• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED - Thread has de-railed!!

1,110 posts in this topic

2) Why didn't he clearly state in his reply to Transplant - if you agree with those terms, please post :takeit: in the thread per HIS rules?

Because he was too busy? Because he assumed Transplant would have read and assumed the rules? Who knows. I don't think either thought much about it and didn't think it was going to end up like this.

I drove to Florida once and I got lost. Then I pulled a u-turn on the turnpike I was on.

All the lady could say, over and over to me was that "You don't pull a u-turn on the turnpike" like it didn't matter that I had little kids with me in the car, that I was lost at 2AM in the morning and that I had no idea that I wasn't even supposed to pull a u-turn on the turnpike.

All that matters was that the rules stated that I pulled a u-turn on the turpike. Even if I thought it was a stupid rule. So I had to pay the full fare and she intimated that I'm lucky she doesn't call the police.

And that is why I have always believed that rules don't leave room for mercy (or doing what is right in the spirit of the law) in and of themselves. It comes down to personal interpretation. That is why rules are constantly reinterpreted and rewritten. Because sometimes they are stupid and they can be unfair (and you have to follow them even if they are unfair until they are made more fair officially).

Let's get with the program folks - it was a rule that was probably difficult for all to abide by and let's rewrite it officially.

I had a lady pull a u-turn illegally on me. I ran right in to her because she was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and I have a huge scar on my head. My truck has never been the same either.

I don't have sympathy for people who make random u-turns.

WTF (shrug)

What was that about?

Vintage posted a story about making illegal u-turns and how people should have sympathy for them. It was an attempt at an allegory. I shared my own anecdote.

I would like to apologize for all my earlier memes in this thread, it's not that they were bad or tasteless, well some were, but I haven't done these for months. :blush:

The good news is that I am already working on my memes for the "Apology Retraction Thread" :grin:

:foryou:

Since this abomination is still going on here's a simple question:

Who posted the :takeit: first, Mike in PM or the buyer in the thread?

If the buyer in the thread posted first by time stamp then it's his book. If Mike posted first in PM it should be his book.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. (shrug)

Seller used rules similar to Rupp's where the "take it in the thread trumps all PMs"

Time stamp favoured PM buyer, "in the thread" got the book.

If Mike agreed to the terms and said he would take the book and the time stamp occurred prior to the buyer's in the thread, then the seller is not conducting good business.

Simply referring back to a rule in the thread to circumvent a deal is not cool.

I had a lady pull a u-turn illegally on me. I ran right in to her because she was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and I have a huge scar on my head. My truck has never been the same either.

Not that your story has anything to do with this thread but my u-turn wasn't random - it was like 2 AM and there wasn't another car on the road.

And u-turns are legal in many areas. (thumbs u

I'm sure the lady thought no one was around too. It was why she suddenly whipped a u-turn at 6:30 in the morning with no warning.

And yes they are legal in many areas. All she had to do was drive a block down the road and she could have made a legal u turn.

Sorry I'm still bitter about the huge scar on my head. If I go bald it'll be bad. My daughter says it is like Harry Potter.

2) Why didn't he clearly state in his reply to Transplant - if you agree with those terms, please post :takeit: in the thread per HIS rules?

Because he was too busy? Because he assumed Transplant would have read and assumed the rules? Who knows. I don't think either thought much about it and didn't think it was going to end up like this.

I drove to Florida once and I got lost. Then I pulled a u-turn on the turnpike I was on.

All the lady could say, over and over to me was that "You don't pull a u-turn on the turnpike" like it didn't matter that I had little kids with me in the car, that I was lost at 2AM in the morning and that I had no idea that I wasn't even supposed to pull a u-turn on the turnpike.

All that matters was that the rules stated that I pulled a u-turn on the turpike. Even if I thought it was a stupid rule. So I had to pay the full fare and she intimated that I'm lucky she doesn't call the police.

And that is why I have always believed that rules don't leave room for mercy (or doing what is right in the spirit of the law) in and of themselves. It comes down to personal interpretation. That is why rules are constantly reinterpreted and rewritten. Because sometimes they are stupid and they can be unfair (and you have to follow them even if they are unfair until they are made more fair officially).

Let's get with the program folks - it was a rule that was probably difficult for all to abide by and let's rewrite it officially.

WTF (shrug)

What was that about?

Vintage posted a story about making illegal u-turns and how people should have sympathy for them. It was an attempt at an allegory. I shared my own anecdote.

You missed the point again.

