• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all your keys for your grail?

97 posts in this topic

Like the thread title says.

Would you sell off all of your keys to purchase your grail?

Or, at least enough to afford your grail.

Me, I have put together quite the collection in this year alone. So these books were fairly easy to obtain.

X-Men 1 1.0, Incredible Hulk 181 4.0, GXM1 6.5, etc.

Should I sell them off to save up enough for Amazing Fantasy 15?

After the grail is acheived, I could always hunt down the easier books that I miss...

Thoughts?

Like the thread title says.

Would you sell off all of your keys to purchase your grail?

Or, at least enough to afford your grail.

Me, I have put together quite the collection in this year alone. So these books were fairly easy to obtain.

X-Men 1 1.0, Incredible Hulk 181 4.0, GXM1 6.5, etc.

Should I sell them off to save up enough for Amazing Fantasy 15?

After the grail is acheived, I could always hunt down the easier books that I miss...

Thoughts?

When I was growing up my grail didn't change. It was always Marvel Comics #1. I finally bought and owned my grail a few years ago. I had to sell my Marvel run when I became a full time dealer because it was just too much personal money tied up in books but I still consider it my grail to this day and am dying to own one again.

For people nowadays, it just seems that the term grail is applied to anything that catches their fancy that week or that month or that year. I actually don't think people understand what the term grail means. It's a one of a kind. It's exclusive. It's special and irreplaceable with another 'grail'. At least that's what it used to mean.

My point is, that if this is something that you've always wanted and will cherish and it will remain a grail, then yeah, do what it takes. But if it's just a 'grail' (quotations) and that 'grail' will change with the weather, then don't bother.

I really do not have a grail anymore. I thought at some point my grail was AF 15, but I decided I really do not care if I own it or not. My favorite characters in comics have been the villians. Green Goblin, Thanos, and Juggernaut are my top 3 characters. I have their 1st appearances and I got Stan Lee to sign my very first copy of ASM 14. So I am happy with what I have.

On the other hand....I could always just save up for it and not be so impatient.

boo, we want instant gratification. Buy it now!

I agree, save up and buy the AF15 as well. Unless you can guarantee a large profit from selling all the keys.

No. It took quite a bit of time and money to find the items I do have, and there is no absolute 'gotta have' book for me out there.

I would love a Superman or Batman No 1, but I am not going to pay thousands for a book that is mid-grade or less. I like the visual appeal of the book, not just the investment value.

I gave up the dream of owning my grail years ago when my wife and I decided to have kids. Expensive they are.

By the way....when you step away from this hobby for 20 years, there is quite a bit of sticker shock when you come back. :o