• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2014

315 posts in this topic

I just placed a couple tracking bids. This one could hurt my savings account.

John B.

John, you don't need to bid to track lots in Heritage, only Comiclink.

I did it so I would not have a hard time relocating the lots I am interested in.

John

There is tracking auctions and there is tracking auctions. There are some items I am interested in bidding on depending on the price but there others that I am just interested to see what they are going for. The later I am tracking 100 items, so I want a smaller subset of auctions that I am considering bidding on so tracking bids helps limit and easier to track.

There is tracking auctions and there is tracking auctions. There are some items I am interested in bidding on depending on the price but there others that I am just interested to see what they are going for. The later I am tracking 100 items, so I want a smaller subset of auctions that I am considering bidding on so tracking bids helps limit and easier to track.

Ah, so. I bow to the masters. Maybe I will try this myself even.

How accurate does everyone think HA's price estimates are?

I'm not seeing any estimates...? Am I about to get schooled twice in one thread? ???

I'm not seeing any estimates...? Am I about to get schooled twice in one thread? ???

If your tracking or bidding on items it shows up in the list view at the end of each items description.

They couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Kidding. I find they are under the final prices on many of the high value items.

I have seen estimates in the past be 100% or more too high on certain items, especially on mid-range items. I remember one Zeck cover last year with a $25K+ estimate (which was obviously too high from the outset) that barely cracked $10K. IIRC, those Fastner & Larson X-Men portfolio plates were wildly off as well.

Most pieces are generally conservative/reasonable, but I also see a number of pieces in the current auction that are definitely on the aggressive side, maybe to appease their respective consignors.

They couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Kidding. I find they are under the final prices on many of the high value items.

I have seen estimates in the past be 100% or more too high on certain items, especially on mid-range items. I remember one Zeck cover last year with a $25K+ estimate (which was obviously too high from the outset) that barely cracked $10K. IIRC, those Fastner & Larson X-Men portfolio plates were wildly off as well.

Most pieces are generally conservative/reasonable, but I also see a number of pieces in the current auction that are definitely on the aggressive side, maybe to appease their respective consignors.

Agree, it seems to me that the really high end stuff is hard to overestimate (because of a record setting market and all) its the mid range stuff that seems to me it can be way off in either direction (at least on a percentage basis). It makes me wonder how much of a self fulfilling prophecy there is though. If you know ahead of time piece X is estimated at 10k when you thought 7k do you try and prepare yourself to bid more. In conclusion I would rather there be no estimates published.

Can't see estimates in either Explorer or Firefox on my work computer, so it may have to do with the security/privacy settings rather than the browser itself. They do appear in the Heritage app on my iPad, so there's that.

They are displayed both on MyBids and on MyTrackedLots. If you're on a page starting with "comics.ha.com/" try to replace the "comics" part with "www". Sometimes it does not display, I change the subdomain and it works.

I use Safari and couldn't see the estimates. Using the below trick worked for me…thanks!

They are displayed both on MyBids and on MyTrackedLots. If you're on a page starting with "comics.ha.com/" try to replace the "comics" part with "www". Sometimes it does not display, I change the subdomain and it works.