• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Con 2014 Gathering

74 posts in this topic

Amidst the zoo that is the San Diego Con, there is one little oasis of peace and comics that I look forward to every year: the gathering of collectors at RareHighGrades.

The gracious host and family open their house to a hungry horde of nerdy collectors who chow down on pizza and homeade treats ( thanks, Mrs RHG (worship) ) and look at comics.

The pictures for this year are a joint effort of GAtor's camera and my picture taking as I had inadvertently left mine at home. For the record, I blame all bad pics on my unfamiliarity with camera. :P

Collectors Assemble!

GeekFest2014_01.jpg

Herr Doktor, the Professor Love was a new participant this year and started off the session with a sweet set of romance books including the very first, Young Romance.

GeekFest2014_02.jpg

Sorry for the out of focus shot. :sorry:

The fastest guy in the room, Inaflash, shared a diverse set of killer books.

GeekFest2014_19.jpg

GeekFest2014_05.jpg

GeekFest2014_06.jpg

ciorac overwhelmed the Boards a week ago with the results of his pre and post San Diego prospecting. His comic purchases were even more impressive in person.

The red on this Bats 1 was outstanding!

GeekFest2014_04.jpg

GeekFest2014_03.jpg

Technically comick1's books were Silver Age but every single one was a greytone. In high grade. Or even uber high grade. :o So it was all good. :cool:

GeekFest2014_14.jpg

GeekFest2014_15.jpg

GeekFest2014_16.jpg

GAtor's shared highlights of his quest to collect every Centaur by bringing a number of issues from his now complete Amazing Man run that includes impossible to find 26.

GeekFest2014_10.jpg

GeekFest2014_09.jpg

Our friendly feline Cat, brought a treasure trove of Timelys.

GeekFest2014_11.jpg

nearmint has been on a tear hunting down Superman comics and holds up two of his biggest kills!

GeekFest2014_12.jpg

MrB shook things up this year and brought a potpourri of promotional comics and items.

As if the comics are scarce enough, this in Ad for the for the anti-commie comics from Catechetical Guild

GeekFest2014_08.jpg

GeekFest2014_07.jpg

RareHighGrade brought out the big guns as we looked early Jumbos and DCs. These guys are the size of place mats! :o

GeekFest2014_17.jpg

GeekFest2014_18.jpg

Special thanks are due to Harley Yee who loaned us the binder of covers that were from the files of Josette Franks, an early advisor to DC comics. See pictures here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7927507&fpart=1

That's all for this year.

Thanks again, Alan..... love this thread each year. Nice to be able to match faces ...... and those SA Gray Tones can hold their own at any gathering...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

[..] love this thread each year. Nice to be able to match faces ...... and those SA Gray Tones can hold their own at any gathering.... [...]

Same here. Thanks to adamstrange, I was lucky enough to get to see many of Inaflash's books a couple of years ago; he has the most amazing eye for stunning high grade books from both the Gold and Silver ages. I learned to appreciate just how beautiful Silver Age DCs can be that day. I've also heard much about comick1's collection from friends and his pickings must have been a treat.

always my favorite gathering at sdcc each year....

and next year, I get to swim!

:eek:

Fatty-Arbuckle-calls-for-help.jpg

lol

Babe Ruth-Gator?

Gator Arbuckle ;)

.... we need to get someone to hook Gator up with some Amazing Man swimmin' trunks.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u