• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a Church Terrific 5?

92 posts in this topic

I bought a high grade copy of Terrific #5 from the Overstreet Collection, at the Diamond Galleries grand opening in Timonium.

I bought it for $500.00 and sold it to Steve F. next week at NY for 5K and Steve was pleased to acquire it.

BTW: At the Diamond galleries opening I also picked up the Human Torch #8 (Riley/SF copy) which has been graded 9.8, and the Wonderworld #7 (Allentown) which was killer!

Dwight

Wonder what the over street copy would be worth now in the post suspense 3 CGC 9;0 sale world.

I believe overstreet owned the Crowley copy that verzyl sold to a boardie for mid 5 figures...

I have 4 or 5 copies of terrific 5...always been one of my favs

Did the suspense 3 9.0 sale impact terrific 5 pricing at all or do so few copies change hands its not clear or not yet clear?

Maybe it's a silly question because of low turnover maybe a better question is should the suspense sale ripple through and impact terrific 5.

I bought a high grade copy of Terrific #5 from the Overstreet Collection, at the Diamond Galleries grand opening in Timonium.

I bought it for $500.00 and sold it to Steve F. next week at NY for 5K and Steve was pleased to acquire it.

BTW: At the Diamond galleries opening I also picked up the Human Torch #8 (Riley/SF copy) which has been graded 9.8, and the Wonderworld #7 (Allentown) which was killer!

Dwight

Wonder what the over street copy would be worth now in the post suspense 3 CGC 9;0 sale world.

I believe overstreet owned the Crowley copy that verzyl sold to a boardie for mid 5 figures...

Do you have a copy in 5.0 that you could sell me for the mid 3 figures? hm

Dwight

I have a copy in 5.0 that I can sell for mid 4 figures lol

Dwight

I have a copy in 5.0 that I can sell for mid 4 figures lol

So...that would be about $12.46...OK, you got a deal...

She is considered a Crowley. Might be a Mile High. One thing is for sure, she is a beauty!

:sumo:

It certainly looks as fresh as a Mile High :applause:

So the book is re slabed now with CBCS and is labeled as an Edgar Church , i mean how they know the pedigree is there a notation inside?

She is considered a Crowley. Might be a Mile High. One thing is for sure, she is a beauty!

So the book is re slabed now with CBCS and is labeled as an Edgar Church , i mean how they know the pedigree is there a notation inside?

West said he owned the Church #4.

In addition, Church books do have distinct features other than just the code.

I'd trust Borock and West's judgement on a Ped as much as anyone's.

West said he owned the Church #4.

In addition, Church books do have distinct features other than just the code.

I'd trust Borock and West's judgement on a Ped as much as anyone's.

Right a certain familiar smell is one determining factor.

I am certainly not doubting the providence of the book but my concern was Borock and West and Haspel were at CGc when the book was initially graded a Crowley and not mile high

As many know this is one of my top five favorite books of all time and on multiple occasions I almost bought it from Verzyl but had I have known it truly was the Milehigh I might've ponied up at the time

I am certainly not doubting the providence of the book but my concern was Borock and West and Haspel were at CGc when the book was initially graded a Crowley and not mile high

That is strange, what would have changed? Maybe they didn't inspect in detail the first time around...?

It's easy for subtleties to slip under the radar, especially if they were grading a run of Crowleys at the time (or whatever). Nobody would expect a Church in the wild and being a Crowley Ped would throw someone off the track even further.

Closer scrutiny may show something they'd missed previously.

As many know this is one of my top five favorite books of all time and on multiple occasions I almost bought it from Verzyl but had I have known it truly was the Milehigh I might've ponied up at the time

Had anyone been sure it was the Church copy it would have sold sooner.

Someone rolled the dice and won.

You need to run your risk / reward odds past me next time! :foryou:

I run those questions by my cat. She has a better track record.

I run those questions by my cat. She has a better track record.

:cry:

this thread was agreat,great read.

Indeed! I missed it the first time.

I might as well add to it, Borock's explanation from his Facebook comments of determining the pedigree change

Well....1st of all, it does not look like a Crowley copy and looks just like a Church copy. 2nd, we made calls and emails reaching out to some of the top hobbyists and 3rd, West & I have seen and owned more Church copies than most people and can tell by the smell, raised reflective inks, page quality and other tell tale signs.

I might as well add to it, Borock's explanation from his Facebook comments of determining the pedigree change

Well....1st of all, it does not look like a Crowley copy and looks just like a Church copy. 2nd, we made calls and emails reaching out to some of the top hobbyists and 3rd, West & I have seen and owned more Church copies than most people and can tell by the smell, raised reflective inks, page quality and other tell tale signs.

CGC was confident that the book came from Crowley, a fact relatively easy to verify given the way the Crowley copies came to market. It would be interesting to know if there is any reason to doubt that. If it did come from Crowley and is the Church copy, then it was purchased by Crowley and that is an interesting fact.

CGC was confident that the book came from Crowley, a fact relatively easy to verify given the way the Crowley copies came to market. It would be interesting to know if there is any reason to doubt that. If it did come from Crowley and is the Church copy, then it was purchased by Crowley and that is an interesting fact.

Wouldn't that negate Crowley as a pedigree if they aren't original owner?