• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it time to stop collecting?

69 posts in this topic

When they throw the dirt over me.

(thumbs u

And even then I will start a new collection...

I will start a fund that will make sure my pull list will be send to me long after I am gone.

They are going to wire digital comics to your corpse?

I have instructed my wife in my living trust to talk with a select group of board members to liquidate my collection after I'm gone.These board members are ones I trust to not take advantage of her.

Oh, that question ... yeah, this does cross my mind more than a few times. But presently I am enjoying so much with my comics here. That will be a good long time!

Until when the new comics have gone into high prices by monthly, or when ALL had gone become digital ( I can still read but will miss the feeling of paper in hand!). I'll still have my current collection to re-read (tradebacks or volumes, that is) Or until my hands had gone frozen dead from turning the pages over, my eyes stopped its vision. That's when my time is up.

On the other hand, if I know when I need medicinal assist, personal assist by old age. I'll sell most of my collection and keep some few volumes to read again.

Comic books are only materials, can't take them with me in the afterlife. But I will have enjoyed all the great moments from the past to end with these comics I discovered from the beginning. That is enough for me. 2c

I have instructed my wife in my living trust to talk with a select group of board members to liquidate my collection after I'm gone.These board members are ones I trust to not take advantage of her.

Very good idea. I'm also planning something along those lines...

As for the original question...I enjoy thinking of my collecting efforts as somewhat being those of a curator...you know, as if I'm acquiring and conserving valuable historical artifacts...I suppose that I won't stop as long as I view things in that light, because that work is never finished...

For thirty plus years, my intentions were always to liquidate everything starting at age 55, and use the money to enjoy my life. When I turned 55, I discovered I pretty much had everything I wanted and didn't see the point in selling just to sell. I did sell a bunch of artwork and coins I had no interest in, and have consolidated my collections tremendously, but have no plans to quit buying something if it catches my fancy. Timely and Nedor Schomburgs are in my sweet zone right now. A vintage Montego is up next if I find one at a good price.

For thirty plus years, my intentions were always to liquidate everything starting at age 55, and use the money to enjoy my life. When I turned 55, I discovered I pretty much had everything I wanted and didn't see the point in selling just to sell. I did sell a bunch of artwork and coins I had no interest in, and have consolidated my collections tremendously, but have no plans to quit buying something if it catches my fancy. Timely and Nedor Schomburgs are in my sweet zone right now. A vintage Montego is up next if I find one at a good price.

Every year I get closer and closer to selling off 1/8 of everything I own from books and old CDs to comics and other collectibles. The last time I did it, I used the money to buy a grail book and pay off lingering student loans.

I told my wife when she asked 'What are you going to do with this stuff when you're gone ?"....

I told her I was going to have it all thrown in the casket with me. I will be down there a long time....I'm going to need something to read :whatev:

I told my wife when she asked 'What are you going to do with this stuff when you're gone ?"....

I told her I was going to have it all thrown in the casket with me. I will be down there a long time....I'm going to need something to read :whatev:

:signfunny:

In my younger days, I could not envision a time when I would sell.

In my not so younger days, I cannot envision holding on to 70+ long and short boxes once I hit retirement age. My plan is to eventually sell off most of my collection well before retirement. I will keep stuff I still want to read and also the few keys that I have that will fetch good money when I do decide to sell them.

I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking I've had enough of this hobby, and its time to dump most of my books. And like Jeffro, there's a few things I'll keep.

When it no longer makes you happy. Very simple.... But, be warned just like a relationship your relationship with your collection requires some emotional work and maintenance. For me, sharing my love of comic books with my son helps to fuel the hobby. As well as finding new ways to explore the hobby through different focuses or trends that excite you. I found foreigns, and it drove me deeper where I thought I might be losing steam a few years ago.

For me, sharing my love of comic books with my son helps to fuel the hobby.

I've been able to do this with a few kids. One of my younger cousins is pretty big into comics. He has transitioned to mostly digital. I also gifted comics to a nephew and a neighbor's son.

It's nice when comics "sticks" with a kid. However, overall it feels like a losing battle. I also tried to get a couple other younger cousins into comics but they didn't take. Hoping to have better luck with my daughter.

I don't care what you collect. Books, statues, cards, coins, or tattoos. What age is it time to stop?

I mean, are you going to be buying comic books for your collection when you are 88?

I know that each of us makes that type of decision based on our own desires and circumstances. Duh. But today, when do you think it will be right FOR YOU to stop?

“You can never get enough of what you don't need, because what you don't need won't satisfy you.”

― Dallin H. Oaks

I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking I've had enough of this hobby, and its time to dump most of my books. And like Jeffro, there's a few things I'll keep.

Sorry, speaking from experience, I don't believe you. Once you attempt to isolate the 'few things' you would like to keep you will see it's not easy.

Sorry, speaking from experience, I don't believe you. Once you attempt to isolate the 'few things' you would like to keep you will see it's not easy.

Or you'll be like me, you get rid of everything and then after some years, through some sort of coincidence, you get back in the hbooy, only to learn that you had some real gems which are not so easy to replace :cry: