• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a Church Terrific 5?

92 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been a fan of Terrific 5 for as long as I can remember. I know that there is a 9.4 (Crowley) out there, but does anyone know if a Mile High copy exists?

Yes, I just took a quick look at my copy of the Mile High catalogue and it lists a Terrific Comics #5 in NM+ condition for the outragously astonomical price of $8.00! :takeit:

It's whereabouts are not known by those who usually know such things.

So Crowley (possibly) bought the Church copy, making the Crowley copy the Church copy. Confusing, but interesting...

I don't know much about Crowley, but I assume his collection didn't just contain Fawcetts?

So Crowley (possibly) bought the Church copy, making the Crowley copy the Church copy. Confusing, but interesting...

I don't know much about Crowley, but I assume his collection didn't just contain Fawcetts?

There were two parts to Crowley's collection: two copies of each Fawcett comic and one copy of many of the comics of Fawcett's competitors.

Verzyl has information that Crowley purchased comics at some Cons that he attended. If so it is possible that he purchased a Church copy, though we have no known instances of their being a coded Church copy in Crowley's collection.

The Terrific 5 is a late enough comic that the Church copy may not have had a code (Rozanski didn't record much in the way of detail about each book) so it can't be ruled out that the it isn't the Church but it's hard to be certain that it is, either.

There were two parts to Crowley's collection: two copies of each Fawcett comic and one copy of many of the comics of Fawcett's competitors.

Verzyl has information that Crowley purchased comics at some Cons that he attended. If so it is possible that he purchased a Church copy, though we have no known instances of their being a coded Church copy in Crowley's collection.

The Terrific 5 is a late enough comic that the Church copy may not have had a code (Rozanski didn't record much in the way of detail about each book) so it can't be ruled out that the it isn't the Church but it's hard to be certain that it is, either.

That's the story john told me. I've held the 9.4 many times, contemplating purchasing but never willing to pull the trigger

That's the story john told me. I've held the 9.4 many times, contemplating purchasing but never willing to pull the trigger

Verzyl told me the same story. He asked me if I thought it was the Mile High copy. I told him it looked possible, but without taking it out of the holder and smelling the book and holding it, I could not say for sure. I used to own the Mile High copy of Terrific Comics #4. The colors & inks on both books look to be about the same.

It's a beautiful copy either way!

Couldn't agree with you more, West! That 9.4 is a stunner! While we're on the subject, other than the Crowley and the Overstreet copy (which, I guess, technically isn't a pedigree), do any other pedigree copies exist?

Couldn't agree with you more, West! That 9.4 is a stunner! While we're on the subject, other than the Crowley and the Overstreet copy (which, I guess, technically isn't a pedigree), do any other pedigree copies exist?

There is also a Crippen copy

Verzyl told me the same story. He asked me if I thought it was the Mile High copy. I told him it looked possible, but without taking it out of the holder and smelling the book and holding it, I could not say for sure. I used to own the Mile High copy of Terrific Comics #4. The colors & inks on both books look to be about the same.

It's a beautiful copy either way!

I may hate the answer, but does he have a price on it?

Yep. Cgc 7.5. Owned it for years :cloud9:

Yep. Cgc 7.5. Owned it for years :cloud9:

:applause:

I may hate the answer, but does he have a price on it?

The first time I saw it the price was $44k. Since it didn't sell at that price he decided it could just easily not sell at a higher price which was something over $70k (I forgot how much over it is now).

And a Big Apple, for which I had to sacrifice a bull, a ram and a chicken, to the elephant god of wisdom, Ganesh - I mean GAtor.

terrific5.jpg