It wasn't about sympathy for people who make illegal u-turns, it was about sympathy for people who had no idea they'd done anything wrong. The law doesn't have room in this regard and it is then up to a judge or interpretation.

This goes to anyone that states "Dan had rules and stuck with them. End of discussion. :sumo: "...

1) Did he or did he not have a deal struck with Transplant including an offer and acceptance of that offer?

:popcorn:

1. Yes I believe a deal was reached where a counter received a :takeit:

2. He has no obligation to reiterate a rule clearly stated where the book was listed for sale.

Could both have been handled better? Yes.

Is this the way this rule is designed to work? Yes.

The flawed argument being put forward that the "rules are out the window once he starts negotiating" is silly - a seller can negotiate all he wants while operating under the rule, the difference is the public record to consummate the deal must be posted to finalize it.

I agree. I just think we were beyond the negotiation point and at the deal being consummated point. All that was needed is Dan or Transplant to post an :takeit: in the thread. Dan SHOULD have said - there has been a mistake, the book was already sold. I didn't get a chance to update the thread. :sorry:

And that's JUST an opinion and nothing more. Dan obviously felt otherwise and did otherwise. And I get that if he went with Transplant, people would be arguing that the book should be Joey's per the rules. I guess it all comes down to:

(1) common sense being used in business transactions

vs.

(2) technical interpretation of clearly stated rules

Exactly, that is why on this board we have to use #2. :devil:

Not that your story has anything to do with this thread but my u-turn wasn't random - it was like 2 AM and there wasn't another car on the road.

I'm sure the lady thought no one was around too. It was why she suddenly whipped a u-turn at 6:30 in the morning with no warning.

And yes they are legal in many areas. All she had to do was drive a block down the road and she could have made a legal u turn.

Sorry I'm still bitter about the huge scar on my head. If I go bald it'll be bad. My daughter says it is like Harry Potter.

Hey, I'm sorry about your accident and can relate from experience but is this where I vent about how little old ladies drive?

WTF (shrug)

What was that about?

You missed the point again.

It wasn't about sympathy for people who make illegal u-turns, it was about sympathy for people who had no idea they'd done anything wrong. The law doesn't have room in this regard and it is then up to a judge or interpretation.

No I understand. Laws need to have grey areas. Rule 48 in hockey has a bunch of grey areas.

I get it.

I just hate illegal u-turns!

If the buyer in the thread posted first by time stamp then it's his book. If Mike posted first in PM it should be his book.

Seller used rules similar to Rupp's where the "take it in the thread trumps all PMs"

If Mike agreed to the terms and said he would take the book and the time stamp occurred prior to the buyer's in the thread, then the seller is not conducting good business.

Why is expecting the prospective buyer to adhere to the rules of the listing "uncool"? Why should a seller place any rules if they mean nothing? This is baffling to me.

-J.

Hey, I'm sorry about your accident and can relate from experience but is this where I vent about how little old ladies drive?

Yes please do.

I had a bunch of mess stolen from my truck too. If you're ever bleeding profusely from your head make sure you grab everything in your vehicle because the cops are taking anything that looks valuable.

Laws need to have grey areas.

Actually, laws are not supposed to have grey areas. When they are found to have grey areas then they are rewritten to eliminate the grey areas.

Which is what this thread is all about.

Yes please do.

I had a bunch of mess stolen from my truck too. If you're ever bleeding profusely from your head make sure you grab everything in your vehicle because the cops are taking anything that looks valuable.

:popcorn:

Seller's rule specifically stated first "I'll take it" in thread consummates the deal. First buyer didn't post the sign, he opted to negotiate in PM's at his own peril, mist likely to secure a lower sales price even though the seller ALSO said in his listing the price was firm.

it simply does not matter what happened in PM's, including whether or not they agreed to something in principal in PM. Why? BECAUSE THE SELLER CLEARLY STATED IN THE LISTING THAT THE FIRST "I'LL TAKE IT" IN THE THREAD TRUMPS "ALL PM'S". Sorry for the caps right there.

The first buyer clearly was aware that he needed to post the "I'll take it" in the thread to cinch the deal. How do we know this? Because he did so. But by then it was too late. Roulette posted the first "I'll take it" in the thread. No negotiating. No haggling. He accepted the seller's terms in full, and complied faithfully with the explicit terms of the listing.

The vagaries of contract law, this and that, time stamps in PMs etc, none of that is relevant. The seller stated his terms. He does not need to restate them in PMs. If he changed rules in PM people would be howling in protest even more so.

