it, we're leaving" and it was Richard Pryor Live On The Sunset Strip about 30 minutes in. Don't know what he was thinking with that one, but I can imagine the questions "Dad, what's a *****?" were too much lol

Ryan Reynolds Says They're Already Talking about Cable and Deadpool Movie

The actor stuck around after the screening (and after the applause died down a bit) to talk about the film, and answer fan questions. Some of those were about the development, some were about specific scenes, and some were about the future of the franchise.

One fan yelled out "Sequel!" and another fan followed-up with "Cable and Deadpool!" and that wound up revealing something from Reynolds.

"Your lips to God's ears, my friend," he said directly to the Cable and Deadpool fan (I swear it wasn't me). "Believe me, that's being talked about." He gave a smile, a nod, and raised his eyebrows as if to emphasize the point.

:whee:

Ryan Reynolds Comments on Deadpool PG-13 Cut Petition

There is a petition to make a PG-13 cut of the film, but it'd be next to impossible, having seen it, to do so. Fox would need to spend millions of dollars redoing entire sequences in visual effects, and dubbing over the dialogue. As it turns out, star Ryan Reynolds, who was also very involved in the writing and production of the movie, agrees.

"I don’t think so," he said when asked if 20th Century Fox would even consider a PG-13 cut of Deadpool. "I mean, you saw it. That would be a very short movie. It’s almost a commercial at that point."

However, he doesn't want fans to get angry with the mother who championed the petition (or others supporting it), hoping she could let her young son see a cut that doesn't have quite as much violence, swearing, and nudity.

"People are ragging on her – I think that’s an awesome mom," Reynolds said. "When I was 8 years old, I wanted to see 9 ½ Weeks, but my mom didn’t make a petition!”

lol

Sounds like someone should have been nicer to their mom.

Ryan Reynolds Says Deadpool is an 11 Year Dream Come True

While many fans know that Deadpool has been a long time coming, they may not know just how long. Actor Ryan Reynolds originally signed on for a Deadpool film in 2004. Since then, the film has gone up and down the 20th Century Fox ladder, until it was all-but dead.

"For me, this is 11-years-of-a-dream come true," Reynolds told fans at a surprise early screening of the film in NYC. "Every single second I got to spend making this movie, being a part of it, wearing the makeup, wearing the suit – all that that is usually kind of aggravating, it was – I couldn’t complain for a second of it."

That's some dedication on the part of Ryan Reynolds in riding this rollercoaster all the way through to the end.

Stan Lee Says Deadpool Movie Was His Favorite Cameo

:o

Lee's cameo is hilarious, and as revealed at Comic-Con, takes place in an... unexpected venue (won't spoil it here). When he was asked which cameo, out of all his movies, has been his favorite, Lee answered quickly, and in signature Stan The Man fashion.

"This one! I'm not so dumb," he said with a laugh.

The godfather of Marvel Comics also joked during the Q&A the the movie "didn't go far enough" when it came to certain aspects. What did he want to see?

"More nakedness!" the creator joked. He also would've liked a "bigger cameo."

lol

Sounds more like the answer you give at each movie screening.

'Which movie is your all-time favorite?' 'This one!'

Rob Liefeld Says Deadpool Movie Is Best Version Of Deadpool He Has Ever Experienced

This is my second time seeing it and it was even better than the first time," Liefeld told fans at a surprise Deadpool screening in Los Angeles. "That sounds like something Deadpool would say. But, here’s the deal: twenty-five years worth of Deadpool. This movie comes out twenty-five years to the day we published him at Marvel and you couldn’t get a better gift if you’re a Deadpool fan and I have seen twenty-five years of stories come and go - and Rhett [Reese] and Paul [Wernick] will tell you - back in 2009 I freaked out when I read the screenplay because Deadpool has never ever been better than he was in that screenplay and when I saw this movie six weeks ago I was like, 'How much of this -script will carry?' and what you just saw is the best version of Deadpool I have ever experienced in my life."

Deadpool Movie Director Talks About Cut Scenes

"There was a bunch of stuff, honestly," that Miller had to cut out of the film. One fight has "an extended version [with] a couple more beats of violence there that I liked," he said. "There's also a bar scene that had to be cut down - because Ryan Reynolds and T.J. Miller are vulgar, vulgar people."

"We did kind of go back and forth and it just got more and more hateful," T.J. Miller admitted. "Ryan's a very, very good improvisor, and he's very funny and, like, one of the sweetest guys. It was very... heavy duty."

"There were some riffs that I don't think - 'You look like a trucker took a :censored: on your shoulders and then shaped ears onto it,' " the actor said with a laugh. "So it's like, we're missing some of those things."

"It was a little worse than that," the director Miller said, "He's being gentle."

Wow!

Good Lord! They're already tracking this.

Deadpool Early Box Office Estimates Tracking Strong

Box Office tracking estimates start about 3 weeks before release, which means Deadpool hit the mark today. After overwhelmingly positive fan reaction at two surprise screenings, it's coming in nicely, between a $55 million to $60 million opening weekend.

The film will go up against Zoolander 2 on the weekend, host to both Valentine's Day on Sunday and Presidents Day the following Monday.

I was leaning towards $45 to $50 MM, just to be safe.