• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED - Thread has de-railed!!

1,110 posts in this topic

Let's boil it down to its essence:

Tranny: "Will you take this much?"

Dan: "No, but I will take this much."

Tranny: "Done."

Deal done.

Dan agreed to it. Tranny agreed to it. It was a done deal.

Then, because someone else came along and posted in the thread, Dan changed his mind about the "doneness" of the deal. This is where his contradiction sits. He contradicted himself, first by doing the deal, then by UNdoing the deal.

This is a contradiction.

Had roulette not come along, there still would have been a sale. If Tranny had posted the take it emoticon before roulette, the book would be his.

Now, I'm not suggesting Dan has any selfish or greedy motives. I'm simply saying that he didn't follow his rule, by ACCEPTING AN OFFER before all the conditions were met, conditions he, himself, laid out. Tranny didn't meet the ORIGINAL terms...Dan should not have accepted the offer (by virtue of a counter) until he did.

Does that make sense...?

hm

Following your template:

Tranny: will you take this much

Dan: no I'll take this much

You're assuming Dan knew the next PM was I'll take it, when it could have been more haggling or a no thank you. He did say he hadn't read the PM until after the buyer popped the BIN in the thread.

My apologies to the folks that want to actually change the selling rules. It's been debated since I got here and I'm all for it. Although, getting people to agree on them is the hard part.

With this group, I would say getting people to agree is impossible.

I disagree. I think a majority would agree to some set of rules that seem reasonable and easy to follow. They already do.

And the rules would be like any rule book - you never need to consult it unless there is a disagreement. In that case, it would be relatively easy (or easier) to see what happened.

Most people seem to be in favor of a timestamp rule, whether via PM or in a thread.

When I first got here this is the way it was, at least as I understood it. Things have really strayed in the past year or so, really time to reel things in.

Things have changed in the past year because this place is like a floodgate now with lots of new users. Nothing wrong with new people but it changes the dynamics of the way things used to be.

Anyhow, I'm not going to really debate this thread anymore. Put me down for a timestamp rule if we head that route.

I think the time stamp should be King. If it is not, why entertain offers via PM.

+1

This accords with my understanding of contract law too. Once acceptance of an offer has been communicated (even if unread in some circumstances) a contract has been formed.

I've never really liked the time stamp but I can see how it could only help in cases like this. The only issue I see is privacy. Can you edit out the buyer?

You can.

You can also send yourself a PM... buying the book... and editing your name out too. (shrug)

I'm such a noob. You guys know all the tricks.

You could literally state that a boardie called you on the phone at 8:35pm and bought the book.

How can you prove that you ask?

Why just take a picture of the clock ;)

PLEASE....

Someone break out some memes. This Friday thread is so boring. :blahblah: oh yeah... :blahblah: ... I'll see your :blahblah: and raise you some :blahblah:

zzz

You know, you posted thousands of words against Symbiotic, in multiple times, and in multiple places...and rightfully so....and no one came along and said "blah blah blah blah blah shut up already, this is so boring blah blah blah" just because they disagreed with you about it.

And I know people disagreed with you about it, because we discussed it. And no one badmouthed you in the process, they simply didn't agree with the actions being taken, which included yours.

So why this....?

What positive contribution to the boards does this make...?

If you don't like a thread, why post in it...? And why post disrespectfully of those who take this subject seriously...?

Exposing a repeat shiller who was scamming members and creating multiple shill accounts. Oh, and drafting a lengthy, time intensive HOS nomination including links to preserve the record for the future.

Arguing with multiple people that your point is right while the opinion of others is wrong and having the inability to just say "agree to disagree".

:juggle:

I didn't even mention you specifically. I meant everyone. :sorry: I was just trying to make light of a situation that no one can change and nothing will come out of this. You admitted that you missed the Tuffy situation so I'm going to just assume you missed the discussion taking place over several days discussing this very issue - and it went no where. (shrug)

I've never really liked the time stamp but I can see how it could only help in cases like this. The only issue I see is privacy. Can you edit out the buyer?

You can.

You can also send yourself a PM... buying the book... and editing your name out too. (shrug)

You could literally state that a boardie called you on the phone at 8:35pm and bought the book.

I think that is an unavoidable aspect of negotiations you will always have. Once you have offer and acceptance a deal is made. That should take priority over any subsequent deals even if it is hard to prove you did have a prior contract.

You can.

I think you'd have to include a newspaper with the current date as well for the skeptics.

Deal done.

Then, because someone else came along and posted in the thread, Dan changed his mind about the "doneness" of the deal. This is where his contradiction sits. He contradicted himself, first by doing the deal, then by UNdoing the deal.

This is a contradiction.

Had roulette not come along, there still would have been a sale. If Tranny had posted the take it emoticon before roulette, the book would be his.

Now, I'm not suggesting Dan has any selfish or greedy motives. I'm simply saying that he didn't follow his rule, by ACCEPTING AN OFFER before all the conditions were met, conditions he, himself, laid out. Tranny didn't meet the ORIGINAL terms...Dan should not have accepted the offer (by virtue of a counter) until he did.

Does that make sense...?

hm

Following your template:

You're assuming Dan knew the next PM was I'll take it, when it could have been more haggling or a no thank you. He did say he hadn't read the PM until after the buyer popped the BIN in the thread.

Doesn't matter if Dan read it or not, because the PM is timestamped. Once Dan made the counter, he was committed to it. He was saying "if you accept this price, we have a deal." Tranny accepted it, BEFORE roulette posted. Deal done.

Deal done.

This is a contradiction.

