• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2014

315 posts in this topic

well, I couldn't help myself and bid on the Lucille Ball by Bill Everett. I have been wanting an Everett Dr Strange but this is a beautiful piece!

I also love the Alex Raymond Christmas piece but my $3K isn't going to cut it.

I am such an outlier...how many others are tracking Art Adams pages as well as the Jean Harlow illustration? Not many I would guess!

Just saw this in catalog, Hulk vs Thing. Buckler/Sinnott from 1974.. great fight page. Also John R Sr..marvel splash page is super. The "war against crime" Craig cover is very cool also. A lot of very quality pieces this time.

well, I couldn't help myself and bid on the Lucille Ball by Bill Everett. I have been wanting an Everett Dr Strange but this is a beautiful piece!

I also love the Alex Raymond Christmas piece but my $3K isn't going to cut it.

I am such an outlier...how many others are tracking Art Adams pages as well as the Jean Harlow illustration? Not many I would guess!

The Lucille ball illustration is really nice!

I'm tracking a lot but I'm only seriously considering 2 or 3

Man, that Alex Raymond Christmas illustration is magnificent. I have been trying to swim upstream to a bigger pool with larger fish slowly but surely and hope something as beautiful as this is available if I ever get there, God willing. As Captain Lou Albano said often in the immortal Danny DeVito/Joe Piscopo cinematic classic WISE GUYS: "I can't wait. I can't effin' wait!"

Congrats to whomever ends up with this one: it is at $5.3K now and its' size might make it really fly. Go get it people!

Inspired by many, many comments from Gene, I've been trying to discover the price of one special item that lands fairly late in the auction, but so far nobody wants to play :sorry:

Well, I just learned today that I won't be winning the Byrne UXM #142 page... :P

It's odd that the dates Heritage Auctions end, shortly thereafter, the ComicLink auctions begin... So much competition vying for consumer money! :)

I guess if you're a buyer/seller, you can look at it as maybe selling in either auction to fund/finance your buys as well as if you're just a buyer, then whatever you don't end up spending at Heritage, I guess you'll roll those funds and give ComicLink a whack.

I'd rather see 'em spread apart independently of each other giving me time to recover from the sensory overload of so many great options to choose from to bid and buy.

I did attend a Heritage Auction live before and they catered in some food for attendees, and it was simply fun to participate in both active bidding and passive voyeurism in seeing some remarkable pieces sell for astonishing prices. I'd encourage folks to attend for the experience.

This is a pretty minor listing in this auction but I'm curious how it'll end seeing as how it sold for $1,673 back in May '13 and until now Burkey had it on his website for $2,800. Wonder if just the nature of an auction is enough to yield a (higher) premium that people weren't willing to pay in a straight sale.

This is a pretty minor listing in this auction but I'm curious how it'll end seeing as how it sold for $1,673 back in May '13 and until now Burkey had it on his website for $2,800. Wonder if just the nature of an auction is enough to yield a (higher) premium that people weren't willing to pay in a straight sale.

I think sometimes with auctions, the fear and threat of a piece selling inspires people to step up to the plate and even end up paying more than any initial offering price.

I think "reserves" sometimes hurts auctions since some bidders hope the item doesn't hit the reserve so it can be relisted for a lower price. Some people test discovering the reserve by nudging small bids. Others just stay away 'til the very last moment and see where it's at, but if the reserve isn't met, put in a conservative bid.

When there's no reserve and bidding starts at $0, the item's going to definitely sell, so some of those sitting on the sidelines are motivated to step up or step aside, and often find themselves getting caught up in the drama of a bidding war.

It's easy to have that 20/20 hindsight regret not to buy direct (straight sale) or on places like eBay where there's a "Buy it Now" option, but some feel strategic trying to obtain the piece at a lower price than the guaranteed bird-in-the-hand price which they might think is too high, only to realize the marketplace can dictate otherwise and bidding bypasses that former opportunity.

I think auctions are fun, and it's so easy to get caught up in the excitement. I like Heritage's live auction "going going gone!" environment.

I just checked it out, 35k with the juice. Expensive but isn't that not unexpected for a byrne page of that quality from that issue? I know I've seen 20 and 30k byrne pages that I liked less.

Well said.

To me, there always seems to be a built-in premium whenever I see the 'SNIKT' sound effect of Wolverine extending his claws.

This page also has the rarer 'SNAKT' sound effect of Wolverine sheathing his claws so perhaps an additional markup for this, too :roflmao:

I just checked it out, 35k with the juice. Expensive but isn't that not unexpected for a byrne page of that quality from that issue? I know I've seen 20 and 30k byrne pages that I liked less.

Well said.

To me, there always seems to be a built-in premium whenever I see the 'SNIKT' sound effect of Wolverine extending his claws.

This page also has the rarer 'SNAKT' sound effect of Wolverine sheathing his claws so perhaps an additional markup for this, too :roflmao:

I thought it was common knowledge that a 'SNAKT' was worth at least an extra 5K. (shrug)