• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED - Thread has de-railed!!

1,110 posts in this topic

Since this abomination is still going on here's a simple question:

Who posted the :takeit: first, Mike in PM or the buyer in the thread?

If the buyer in the thread posted first by time stamp then it's his book. If Mike posted first in PM it should be his book.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. (shrug)

Transplant didn't post an actual "take it" in the PM. However, Dan responded to an offer with his terms and Transplant responded ok before the "take it" in the thread was posted.

Time stamps don't lie, I'm not sure why the rule can't simply be whoever takes it first, by time stamp in PM or in the thread, wins it.

People should have the right to not make their purchases public yet still have their deals honored.

That "can" be the rule if that's how the seller chooses to craft his listing.

In "this" case the seller stated first I'll take it in thread trumps "ALL PM's". If the first buyer didn't like those terms he could have passed on the book.

-J.

This thread has all the elements of a perfect storm all coming together at once

I had a lady pull a u-turn illegally on me. I ran right in to her because she was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and I have a huge scar on my head. My truck has never been the same either.

I don't have sympathy for people who make random u-turns.

Not that your story has anything to do with this thread but my u-turn wasn't random - it was like 2 AM and there wasn't another car on the road.

And u-turns are legal in many areas. (thumbs u

I'm sure the lady thought no one was around too. It was why she suddenly whipped a u-turn at 6:30 in the morning with no warning.

And yes they are legal in many areas. All she had to do was drive a block down the road and she could have made a legal u turn.

Sorry I'm still bitter about the huge scar on my head. If I go bald it'll be bad. My daughter says it is like Harry Potter.

Hey, I'm sorry about your accident and can relate from experience but is this where I vent about how little old ladies drive?

Yes please do.

I had a bunch of mess stolen from my truck too. If you're ever bleeding profusely from your head make sure you grab everything in your vehicle because the cops are taking anything that looks valuable.

Are you saying that the cops stole the stuff out of your vehicle?? :o

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I unfortunately got in an accident right as I crossed the line in to the city. Thus my truck was handled by BPD and then the one tow truck driver.

The thing that pissed me off was that the police department didn't give a mess. All they had to do was find out who the tow truck driver was and they could have questioned him.

There was a huge scandal in Baltimore City concerning the police and tow truck companies around the same time too. They were apparently getting a kick back from the tow truck companies for using the same ones over and over.

If the buyer in the thread posted first by time stamp then it's his book. If Mike posted first in PM it should be his book.

Seller used rules similar to Rupp's where the "take it in the thread trumps all PMs"

Time stamp favoured PM buyer, "in the thread" got the book.

If Mike agreed to the terms and said he would take the book and the time stamp occurred prior to the buyer's in the thread, then the seller is not conducting good business.

Simply referring back to a rule in the thread to circumvent a deal is not cool.

It's messy & unfortunate either way...I just can't see how you can post that rule and not give it to the guy in the thread?

Seller used rules similar to Rupp's where the "take it in the thread trumps all PMs"

If Mike agreed to the terms and said he would take the book and the time stamp occurred prior to the buyer's in the thread, then the seller is not conducting good business.

Why is expecting the prospective buyer to adhere to the rules of the listing "uncool"? Why should a seller place any rules if they mean nothing? This is baffling to me.

-J.

I find it baffling too. If the seller posted 'the first one that comes to my house to rub my tummy trumps everything' then nobody would have won the book. :insane:

I think some people don't either agree with or believe Dan's intentions on why that rule was in place.

It's baffling that sellers use this rule, as well.

I had a lady pull a u-turn illegally on me. I ran right in to her because she was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and I have a huge scar on my head. My truck has never been the same either.

I don't have sympathy for people who make random u-turns.

Not that your story has anything to do with this thread but my u-turn wasn't random - it was like 2 AM and there wasn't another car on the road.

And u-turns are legal in many areas. (thumbs u

I'm sure the lady thought no one was around too. It was why she suddenly whipped a u-turn at 6:30 in the morning with no warning.

And yes they are legal in many areas. All she had to do was drive a block down the road and she could have made a legal u turn.

Sorry I'm still bitter about the huge scar on my head. If I go bald it'll be bad. My daughter says it is like Harry Potter.

Hey, I'm sorry about your accident and can relate from experience but is this where I vent about how little old ladies drive?

Yes please do.

I had a bunch of mess stolen from my truck too. If you're ever bleeding profusely from your head make sure you grab everything in your vehicle because the cops are taking anything that looks valuable.

Are you saying that the cops stole the stuff out of your vehicle?? :o

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I unfortunately got in an accident right as I crossed the line in to the city. Thus my truck was handled by BPD and then the one tow truck driver.

The thing that pissed me off was that the police department didn't give a mess. All they had to do was find out who the tow truck driver was and they could have questioned him.

There was a huge scandal in Baltimore City concerning the police and tow truck companies around the same time too. They were apparently getting a kick back from the tow truck companies for using the same ones over and over.

Once a car is getting towed it's a free for all. No way to tell who took what or who put that scratch in the side so it's freebie city.

I know most cities have contracts with certain tow truck companies in different areas. From what I hear, if the company gets a city contract they make tons of money. There are a lot of shady tow companies out there but I would hope they would not be the ones a city would hire but it wouldnt surprise me.

Fair enough?

I cut out all the other stuff to keep it short.

Okay. Fair enough. I really didn't intend my comment to be a low blow but you obviously felt different. And I have no problem publicly apologizing to anyone if I make a comment that they have hard feelings over. So...

RMA, I apologize.

Why is expecting the prospective buyer to adhere to the rules of the listing "uncool"? Why should a seller place any rules if they mean nothing? This is baffling to me.

-J.

I find it baffling too. If the seller posted 'the first one that comes to my house to rub my tummy trumps everything' then nobody would have won the book. :insane:

I think some people don't either agree with or believe Dan's intentions on why that rule was in place.

It's baffling that sellers use this rule, as well.

I agree 100%.

I also find 'usual rules' baffling, all the noobs pouring in here asking double GPA for books and most of all I find baffling how seriously some people make / take things.

I'd rather play 'care-free hippie'.

lol

I know most cities have contracts with certain tow truck companies in different areas. From what I hear, if the company gets a city contract they make tons of money. There are a lot of shady tow companies out there but I would hope they would not be the ones a city would hire but it wouldnt surprise me.

Just go through and read the headlines:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-police-towing-scheme,0,1333005.storygallery

I actually don't like it when my buyers post "I'll take it per PM" in the thread. It might give others the impression I'm discounting. I'll just mark the book sold. If someone posts the "take it" before I update, then I explain it sold via PM.

I don't know either Seems pretty cut-and-dry. Timestamp "wins".

I actually don't like it when my buyers post "I'll take it per PM" in the thread. It might give others the impression I'm discounting. I'll just mark the book sold. If someone posts the "take it" before I update, then explain it sold via PM.

Yup, me too.

I feel for Transplant. I know he likes DD and as I said, if it was my thread he'd have gotten the book but Dan's rules have always been Dan's rules.

I really do think that if people want to they can make the marketplace a better place. I think this topic comes up a couple of times a month lately.