Does that make sense...?

hm

Following your template:

Doesn't matter if Dan read it or not, because the PM is timestamped. Once Dan made the counter, he was committed to it. He was saying "if you accept this price, we have a deal." Tranny accepted it. Deal done.

+1

see the postal acceptance rule for examples on how this works. Not sure if it has been extended to electronic communication in the states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_rule

You can.

I think you'd have to include a newspaper with the current date as well for the skeptics.

Dr Balls can print you up any edition with any date you need ;)

Skeptics will always be skeptical.

It wouldn't matter if you had a picture of Tom Cruise buying your AF #15... someone would say it was Ben Stiller.

One needs to realize that the higher up the seller chain one gets on these boards... the more the "rules" apply less and less to them.

I hate the idea of more rules as much as the next guy... mainly because no matter what those rules end up being... some will be able to override them.

This whole thing is BS. I pray that the next time one of you fools are running a sales thread someone REALLY wants to buy a book, but has terms they have to work with. Then before they negotiate realize it could just be a huge waste of time, because even though they can have a negotiated deal, the seller can back out due to stipulation. I will say this again. They had a deal that was mutually agreed upon, sales thread rules be damned. Dan backed put of the deal, end of story. And last I checked he has to follow through with the deal, or he can go on the probation list. If he was going to pull this, he needs to state that he is unwilling to negotiate, being as even though he created terms and they were accepted, he did not honor his deal, even though the terms were agreed upon BEFORE anyone posted the takeit in the thread. Saying he didn't read it first is BS. You are selling a 3k book, which you sent over terms for and didn't read the pm? Right.

This.

lol

PLEASE....

Someone break out some memes. This Friday thread is so boring. :blahblah: oh yeah... :blahblah: ... I'll see your :blahblah: and raise you some :blahblah:

zzz

You know, you posted thousands of words against Symbiotic, in multiple times, and in multiple places...and rightfully so....and no one came along and said "blah blah blah blah blah shut up already, this is so boring blah blah blah" just because they disagreed with you about it.

And I know people disagreed with you about it, because we discussed it. And no one badmouthed you in the process, they simply didn't agree with the actions being taken, which included yours.

So why this....?

If you don't like a thread, why post in it...? And why post disrespectfully of those who take this subject seriously...?

Exposing a repeat shiller who was scamming members and creating multiple shill accounts. Oh, and drafting a lengthy, time intensive HOS nomination including links to preserve the record for the future.

Arguing with multiple people that your point is right while others is wrong and having the inability to just say "agree to disagree".

I didn't even mention you specifically. I meant everyone. :sorry: I was just trying to make light of a situation that no one can change and nothing will come out of this. You admitted that you missed the Tuffy situation so I'm going to just assume you missed the discussion taking place over several days discussing this very issue - and it went no where. (shrug)

I wasn't talking about me specifically. I was talking about everyone.

It doesn't matter what your reasoning is, and if the two situations aren't comparable, in your opinion...people didn't agree with you. They did not, however, speak disrespectfully to you about it, telling you to move on, stop being boring, and make with the memes already. And they did not say "you just think you're right and others are wrong, and can't agree to disagree."

You thought you were right. Others thought you were wrong. Does the amount of people who think you were right make it so...?

Just because it's been discussed before, with no apparent fruitfulness, means it's never going to...?

Deal done.

This is a contradiction.

Does that make sense...?

hm

Following your template:

Doesn't matter if Dan read it or not, because the PM is timestamped. Once Dan made the counter, he was committed to it. He was saying "if you accept this price, we have a deal." Tranny accepted it, BEFORE roulette posted. Deal done.

I guess in my mind there has always been a step after what you're describing.

Where if I offer a price, you agree, I aknowledge the sale

Though I guess that doesn't conform to the letter of the law.

Why even waste time posting an apology to a first world problem?

Boo~Hoo, I didn't get a comic book in a loosely-based sales area.

Don't feel bad if you sold it to someone else.

The other person will, and can, find another comic book to be sour about or pound their chest over.

It's laughable to see how internet-centric a person can become.

Easy resolution, open your front door and walk outside and then proceed to talk to a real life person in front of you.

PLEASE....

zzz

So why this....?

Arguing with multiple people that your point is right while others is wrong and having the inability to just say "agree to disagree".

I wasn't talking about me specifically. I was talking about everyone.

It doesn't matter what your reasoning is, and if the two situations aren't comparable, in your opinion...people didn't agree with you. They did not, however, speak disrespectfully to you about it, telling you to move on, stop being boring, and make with the memes already. And they did not say "you just think you're right and others are wrong, and can't agree to disagree."

You thought you were right. Others thought you were wrong. Does the amount of people who think you were right make it so...?

Just because it's been discussed before, with no apparent fruitfulness, means it's never going to...?

You're right. I'm sorry. :foryou:

Deal done.

This is a contradiction.

Does that make sense...?

hm

Following your template:

I guess in my mind there has always been a step after what you're describing.

Where if I offer a price, you agree, I aknowledge the sale

Though I guess that doesn't conform to the letter of the law.

No, because in the eyes of the law, you already acknowledged the sale by saying "this sale is a done deal if you will accept this price, without further negotiation." And Tranny did.

:shrug:

Why even waste time posting an apology to a first world problem?

Boo~Hoo, I didn't get a comic book in a loosely-based sales area.

Don't feel bad if you sold it to someone else.

The other person will, and can, find another comic book to be sour about or pound their chest over.

It's laughable to see how internet-centric a person can become.

Easy resolution, open your front door and walk outside and then proceed to talk to a real life person in front of you.

Damn straight!

Who do these people think they are, talking about honor and ethics, and that how we handle the little things determines how we handle the big things??

Waste of time!

:sumo: