• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX admits Elliot wrongdoing

142 posts in this topic

His comment in full:

This is something from almost a decade ago and I do not feel the need to address it anymore. People are going to believe what they want, nothing I say is likely to change that. We are not our past but we have become a much better company by learning from it. We have made mistakes, but we have learned and grown from them and they made us a better company. I respect people's honest opinions and have taken a lot a constructive criticism and have used much of it to make changes to make the company better in every way possible.

PGX is comprised of a great group of guys with integrity that all care greatly about comics and our customers. We do not ever intentionally over-grade or under-grade. We treat our customers like friends and we offer the best service we can to every single one while still always trying to improve and offer more. We do not have a PR dept. or lawyers on stand-by or millions of dollars for advertizing but we are still here offering a great service at a great price.

We hardly ever hear a negative comment from any of our customers and that is something we are very proud of. We are offering new services at better prices than anyone else and IMO doing a better job. We are offering a new service no one is currently offering.

Now, if you want to talk about those things we can. :thumbsup2:

Hope that didn't sound like a commercial for PGX, lol. Like I said, it is just me. No PR guy to rewrite everything.

Dan

It feels like damage-control boilerplate that's shown up from time to time over the decade, on STL, ComicsPriceGuide and elsewhere. Never mentions Elliot (making this thread's title misleading), never specifically names any of their "great group of guys", we made mistakes, growing as a company, yada, yada.

A lot of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons new to the hobby seem to be embracing PGX because of the low cost and refuse to believe they are still capable of doing shady things, which is just ridiculous. Their reason being that because they are using them to slab moderns there is no risk of them personally experiencing any shenanigans so why not go with the cheaper grading option.

I think a huge part that you are missing is turn around times are really fast at PGX. The people that make money on moderns are the quick flippers.

It is why another company bragging about quick turn around times is going to be interesting in the modern speculation market…

I'm not missing out on anything. Your modern flipper is willing to turn a blind eye to a scumbag company, and even give them their business, because they believe they are immune to their shady actions. That is my point. No different than the forum users here who support probation list and hall of shame members because they have cool books for sale.

A lot of sports card hucksters

their google plus community is intolerable.

Is it just me or do raw comics with grades in descriptions trade higher than slabbed books in PGX holders?

Perhaps here, but not in the real world. Most auctions I watch, PGX books sell for less then CGC, but more than raw.

A lot of sports card hucksters new to the hobby seem to be embracing PGX because of the low cost and refuse to believe they are still capable of doing shady things, which is just ridiculous. Their reason being that because they are using them to slab moderns there is no risk of them personally experiencing any shenanigans so why not go with the cheaper grading option.

That's exactly what it is. I :facepalm: every time I see it brought up in a discussion.

Bought that is the way Western Society has been brought up to believe - that cheaper and faster = better.

You nearly ALWAYS get what you pay for. ALWAYS. So if that's the case, why do people continually chase cheaper?

Is it just me or do raw comics with grades in descriptions trade higher than slabbed books in PGX holders?

Perhaps here, but not in the real world. Most auctions I watch, PGX books sell for less then CGC, but more than raw.

A lot of sports card hucksters new to the hobby seem to be embracing PGX because of the low cost and refuse to believe they are still capable of doing shady things, which is just ridiculous. Their reason being that because they are using them to slab moderns there is no risk of them personally experiencing any shenanigans so why not go with the cheaper grading option.

That's exactly what it is. I :facepalm: every time I see it brought up in a discussion.

Bought that is the way Western Society has been brought up to believe - that cheaper and faster = better.

You nearly ALWAYS get what you pay for. ALWAYS. So if that's the case, why do people continually chase cheaper?

Didnt you talk to Elliott one time Roy?

I've seen him a zillion times. Can't remember if I've ever spoken to him. Might have, in passing. I know once he really tried to make sure I didn't see him.

+infinity

A lot of bad ebay transactions seem to come from them too.

His comment in full:

This is something from almost a decade ago and I do not feel the need to address it anymore. People are going to believe what they want, nothing I say is likely to change that. We are not our past but we have become a much better company by learning from it. We have made mistakes, but we have learned and grown from them and they made us a better company. I respect people's honest opinions and have taken a lot a constructive criticism and have used much of it to make changes to make the company better in every way possible.

PGX is comprised of a great group of guys with integrity that all care greatly about comics and our customers. We do not ever intentionally over-grade or under-grade. We treat our customers like friends and we offer the best service we can to every single one while still always trying to improve and offer more. We do not have a PR dept. or lawyers on stand-by or millions of dollars for advertizing but we are still here offering a great service at a great price.

We hardly ever hear a negative comment from any of our customers and that is something we are very proud of. We are offering new services at better prices than anyone else and IMO doing a better job. We are offering a new service no one is currently offering.

Now, if you want to talk about those things we can. :thumbsup2:

Hope that didn't sound like a commercial for PGX, lol. Like I said, it is just me. No PR guy to rewrite everything.

Dan

It feels like damage-control boilerplate that's shown up from time to time over the decade, on STL, ComicsPriceGuide and elsewhere. Never mentions Elliot (making this thread's title misleading), never specifically names any of their "great group of guys", we made mistakes, growing as a company, yada, yada.

Perhaps, but to add context, the full response above was triggered by this very simple question:

"Q: If Ryan Elliot is not an employee of PGX, what is his current or his most recent association with PGX?"

Hard to believe that such a long and vague reply admitting "mistakes" has nothing to do with Elliot.

Yea I should have included the question. You realize he isn't going to respond anymore? I was honestly surprised he responded again at all…

I agree. He knows no one over there is going to be duped by his BS, he probably thought he was engaging with a young group of modern collectors who just care about shiny plastic things rather than submitting to credible grading companies. PGX days are numbered.

I've seen him a zillion times. Can't remember if I've ever spoken to him. Might have, in passing. I know once he really tried to make sure I didn't see him.

I thought he called you on the phone one time,using the Terence Leder alais.

Ah, I thought you meant in person.

Yes, when I first got on eBay I bought a few PGX books from him. Back then even CGC was new.

PGXguy (Dan) is posting over there again, this time about the famous TMNT video:

Postby PGXguy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:49 pm

(Postby aggr1103 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I want to hear the story behind the TMNT 1 YouTube video that everyone has seen. We've heard that guys side of the story and it would be interesting to hear the PGX side.)

I do not believe that Youtube video is truthful. I do not believe that book was switched. I believe it was a label error that someone used to their advantage. I could not prove it 100% at the time so I made it right with the person. Even though I did not believe it was possible or that anyone would do that I still made it right or tried at least to make it right. I think the video itself shows it to be false.

Only one other person has accused us of switching a book which he later apologized for and made it clear he did not believe we did anything wrong. So, one person in 12 years. And somehow that makes us a crooked company (in some people's eyes)? I don't think so.

Since then we have had several people try to blackmail us with books that had label errors. Basically 'money or I put this out there for everyone to see'. Each time I said the same thing 'If we made a mistake we will correct it but we won't pay to hide or cover it up'. Some people may feel or think differently but PGX is an honest company with integrity.

http://thecomicbookforum.com/forum/grading-and-restoration/pgx---professional-grading-experts/update-the-pgx-story-429?p=6047#p6047

I have to agree that video was hinky.

Who carefully videos themselves opening a slab in a very documentary way unless they are gathering proof of something they already know about?

BTW... permissions have been corrected... guest are able to view that forum the link was posted in. Also just to add... Tim was banned for spam and for advertising the forum. As Arch put it...

There is a long standing policy of disallowing promotion of competitive resources on the CCG boards - including competitive communities.

I wish you luck with your board, but promoting it here isn't acceptable.

Neither is sending large numbers of PMs.

If you are seeking to promote your site, pay for advertising someplace where it is not a competitive activity.

So yeah... take it how you will...

PGX Dan finally provided a partial answer to whether or not Ryan Elliot is still associated with PGX (he did not answer the question of how recent this change is):

"Re: UPDATE: The PGX Story

Postby PGXguy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:44 pm

He is not a partner, co-owner or have any association with PGX in any capacity! You or anyone else will either believe this or you won't."

I have asked him the following:

Q: When did Ryan Elliot leave PGX?

Q: Has PGX considered a buy back program to remove Elliot tainted slabs from circulation?

Q: Why was one of your company personnel allowed to grade, slab, and sell their own books, as you know, that violates the core integrity of any grading company. How many years did Ryan Elliot engage in this practice?

Q: Are current employees or their families allowed to buy, sell, or submit PGX comics for grading?

PGX Dan finally provided a partial answer to whether or not Ryan Elliot is still associated with PGX (he did not answer the question of how recent this change is):

"Re: UPDATE: The PGX Story

Postby PGXguy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:44 pm

He is not a partner, co-owner or have any association with PGX in any capacity! You or anyone else will either believe this or you won't."

I have asked him the following:

Q: When did Ryan Elliot leave PGX?

Q: Has PGX considered a buy back program to remove Elliot tainted slabs from circulation?

Q: Why was one of your company personnel allowed to grade, slab, and sell their own books, as you know, that violates the core integrity of any grading company. How many years did Ryan Elliot engage in this practice?

Q: Are current employees or their families allowed to buy, sell, or submit PGX comics for grading?

There's a Site Admin giving him all kinds of cover. What's up with that?

Advocating mutual respect is one thing, but it's like kid-gloves reserved for VIPs came out. Kind of weird, with an underlying ' please don't hassle our special guest ' vibe.