So let's cut the seller a break here. We can all feel sympathy for the buyer who ultimately missed out on the book, but again, he negotiated in PM at his own peril. All he had to do was say "I'll take it per PM" in the thread, if he did in fact intend on accepting dan's counter. Everyone is jumping on dan, but no one is questioning why the first prospective buyer didn't simply post the sign, since dan's listing said he needed to do that.

-J.

Not just a PM though. A PM that resulted in an agreement. It's not like back and forth before finally saying I'll take it in a PM.

Does not matter. The buyer rolled the dice by trying to haggle and the earlier bird got the worm. "First 'I'll take it' in thread trumps ALL PMs"

-J.

He negotiated and reached an agreement. Gambling ended when that agreement came.

"I'll take trumps PMs" is not the same as "I'll take it trumps PMs and agreements made in those PMs"

Actually it does mean just that. Again the whole point of saying first I'll take it in thread wins is to dissuade time consuming nickel and diming. Even if an agreement was reached in principal the first buyer still had to consummate it in the thread with an I'll take it. Why didn't he just do that ? Why is no one asking that and trying to make it seem like dan dealt in bad faith somehow? His listing rules could not have been more clear. "First I'll take it in thread trumps "ALL PM's".

You're distorting the arguments. No one said anything about Dan dealing in bad faith. In fact, many people have said that Dan did nothing out of bad faith...he simply made an error in judgment.

If the deal absolutely hinged on who posted in the thread first, then it was clearly the paramount consideration, and no deal should have been made with Tranny without it.

Some may not like that he wrote that but it was his listing he can set his rules and I've seen that stipulation plenty of times. Roulette followed the rules, so he should somehow NOT get the book because another buyer wanted to haggle with the seller on his "firm" price? Let's look at both sides here. Fan made the right call. He followed his own listing rules. Roulette gets the book.

-J.

You are misrepresenting the situation. There was no continued "haggling" going on. The deal was already made before roulette posted.

Wrong. "First 'I'll take it' in thread trumps ALL PM's". I'm not "misrepresenting" anything. If the negotiating was done the first buyer should have complied with the terms stated publicly in the listing and posted the sign. But he didn't. Another buyer did. No negotiating. Book sold rightfully to the buyer who actually adhered to the terms of the listing.

-J.

You said "so he should somehow NOT get the book because another buyer wanted to haggle with the seller on his "firm" price?"

That is not what happened.

It is a misrepresentation of the situation.

Again, no. If the first buyer did not want to negotiate he would have simply thrown up the sign and been done with it. I don't buy that he was "too busy" to do it after having already supposedly PM ing back and forth, or forgot to do it or didn't refresh his screen until suddenly a few minutes after another buyer decided to pull the trigger and accept the seller's terms in full. I am by no means disparaging the first prospective buyer, but I do believe he made an honest mistake and dropped the ball a little and it did cost him the book he wanted. He really just should have thrown up the sign if negotiations were really done, it would have literally taken him two seconds to do that to secure the book. As I said earlier his failure to do so could very easily have been interpreted by the seller as an "oh, maybe he's still needing to think about it after all". I'm not saying that's what happened but that would be a reasonable thought if the first buyer fails to adhere to the terms of the listing to consummate everything. Had the first buyer simply done that, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So why is this dan's fault ?

-J.

Honestly, I never thought in any thread to put up an 'I'll take it" after I successfully negotiated a sale through a PM. I would do it if the seller asked me to in our conversation but I never had something like what happened to Transplant, happen to me. Seriously, why do you have to spike the football after the TD. If I should lose it to those rules, so be it. I am sure there is another book out there that will make me happy. That was my plug to Transplant. His $ will find another awesome collectible for his collection. Not to worry.

If you really want to play hardcore with the final sale, then technically whoever gives compensation ($, down payment) wins. Forget the I'll take it.

Yes please do.

Are you saying that the cops stole the stuff out of your vehicle?? :o

Transplant didn't post an actual "take it" in the PM. However, Dan responded to an offer with his terms and Transplant responded ok before the "take it" in the thread was posted.

Time stamps don't lie, I'm not sure why the rule can't simply be whoever takes it first, by time stamp in PM or in the thread, wins it.

People should have the right to not make their purchases public yet still have their deals honored.

Why is expecting the prospective buyer to adhere to the rules of the listing "uncool"? Why should a seller place any rules if they mean nothing? This is baffling to me.

-J.

I find it baffling too. If the seller posted 'the first one that comes to my house to rub my tummy trumps everything' then nobody would have won the book. :insane:

I think some people don't either agree with or believe Dan's intentions on why that rule was in place.